South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

midgetwars

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Is Smith/Peterson becoming the Strauss/Cook?

We used to think Petersen and Cook being the weak link of the opening and Strauss and Smith the main batter.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Surprisingly Petersen is actually slightly older than Graeme Smith. However, if the rumours have any weight, he might well play a lot longer into his 30s.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
What is with McGrath? He struggles to finish his own sentences/talk.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
We need a couple of quick wickets. Amla and Kallis can get a way from us here if they keep this up. I'm getting worried.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Both teams rather justified so far. South Africa batted first and Australia would have done the same; when seemingly no commentator or pundit would have.

There was a tinge of green, but hardly fatal; I would already say the greenness has gone. It's coming on a bit slow as expected for day 1 at the Gabba and with the weather around, it probably won't dry out too quickly. Here's hoping it does though and livens up the final session. You might say that the gloom is in the bowler's favour, but it's not cool or calm; there's a bit of turbulence which doesn't aid conventional swing. It's also been pretty sunny at times anyway.

The question left is about the attacks. Starc didn't play, so you can always say that he might have made a difference. South Africa don't have a left armer to pick anyway, but they do have Morkel; it just depends whether he is having a day when he can bowl straight. One feels like a decent bit of variation is every reason to omit a right arm fast medium. Likewise, it stands to reason that you might want to turn a few out of the rough later on. That is, at least, if the weather permits a match of such length.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
This doesn't seem to be the green nightmare pitch that was built up during the week. Definitely seems like a good batting wicket. However, that could all change when Australia goes out to bat :rolleyes

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
At least we are containing them a bit more now. That could be the start of a few chances to come our way.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Lyon really needs to stop giving away so many runs. Amla and Kallis are playing him with ease, especially Amla.

spooony

Club Captain
Australian dossier, page 37: AB DeVilliers - Very dangerous. Keep Amla & Kallis in so we don't have to bowl to him.

----------

At least we are containing them a bit more now. That could be the start of a few chances to come our way.
Actually not containing. Like with England they will give some sessions to the bowlers as they are patient.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Good point there. We've got to back Lyon and I think playing him on a seaming track isn't a bad idea. Give him the confidence and he'll hopefully perform.

Well picking Lyon is one thing, giving him a bowl is another. I think Lyon's longest spell today was 3 overs :mad His first spell was very good, getting bounce and some spin - if they'd had a leg slip he would have had Amla, and then he almost had Peterson with a leg slip. Australia really needs to work out how to keep Lyon bowling for longer. Keeping him on when he's started well would be a good start...Not leaking runs is good and that was a problem today, but usually Lyon is pretty good (economy of 2.90 in Tests). Just seems to get a very short leash from Clarke - always has men deep expecting the worst, never bowls at the beginning of a session ie. always last option. It's particularly important with no Watson, the 4th and 5th bowlers can't lose control and must be able to get through 20-30 reasonable overs.

Spoony mentions that containing against SA isn't really containing - I agree for the fast bowlers. But if Rob Quiney can keep bowling maidens, I am VERY happy. I think Clarke could have used himself too, get through some quick overs and hopefully more economical than Lyon was.

Looks a good batting pitch, and with a bit more luck Australia could have had a couple more wickets eg. 2 umpires call LBWs not given, Siddle's caught and bowled, Siddle getting Kallis out of a no-ball - another day and it might have been different. But in reality there weren't a lot of chances created. Disappointing for Aus fans for sure. But we must remember it's a good team and a true pitch as well.

spooony

Club Captain
Well picking Lyon is one thing, giving him a bowl is another. I think Lyon's longest spell today was 3 overs :mad His first spell was very good, getting bounce and some spin - if they'd had a leg slip he would have had Amla, and then he almost had Peterson with a leg slip. Australia really needs to work out how to keep Lyon bowling for longer. Keeping him on when he's started well would be a good start...Not leaking runs is good and that was a problem today, but usually Lyon is pretty good (economy of 2.90 in Tests). Just seems to get a very short leash from Clarke - always has men deep expecting the worst, never bowls at the beginning of a session ie. always last option. It's particularly important with no Watson, the 4th and 5th bowlers can't lose control and must be able to get through 20-30 reasonable overs.

Spoony mentions that containing against SA isn't really containing - I agree for the fast bowlers. But if Rob Quiney can keep bowling maidens, I am VERY happy. I think Clarke could have used himself too, get through some quick overs and hopefully more economical than Lyon was.

Looks a good batting pitch, and with a bit more luck Australia could have had a couple more wickets eg. 2 umpires call LBWs not given, Siddle's caught and bowled, Siddle getting Kallis out of a no-ball - another day and it might have been different. But in reality there weren't a lot of chances created. Disappointing for Aus fans for sure. But we must remember it's a good team and a true pitch as well.

Only reason for that maidens was play was coming to an end as well as bad light came in. Also that was the reason they were bowling. They preserved their wicket as the end of day was close.

Its international cricket you drop Amla he will make you pay just ask England. :D

midgetwars

Club Captain
Three decisions of LBW going against Australia, one of them being overturned. Maybe the DRS should use these LBW's as reference when Australia's batting

Users who are viewing this thread