India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Apart from the XI which started against the Windies in the last test, I'd guess a comeback for Gambhir, as many would suggest, is very much possible, he's fresh from a good 150 (?) score against Haryana. Then Jadeja is perfectly in the picture to tour SAF.

As India is more likely to take 16 players, the other three might be Yadav, Rahane and Zaheer/Ishant. No real surprises!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I want Gambhir to go as the backup opener. Would give Vijay competition and force him to bat well. And hope they take Zaheer also on this tour. Ishant is a certainty with his recent 5-for. So it should be Zaheer, Ishant, Yadav, Bhuvaneshwar and Shami.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
I got a gut feeling that India will get thrashed, badly despite having good record at South African turf.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I got a gut feeling that India will get thrashed, badly despite having good record at South African turf.

Thats not a gut feeling. That is right now the most prevalent feeling among most people who know India and its cricket.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
So that squad has been announced for both One Day and Test matches. Gambhir is excluded Zaheer is back and only new man is Ambati Raydu. Saha is the backup keeper. Well Raydu could keep god knows why Saha is in there they could have easily fitted Kartick or Gambhir. Umesh Yadav is back too.

For ODI's same squad except Ishant and Umesh return for Vinay Kumar and Unadkat. Its like one crap for another policy in indian team

Test squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), M Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kolhi, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ravindra Jadeja, Zaheer Khan, Ambati Rayudu, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha

ODI squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Shikhar Dhawan, Suresh Raina,Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane ,Yuvraj Singh, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ambati Rayudu, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Mohit Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Amit Mishra

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
India, for once could field a strong pace attack in this tour. Bhuvaneshwar and Zaheer being the swing/seam bowlers with Shami and Yadav playing the role of the quickie. If they bowl to their potential, its a good prospect to see India fielding a bowling lineup of Ashwin, Shami, Yadav and Zak/Kumar.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I would seriously go with 5 bowlers if its a greenish pitch. Ashwin can really hang on around and bat. So

Vijay/Rahane
Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli
Sharma
Dhoni
Ashwin
Kumar
Zak
Umesh
Shami

Awesome lineup that is

For all our overseas tour we need to understand our bowling has to be strong and need to take 20 wickets. This lineup has variety and sure can take 20 wickets

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I can not imagine Dhoni going with 5 bowlers because according to him "balance of the side will be disturbed". However, he will than go for Jadeja on a greenish pitch just to bring that "balance" of the side. I really don't know how Jadeja will survive on these green surfaces because his batting is even worse than Ashwin. I don't think we will require his bowling too much because the conditions will be seamer friendly. I hope he proves me wrong but I just can't see that happening. I would rather have an extra batsman in Ajinkya Rahane which we will definitely need.

Murli Vijay
Shikhar Dhawan
Cheteshwar Pujara
Virat Kohli
Rohit Sharma
Ajinkya Rahane
MS Dhoni
R. Ashwin
B. Kumar
Zaheer khan
Shami Ahmed

However, I am pretty sure Dhoni will go for Jadeja in place of Rahane.

----------

However, I really feel we should have gone for Gambhir instead of Raydu.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
However, I really feel we should have gone for Gambhir instead of Raydu.

Yup. I fail to understand this, as Rayudu isn't even someone who will be pushing for the test spot, Rahane will be considered before him who himself may not in Dhoni's list.

Maybe the selectors would have thought to give Rohit a dual role if replacements in the opening spot are needed, which leads me to believe why Gambhir wasn't picked despite his more than decent run in FC and experience of playing in SAF.

Unless an injury happens, it doesn't look like India will make changes to their batting line-up, after all they just have 2 tests to play.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I too agree about Gambhir in place of Rayudu. Rayudu hardly has any international experience

On the other hand, I haven't seen Gambhir play in Ranji although he got decent scores. Does he continue to fend on the deliveries outside off stump, trying to run them to third man ? If he hasn't gotten rid of that, then he would have been a sitting duck against Steyn n co

--

Infact, Abhishek Nayar in place of Rayudu would be a better bet. A Medium pace bowling all rounder might come in handy, although I doubt he would have replaced Sir as its only 2 tests

Last edited:

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Why Raina in one days and not Pujara, I will never ever in my life will understand. :facepalm
Actually quite like the test squad there, yes would have liked Viru/Gambhir there. And also quite shocked no Badrinath, every one expected him nearly, so I am guessing Rahane will be our no.4 for the series.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^ I hope Pujara and Kholi make up no.3 and no.4
I think they are the most skilled batsmen in the team right now. And rohit at no.5

Rahane will have to play at #6. That will obviously only happen if Jadeja is benched (doubt it). Ideally we should play a fourth pacer instead. We need fasties who can bowl well with the old ball - ZAK !

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I really like the look of the test squad. The bowling composition is perfectly as I expected, except that I think an extra spinner might be a luxury. But it gives us options in case Ashwin has a bad game or if the pitch turns more than expected. The bowling attack looks well rounded and comprehensive, and I expect this bowling attack to do well for India this tour.

I didn't expect Rayudu for Gambhir, but I was voting for Gambhir because I didnt think the selectors would jump into Rayudu so quickly for the tests. In fact, Rayudu is a better bat than Gambhir for tests and deserves his place.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Isn't Rayudu a keeper also?. Why pick him & Saha?

Users who are viewing this thread