South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Thought they might've given Alex Doolan a crack. I know one century doesn't make a season but against that South African attack. Food for thought.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I agree that Hughes, Khawaja, Smith should be kept out until they're right to come in and stay in - even if that means playing journeymen and losing matches in the interim. David Warner is the only batsman in our current squad to have even a moderate chance of playing Test cricket 5 years from now (I'm assuming Watto and Clarke will retire early due to injury), which doesn't say great things about our prospects. What it does say, though, is that at least two of our three discarded "talents" needs to make good if we're to have any chance of fielding a decent top six in 2017-18. That should take priority over any short-term considerations.

It's all a bit doom and gloom, really. On the bright side, our thin batting ranks might mean that David Hussey finally gets to wear a baggy green this summer!

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I think Dave Hussey has had his time sadly. I really like him as a player and I wish he had got his chance but I think if he was ever going to be called up, it would of been now instead of Quiney. The fact that his bowling is quite handy, as you mentioned before, would of been really handy. Especially in this Test.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The problem is really just finding top order players who are performing like top order players. There are middle order options; I think if the situation was a bit different, players like Maxwell or Burns could well have been contenders, but a lot of the openers and 3s are struggling quite badly.

Doolan has really only impressed in the last month and a bit. I think he's got a good temper and a good ability to play the ball late, but his last season was pretty bad. Keep him in the pie warmer and see how he goes. Liam Davis moved a long way with a triple century last summer, but if you take that one innings away, he is actually quite light on runs. Again you just want to see him add to that. Cosgrove often looks like a much better player than the numbers show; the main problem there is seeing him really kick on. Even then, we're talking about players who are 26 and 28. They're not so much younger that it's crazy to pick a 30 year old. To some extent the Aus A squad did back these sorts of players, but it's equally important to see if any of the rest respond to not being picked.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Cosgrove often looks like a much better player than the numbers show; the main problem there is seeing him really kick on. Even then, we're talking about players who are 26 and 28. They're not so much younger that it's crazy to pick a 30 year old. To some extent the Aus A squad did back these sorts of players, but it's equally important to see if any of the rest respond to not being picked.

He is quite a fat fellow. Might be a liability on the field because of that and an Aussie side shouldn't have such a player. He is a good batsman and could probably be selected if he gets in shape.

midgetwars

Club Captain
There was an interesting article on Foxsports that said that the pitches were breaking Australia cricket. I think this has some merit to it, nowadays we see millions of new young fast bowlers who in reality may be just mediocre made good by the pitches.

The decline of the batsman and spin bowlers as well. I think we need a balance of batting/bowling pitches so we get the true picture of the state of batting and bowling in Australia.

We have way too many green pitches which makes batting extremely difficult which is why we see no batsman "kicking the door down" and lots of new bowlers coming up.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
That is a good point. A lot of bowlers have come through in the last few years but nowhere near as many batsmen have been putting up there hand for selection. I think it is good where we have wickets that are tough to score runs on but I don't think having flat pitches all around the country is the answer either. Anyway, isn't Adelaide known for being flat?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Adelaide has a reputation for being flat, but really it's only in the first innings. Once the pitch wears, there's a lot of turn, some low bounce and reverse swing. As long as the 1st innings actually end, the 2nd innings scores make it a balanced wicket.

Balance is the key point. There are few wickets that are simply "flat" or "seaming", or at least, few that make for a truly good match. An ideal Test wicket presents a variety of difficulties, allowing for a narrative that has twists and surprises.

Currently Adelaide is actually doing a bit of everything, there's plenty of turn but also the seamers are doing quite well. Statistically, the pitches around Sydney have been the really flat ones; even though they might start out with a bit of nip, overall the pitches tends to get very flat and gentle. Case in point being the Aus A game.

But then there have been some examples that suggest some of the wickets really aren't that bad. Queensland lost at Brisbane by 190 runs to Victoria and again at Adelaide by 9 wickets. Some of the batsmen are getting it right more than others.

I think when considering conditions, keep in mind that Ponting is averaging over 100 this season and about 60 last season for Tasmania. In the best case there's a defence for batsmen who are making runs but not at stupendous averages. It's not an explanation as to why it's hard to find the next legend.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
I think when considering conditions, keep in mind that Ponting is averaging over 100 this season and about 60 last season for Tasmania.

This. Pitches should allow both batsmen and bowlers to be rewarded for playing well. Given that Ponting is averaging 100+ with the bat and a few bowlers are averaging low-20s with the ball, you'd have to say Shield pitches are doing exactly that. Put it this way - does anyone seriously think that Smith, Kallis or de Villiers wouldn't average 50+ if they played in our domestic competition?

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Word going around is that Starc will be 12th man. Also heard that the weather in Brisbane isn't that good with a fair bit of rain. I thought that would of given them another reason to play Starc.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Cricket Quiz | ESPN Cricinfo

Fellas take this quizz to test your knowledge on australia vs s africa history, without doing research. I got 19/25 right during the time limit ha..

Last edited:

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Got 12/25. Seems similar to what I get in my uni assessments :rolleyes

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Looking forward to some real cricket after all these months of the traveling circus. Even more satisfying is that the #1 test ranking will finally be returning where it belongs.

Can't see any real threats in that South African team. Amla will be relied on for runs and Steyn for wickets. Predicting that Philander will be wholly ineffective on Australian soil. The rest look fairly average.

Cowan hasn't exactly been lighting it up, but I think he'll be more comfortable than what we saw of him in the Caribbean, and as long as he hangs around and gives the ball a bit of wear, I can't complain.

Warner's in desperate need of form, but now that he can afford to be a bit more patient, all the meat pies that Steyn, Philander and Morkel are likely to dish up should see him return to his devastating best.

And Quiney.. I expect him to surpass Shaun Marsh's 17 runs all last summer in his first innings.

----------

Oh and get in on the Fantasy Cricket game for this test. Only 10 registrations so far, just need a planetcricket account to join for vcash prizes.

Register here or through the main fantasy cricket page linked above.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Don't be so confident Sedition. We've be known to have batting wobbles in the past and South Africa have a good pace attack.

Just registered into my fantasy team as well.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Don't be so confident Sedition. We've be known to have batting wobbles in the past and South Africa have a good pace attack.

Just registered into my fantasy team as well.

I'm sure sedition if correct about Quiney doing better than marsh.

Users who are viewing this thread