India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

dynamosports

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are you crazy? Vijay has cemented his place in the test side with those twin centuries against Australia. Even if we need a backup opener, it will be Gambhir, not Jaffer. And Kaif - well I don't see him coming back too. Our middle order is crowded. We still have Tendulkar who will definitely tour, and then we have Pujara, Kohli and Dhoni confirmed. And for the rest, we have the likes of Rohit, Raina, Tiwary, Rayudu, Karthik, Rahane, Yuvraj, etc. Kaif is nowhere near the radar for a batting spot in the test team. I don't see either Kaif or Jaffer making an international comeback again. Never!

----------

Our squad will most probably be like this:

M Vijay, S Dhawan, D Karthik, C Pujara, V Kohli, S Tendulkar, M Dhoni, R Sharma, R Jadeja, R Ashwin, U Yadav, B Kumar, I Sharma, S Ahmed, J Unadkat

I definitely see Rohit Sharma in there after his good performances in recent times with the ODI side. Also the non-inclusion of Gambhir and the inclusion of Karthik in the India-A tour gives me the feeling that the selectors might not be looking at Gambhir as backup opener, but at Karthik both as backup opener and backup keeper. Karthik has opened for India before in tests in England, and can do it again.
Sachin Tendulkar? In the indian squad for tour to S.A? You on roofies or what?:eek::eek:

----------

Pujara might fail an innings or two, but I do expect him to score in this tour. He is that kind of a batsman who plays well in challenging conditions.

Fan boy here. :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sachin Tendulkar? In the indian squad for tour to S.A? You on roofies or what?:eek::eek:

----------

Fan boy here. :D

Quoting a post of mine made on 10th July when Tendulkar hadn't even announced anything remotely close to a retirement; I am not the one on roofies!!:p:yes

Not misplaced fanboyism on Pujara! I know lot of people have the same expectation on Pujara.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^ I have high expectations from Pujara and Kholi. If they can conjure up some solid knocks, then it will be excellent for Indian cricket

The South African bowling is going to be a massive challenge. First off there are the conditions which will be diametrically opposite to subcontinent. Then there is the ace bowling attack led by the fiercest pace bowler of current times. Then there is the fact that it wont just be about seeing off the first hour or first session, because these guys will be at you throughout the day.

Hope our guys deliver on the expectations ..

--

And I really hope they keep ZAK in the reckoning. He took a fifer against Delhi.

Last edited:

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I know i might be based up and called a joker here but i feel with Sachin gone and this man already in 30s should get a few matches at least now. Yes, i am talking about S.Badrinath

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
I know i might be based up and called a joker here but i feel with Sachin gone and this man already in 30s should get a few matches at least now. Yes, i am talking about S.Badrinath

Yup Mr.Cricket of tamil nadu tailor made for test matches.

playkid12

Club Captain
If we can infer something from the decision to strip Zaheer Khan of his BCCI contract, then it is the fact that Zaheer might not be making it to the Indian team for this SA tour. Which troubles me a bit because we need his experience for this tour. Shami is doing well and along with Bhuvi and Yadav can bear the attack. But a masterly guy like Zaheer who is very fit right now can do wonders for us. Hope he does make it for this tour. He is doing well right now in domestic cricket.

The contract was dropped because Zaheer hasn't played for India in a year, simple as that. It doesn't mean he won't have a comeback. However, the BCCI is well aware that his career is almost over due to his age, so when he does come back, it wont be for very long. It'll basically just be for a farewell.

I think the SA tour will be Zaheer's last.

Yup Mr.Cricket of tamil nadu tailor made for test matches.

He's a great player, but it's over for him. He's too old, and India have a lot of players with batting talent. India already have a proper test player in Pujara. Rohit Sharma seems to be filling in nicely with two centuries back to back - can't ask for a better start to a test career. As far as the vacancy of Tendulkar, there are many people that the BCCI will consider before Badrinath. Sadly, he's a batting talent that will go down in history as being overlooked.

The South African bowling is going to be a massive challenge. First off there are the conditions which will be diametrically opposite to subcontinent. Then there is the ace bowling attack led by the fiercest pace bowler of current times. Then there is the fact that it wont just be about seeing off the first hour or first session, because these guys will be at you throughout the day.

