India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
no it won't be.

south africa skittled your lot for 45 and 121 earlier this year, and pakistan for 49 and 99 in dubai. they are simply an awesome bowling line up.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
It'll certainly be a test by fire.

On the flipside, the Indian batsmen should look at this tour as a chance for a starmaking performance. If any of Pujara, Rohit, Dhawan, or Kohli can consistently score against this seriously good SA attack, they can announce their arrival as the next star test batsman.

What is the likelihood that SA play three seamers and Tahir? I haven't seen too much of Tahir recently but from what I have seen, it seemed as though he had a lot to learn. If the Indian batsmen survive the Steyn/Morkel/Philander onslaught, they can settle in for some runs against the spin.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If we can infer something from the decision to strip Zaheer Khan of his BCCI contract, then it is the fact that Zaheer might not be making it to the Indian team for this SA tour. Which troubles me a bit because we need his experience for this tour. Shami is doing well and along with Bhuvi and Yadav can bear the attack. But a masterly guy like Zaheer who is very fit right now can do wonders for us. Hope he does make it for this tour. He is doing well right now in domestic cricket.

India's batting order is settled for South Africa with Rohit Sharma's spectacular burst into test cricket with two back to back centuries. Still worried about M Vijay. Hope Gambhir is taken as backup. Vijay/Gambhir, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Dhoni and Ashwin make a very reliable batting attack. Considering Ashwin has batted very well, we don't need Jadeja. Ashwin did well even in Australia. We can rather continue with Ojha or even try Mishra.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
^ That's a very aggressive bit of team selection, backing Ashwin to play at 7 and essentially giving yourself five bowling options, but it is one that Dhoni has constantly avoided. I think he and the think tank have come to the conclusion that playing five bowlers doesn't necessarily improve our chances of winning.

While I really like the way Sai's team shapes up, I'd still pick Jadeja over Ojha in unfriendly conditions. That's not to knock on Ojha's ability (I'm a big fan), but simply because Jadeja is a three-tool player as opposed to Ojha, who's purely a bowler. In unfriendly conditions, Ojha/Jadeja's job will likely be to hold up one end (Dhoni tends to use Ashwin as the more attacking spin option), and in that scenario I'd like more output from the player playing that role, which you get with Jadeja.

The selection of the extra bowler comes down to whether the management wants to pick teams to win or not to lose. In the past, our management has generally picked teams not to lose, meaning we'll get the extra batsman.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I know this is huge optimism, but I think I would want Sachin Tendulkar on this trip touring along with the Indian players. Two things - first he can be a great asset to the batsmen, helping them out in their preparations. Second, after all the emotional outpouring over his retirement, the team is going to feel a huge vaccum when they start this tour without the presence of Sachin in the lineup.

If Sachin can accompany the team as their batting consultant, would do the team a world of good. I am actually dreaming of the day when the BCCI appoints Sachin as India's batting coach (and that Sachin is willing to do so).

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
jadeja could be interesting if he can manage to break a few partnerships, he also means india can stay in their comfort zone of having two spinners and still play a third seamer.

in all honesty though, I think they'd be better with the extra batsman. south africa will cause lots of problems and surely india would be better having an established batsman coming in at 6 rather than an all-rounder.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
As much as I love Ashwin he does bowl a lot of hit-me balls (at least one an over) and looks a bit toothless when conditions aren't helping. This can be problematic when he is the lone spinner in an XI.

Hopefully he has improved as a bowler since we saw him last time overseas in Australia.

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
IMO , Pujara is going to be the man to look out for. He is the ideal number three . Scores big, scores at a relatively fast clip , rotates strike . He is the main batsman for India not only for SA tour but also for a long time to come. Averaging 65 in 15 tests with 3 hundreds and 2 double hundreds . Not bad :yes .

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Pujara might fail an innings or two, but I do expect him to score in this tour. He is that kind of a batsman who plays well in challenging conditions.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Agreed saisrini his average is 65.50 in the whole career.

Its not about averages. Its about his quality of batsman ship style. He is one guy who gives a very Dravid'esque confidence that he will do well in challenging conditions.

If India play 6 batsmen this tour, who should be the the guy to replace Tendulkar from the recent WI tests? Is Manoj Tiwary still around playing, or is he injured? Considering that Sehwag has been stripped of his BCCI contract, it tells me he is effectively out of consideration. I don't want the Yuvraj's and the Raina's in test cricket again. Right now, the front runner is Rahane but I wouldn't be averse to thinking out of the box for Dinesh Karthik. He had an excellent series vs England in 2007 as an opener. And he can be good backup for MSD for keeping.

Last edited:

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Oh c'mon it has to be Rahane. What more will he need to do to get a match?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Oh c'mon it has to be Rahane. What more will he need to do to get a match?

Somehow, I am not incredibly excited about Rahane. Initially he did excite, but after watching his batting live for quite a few times, I am not that excited.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Somehow, I am not incredibly excited about Rahane. Initially he did excite, but after watching his batting live for quite a few times, I am not that excited.

Really? I know some people who said the same thing before watching him but AFTER they watched him, they were even more excited than me.

Users who are viewing this thread