Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

imhassan

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
In cricket game genre, Cricket 97 ATE and BLC-99 are the previous best I've played and they are the best in their respective era.

DBC14 will be at top of my list along with those two.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me. Cricket 97 ATE is still a classic and I wish it was released for iPad or something! And BLC 99 was an amazing game at a time when sports games being very good wasn't so common.

Slugger

Club Cricketer
Another video of some crazy (in a good way) fielding,

In a way, those animations are so good, it annoys me. Some areas need urgent attention, yet some minor detail like saving a 4 is so incredibly fantastic. I would much prefer the basics be amazing, and these other minor aspects be "ok" than vice versa. This game is BRILLIANT at some things and (fear of being shot by biggs) AVERAGE at others. Great video, but like i said, if other aspects were that amazing i would quit work tomorrow!:yes

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush Threep

Club Captain
I agree about edges playing as a fast bowler. It could be because I'm playing on veteran, but there have been absolutely minimal edges. Plenty go past the bat, but not many nick it.

I also think the AI batsman don't respect good deliveries just outside off on a good length enough. They either try to smack them through covers or over mid-on. Bowling fast also has no real effect on the batsman - bowling 158 km/h in-swinging yorkers to tail enders and they are slogging them over the in-field! Fast balls just don't seem to hurry the AI.

invisibleman18

Club Captain
Just managed my first win, still on amateur. T20 as England against NZ. Batted first and worked really hard to an opening partnership of 51 from 7 overs. Then an almighty collapse as I limped to 128 all out (last wicket off the last ball though so lasted the 20 overs). Was 44-0 when I had to go out so saved and returned later. Was really annoyed to lose both my openers as soon as I restarted.

Thought it was going be nowhere near enough runs but then blitzed through NZ to bowl them out for 28 in 8 overs. Anderson taking 7-21 and Finn 3-7! Set an offside field and bowled everything outside off stump and they kept hitting it to my fielders. Most satisfying wicket was trying a straight slower ball and bowling the batsman. Got the hang of pace bowling now but still need to work on spin.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So if I gave you these for viewing the field would that work?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Field Position 01.jpg
    Field Position 01.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 672
  • Field Position 03.jpg
    Field Position 03.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 708
  • Field Position 04.jpg
    Field Position 04.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 604

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
That looks great, a nice compromise without making it look too arcadey.

Last edited:

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
maybe the next versions of the game will have fielders stop the ball with their foot like in real life.

Solomon

County Cricketer
Not sure if you can change it now, but the square leg umpire doesn't raise his hand to hold the bowler / field. Maybe in the next patch?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
OMG!

So I turned off the commentary, was getting a bit tiresome, bumped up all the sonics and... SOUND GUY, TAKE A F'N BOW. So the "ground announcement" sound, that's not pre-packaged shit. He actually NARRATES whats going on in the match at the end of each over. "The end of the over, 134 for 3" etc etc.

BRAVO @BigAntStudios. BRA F'N VO.

yes, i've picked that up (mentioned it somewhere) - watching the youtube videos with the headphones on, absolutely unreal, at wickets/end of overs. that is attention to detail on a wonderful scale... absolutely brilliant.

imhassan

Club Captain
So if I gave you these for viewing the field would that work?

Looks very nice.

Can you perhaps add any indication in this same UI as to how many fielders are there on either on or off side? Perhaps show figures such as 5 off - 4 leg or 6 off - 3 leg or something to show that user isn't missing out on any when viewing?

This would also help when there is a fielder directly behind another field in line of sight.

Last edited:

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Looks very nice.

Can you perhaps add any indication in this same UI as to how many fielders are there on either on or off side? Perhaps show figures such as 5 off - 4 leg or 6 off - 3 leg or something to show that user isn't missing out on any when viewing?

This would also help when there is a fielder directly behind another field in line of sight.

In order to get things through quickly for the first patch - now pulled - we want to make it simple.

There will also be a slide-out indicating "Field Change" whenever the field has changed to stop you unnecessarily looking around.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
yes, i've picked that up (mentioned it somewhere) - watching the youtube videos with the headphones on, absolutely unreal, at wickets/end of overs. that is attention to detail on a wonderful scale... absolutely brilliant.

Yeah, the sound work is so brilliantly done.

Yesterday I had chance to admire another sound work which Ross mentioned ages ago before release - birds sound in the ground! I was like OMG, am I hearing from my TV! It was a day match & sounds of birds coming from background just gave you the lively feeling of us being in action in that ground while playing. EXCELLENT!

Ross, who is that sound guy behind all these? Kudos to him.

Users who are viewing this thread