England Team Discussion

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
David Willey hasn't been picked for Yorkshire's opening CC match of the season. Was it a good move in terms of his career given this is without Bresnan even being fit?

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
David Willey hasn't been picked for Yorkshire's opening CC match of the season. Was it a good move in terms of his career given this is without Bresnan even being fit?

Looks like a very poor move, but then staying in Div 2 would've been an equally bad move.

To be honest, I think he's miles away from the test side anyway, but not playing won't help that.

dp458

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Think team for Headingley will be:

1. Cook
2. Compton
3. Hales
4. Root
5. Ballance
6. Stokes
7. Bairstow
8. Ali
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

Would rather have Bell and Vince in for Hales and Ballance, but will still be far too strong for Sri Lanka.
Agreed, although Ballance batted at 3 for Yorkshire today

dp458

Club Captain
Awful move, he was never going to be anywhere near their CC team, he is probably the last seamer they will pick. Will be key for them in white ball, He could have gone anywhere in terms of white ball cricket, but done of the top CC sides would have him intheir team, I wouldnt at full strength for warwickshire, he would play today in situations when Woakes and Rankin are injured, but then it doesnt really change the pace of the attack. Surrey Somerset or Hampshire may have been better places to go to develop his red ball game, and tbh i think whoever advised him has got it horribly wrong. Once Sidebottom goes they are banking on him being the left armer but there isnt a gaurantee they will play him over say brooks/pattterson/fisher(they like developing there own). Along the same line Bresnan and RHodes are probably ahead in the seam allrounder slot also

bigred

Club Captain
Agreed, although Ballance batted at 3 for Yorkshire today

I noticed that. They're all at it. Vince has moved up also. That's where they see the vacancy at the mall moment I suppose.

dp458

Club Captain
I noticed that. They're all at it. Vince has moved up also. That's where they see the vacancy at the mall moment I suppose.
Vince is a poor mans Bell, in the fact that he makes pretty 30s but then gives it away. I just feel theyve told Hales he will get another go, otherwise his decision to rest, no matter how sensible in terms of fatigue, seems an odd one professionally

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
So, the guys that look to be a must for England are:

Cook
Root
Ali
Stokes
Jimmy
Broad

That's a good unit to build a team around. I reckon Hales and Root would ft in very well, with maybe Finn making a test comeback. Once again, he has been treated like trash by the ECB, what's his confidence going to be like now? The middle order might turn to Bairstow and/or Ballance again. Who else?[DOUBLEPOST=1460972728][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ben Duckett anyone?

Could be a good choice. Maybe have him in the squad for SL? Give him a match and give buttler a match. Whoever does better starts against Pakistan.

dp458

Club Captain

Cook
Root
Ali
Stokes
Jimmy
Broad

That's a good unit to build a team around. I reckon Hales and Root would ft in very well, with maybe Finn making a test comeback. Once again, he has been treated like trash by the ECB, what's his confidence going to be like now? The middle order might turn to Bairstow and/or Ballance again. Who else?[DOUBLEPOST=1460972728][/DOUBLEPOST]

Could be a good choice. Maybe have him in the squad for SL? Give him a match and give buttler a match. Whoever does better starts against Pakistan.

Good unit, dont know what the ECBs issue with Finn is, can be an excellent bowler on his day.
Ben Duckett is one to watch out for but he currently has 1 score in div 2, he is miles away from the team in all formats. If Davies could get the gloves for Surrey he would be an option, I still dont have an issue with Read playing and Ali can bat 7, but currently BAirstow gets in as a batsman so he will keep

bigred

Club Captain

Cook
Root
Ali
Stokes
Jimmy
Broad

What do you mean about Finn? I would say that Finn is one of the musts. Wouldn't say that Ali is a must. As soon as England discover a proper spinner, or if Rashid outperforms him, he's gone.

Also, test matches aren't dress rehearsals. We shouldn't be giving Duckett and Buttler one match each. Bairstow is the wicket keeper. He does the job for the series. Duckett has stopped keeping at Northants anyway.

dp458

Club Captain
In regards to Ali, ive come to the conclusion that he bowls too many loose balls for white ball, but in tests these can go unpunished and he bowls enough great balls to get top class batsmen out, look at whi he has got out. Then you add in his batting, i much prefer him to Rashid. And the thing is there isnt really a spinner coming through in the county game (div 1, as i dont take div 2 seriously, look at kerrigans record in div 2), the only div 1 side with spinners anyone fears are Yorks(Rashid) and he bowls a lot less as they have a 5 man attack and he abts 7, and Warwicks(patel- who is quality and exactly the type of spinner england could do with, shame his international career was ruined by being vettoris back up, he can also bat).

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
50 up for Vince, a big score against this strong Yorkshire attack wouldn't go unnoticed I expect.

bigred

Club Captain
In regards to Ali, ive come to the conclusion that he bowls too many loose balls for white ball, but in tests these can go unpunished and he bowls enough great balls to get top class batsmen out, look at whi he has got out. Then you add in his batting, i much prefer him to Rashid. And the thing is there isnt really a spinner coming through in the county game (div 1, as i dont take div 2 seriously, look at kerrigans record in div 2), the only div 1 side with spinners anyone fears are Yorks(Rashid) and he bowls a lot less as they have a 5 man attack and he abts 7, and Warwicks(patel- who is quality and exactly the type of spinner england could do with, shame his international career was ruined by being vettoris back up, he can also bat).

Think they're banking on Mason Crane.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think Willey chased the money, which is a shame really. He's gone to probably the one side in the Country which has a settled 4 day side and I think they already rotated pace bowlers last year anyway, so he's never going to get a good run in the side, no matter what.

On Duckett, he's been brilliant for Northants since being promoted to open the batting. A better record than Browne for Essex and he's aggressive too, which would be no bad thing, if we still have Compton at 3 with Cook opening. I like what he's doing personally.

On spinners, the issue is that the pitches just don't suit them for about half the Championship season, as it's played from now until the end of May. The best example of that is a personal one for me, at Somerset. We had an overseas spinner for a couple of years and got rid of him, because Jack Leach performed well. He played games at the end of last season and did well. But, he's unlikely to play much at the start of this season because there are no pitches for them, so sides pick a guy who can bat a bit better and throw down a few overs. I think that's why there are very few stand out records in this Country, because they spend so long bowling on decks just not suited for them, or they spend their time in the Second XI.

Users who are viewing this thread