India will get destroyed by South Africa. I hope they don't, but India have a horrible record there, and this team is only good on the subcontinent. I can't see Shikhar Dhawan putting up any kind of a fight against SA. Kohli and Pujara are the only ones that really can in tests.

Oh God, Raina is going to get destroyed by the short ball in ODIs.

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The contract was dropped because Zaheer hasn't played for India in a year, simple as that. It doesn't mean he won't have a comeback. However, the BCCI is well aware that his career is almost over due to his age, so when he does come back, it wont be for very long. It'll basically just be for a farewell.

I think the SA tour will be Zaheer's last.

He's a great player, but it's over for him. He's too old, and India have a lot of players with batting talent. India already have a proper test player in Pujara. Rohit Sharma seems to be filling in nicely with two centuries back to back - can't ask for a better start to a test career. As far as the vacancy of Tendulkar, there are many people that the BCCI will consider before Badrinath. Sadly, he's a batting talent that will go down in history as being overlooked.

India will get destroyed by South Africa. I hope they don't, but India have a horrible record there, and this team is only good on the subcontinent. I can't see Shikhar Dhawan putting up any kind of a fight against SA. Kohli and Pujara are the only ones that really can in tests.

Oh God, Raina is going to get destroyed by the short ball in ODIs.

The last 6 tests that India have played in SA, its been 3-2 in SA`s favor and India were dominant in the Cape Town tests of 2007 and 2010/11. In 2007, we let slip a good 1st innings advantage and were unlucky with a few decisions while SA were chasing. In 2010 again, I believe we lost our best chance to win a test series in SA for ages by letting SA off the hook. I remember that at one stage SA were effectively 100-odd for 6 setting a target.

Plus, SA have managed to lose a test at home to most sides in recent times. India (one test each in the last 2 series), SL (won at Durban last time), Australia (drew the series in SA), WI (won a test the last time around if I`m not wrong) and England too. SA at home have been a little vulnerable, for some reason. Can`t understand why, with their gun attack and solid batting.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Its not about averages. Its about his quality of batsman ship style. He is one guy who gives a very Dravid'esque confidence that he will do well in challenging conditions.

If India play 6 batsmen this tour, who should be the the guy to replace Tendulkar from the recent WI tests? Is Manoj Tiwary still around playing, or is he injured? Considering that Sehwag has been stripped of his BCCI contract, it tells me he is effectively out of consideration. I don't want the Yuvraj's and the Raina's in test cricket again. Right now, the front runner is Rahane but I wouldn't be averse to thinking out of the box for Dinesh Karthik. He had an excellent series vs England in 2007 as an opener. And he can be good backup for MSD for keeping.

Pujara is not at all like Dravid(and that is a good thing) . He is more like VVS and MSD has given him the right spot , number 3 .

India should take Zak on SA tour . If MSD has any sense he will insist on Zak, who looks new and improved , fitter as well .

AMB

Banned
Pujara is not at all like Dravid(and that is a good thing) . He is more like VVS and MSD has given him the right spot , number 3 .

India should take Zak on SA tour . If MSD has any sense he will insist on Zak, who looks new and improved , fitter as well .

I agree Zaheer is a very good bowler and Ojha or Jadeja any one shold be kept.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser

Yeah! That guy is in top of his form. He scored a double ton against M.P. just before 2 weeks. It will be the smart move.

Anyway, I don't want to see the struggle open on South African pitches. Vijay will not be dropped and he will possibly fail. Never seen him facing the swinging bowl with the full of bat face and he have to face the bombards like Steyn, Morkel and Philander, etc. I still believe Pujara as a smart opener. Virat can change the things after he get a chance at no. 3 in test cricket. I must say, he is made for no.3 in any format and for any team. Rohit showing a great potential in Cricket. Hopefully he should be played at 4th or 5th. Rahane is still waiting to finalize his position in Indian team. Rohit or Rahane can be the replacement of Sachin. Yuvi and Badri should be selected as options. And the one more risky and smart choice will be of fine young man Baba Aparajith. But before he selected for overseas test tours, he should have given a opportunity in home matches. He should have been selected for ODI matches against SA before selecting for test. :) Even it will risky, it will be the smart pick. :) He has scored 4 consecutive centuries in his last 5 innings in first class matches. Two of em are double tons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread