Looking Ahead - Indian Test Cricket 2015-2019

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Been waiting for a while to make this thread and finally the time has come with Dhoni's retirement from the Test format and Kohli taking the reigns.

Schedule year by year (according to the FTP, which can be seen here):

1 Test away in Bangladesh - June
3 Tests vs Sri Lanka in India - August
4 Tests vs South Africa in India - October/November
2 Tests vs Pakistan in UAE - December/January '16

1 Test away in Zimbabwe - June
4 Tests away in West Indies - July/August
1 Test vs Bangladesh in India - August/September
3 Tests vs New Zealand in India - October/November
5 Tests vs England in India - November/December

4 Tests vs Australia in India - February/March
3 Tests away in Sri Lanka - July/August
3 Tests vs Pakistan in India - November/December

2018-19
4 Tests away in South Africa - January/February
3 Tests vs Sri Lanka in India - March/April
5 Tests away in England - July/August
3 Tests vs West Indies in India - October/November
4 Tests away in Australia - December/January of '19

The idea of the thread is much more than just a schedule, but a lot of the discussion I imagine in my head would be premature until we got to 2015 at the very least, so for now have a look at the schedule, what pops out to you guys and don't forget, the FTP is always subject to change.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Interesting. 19 Tests in 2018 sounds absolutely insane though

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Considering the amount of limited overs cricket in that year (20 ODIs and 5 T20Is), along with the IPL (and CL) as well, top Indian players like Kohli who play all 3 formats of international cricket along with franchise cricket will be drove into the ground.

Last edited:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
fearsome tweak. Its a year long plan in 2018. Every month they will be busy in one thing or other and the gaps inbetween are for IPL and Champions League.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
ahh damn, mitchell johnson might have retired by 2017!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
4 Tests away in West Indies - July/August

Insane. 4 Away Tests against the WI !!! :eek:

Given the recent history, there is a possibility that this may not take place.

2018-19
4 Tests away in South Africa - January/February
3 Tests vs Sri Lanka in India - March/April
5 Tests away in England - July/August
3 Tests vs West Indies in India - October/November
4 Tests away in Australia - December/January of '19

Yet another jam-packed season and can be potentially devastating if India continues its overseas record. Subject to change,definitely -knowing the BCCI.
What would make the FTP more interesting is a team like NZ winning the 2015 World Cup. All of a suddent you'll have the BCCI hastily arranging for additional series with them.

manav599

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is just the sort of schedule that has been going on for a while. Last year and a half, India toured South Africa, New Zealand, England and Australia. All beaten, now they go home like an injured lion and will get their wrath out whenever anyone comes home with rank turners and all. In 2 years, they will be back in top 3-4 Test teams, an aggressive side it would seem. A couple of new guys would have stormed into international scene. A lot of fall sense of being a great team. Then they head on for overseas tours for another year (2018-19 as per above schedule) with 2-3 guys in the team by that time fairly young and inexperienced overseas. And again the coach or team director will ask for 10-12 months, come back home, repeat the loop.
Of course many things will change including this itinerary but I am just expressing my views at the moment. No insults intended to anyone.

On a serious note, I am really excited about South Africa's tour of India later this year. RSA is 1 side of the current day that I expect to play well away from home (by that I mean in conditions different from home and not England & Australia). They did well last time in India which was way back. So it might also be Steyn's last tour of India.
Then I am excited about Tests with Pakistan back but still Pakistan is far below what it used to be last time these 2 teams met.
Australia tour of India would again be exciting if they would have had answers to Asian conditions by then.
Zimbabwe and Bangladesh Test matches are a good sign, BCCI isn't forgetting the not so good Test nations even though it is 1 off Test matches.
Sri Lanka after Sanga and Mahela and England after this mess are the only 2 teams from above that might lead to a boring Test series.
But all in all it is a nice schedule for Indian Test cricket with so many tests every year. The BCCI doesn't neglect it after all.
So :cheers to a good 4 years of Test Cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread