This is it - Ashes Cricket (Beta Feedback)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
How is bowling length decided? Is there any mechanic to produce error/variation? Do different bowlers have distinct styles and feel different to use (other than simply animations)? Can you still swing the ball round corners at will?

Bowling length is on timing as in dbc14. this is the best bowling iteration - both in terms of mechanics and the fact that all dismissals are available without recourse to franco's hack. yes the bowler's have distinct style and though perhaps there isn't a massive difference you will feel some swing better and some are better for hitting the deck. no you can't swing round corners on demand and if you use the seam placement control that adds another level to swing too (though there's more that could be done on that).

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hey @Llewelynf and @WealeyH
The imitations that Maxwell did in the Mo-cap video with Cricket Australia, like the Matthew Hayden charge down the pitch... are they in the game at all? Please answer :(

truthful answer from my perspective is i'm not sure. i assume so - it would have been odd to build a major part of the PR around something not in the game, no? but i can't pick out a single animation like that... and you can't assign individual shots per player, you assign a style. so perhaps those shots are used across some of the styles, but which ones in which style i couldn't honestly tell you.

i would say, i don't think he was mo-capped (haven't seen it confirmed anywhere anyway) but the Alastair Cook pull in the game looks spot on.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This is big for me but a lot of people probably don't care about it. What is the deal with the amount of contract offers? In DBC 14 you got 3 contract offers from the league that who were considered for. In DBC 17 you got an offer from every team in the league. I found the DBC 17 way un-realistic. And the DBC 14 way better. In the new game how many contract offers will you receive from teams. Will teams offer you contracts based on their needs? or will every club give you a contract because they think you are good enough? Will there be a situation where you get just 1 offer?

no idea. hardly touched career, sorry.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
My experience with the beta is not to the same extent as others answering your questions, but to summarise it in one sentence - a refined approach that draws on the best of 14 and 17, that attempts to strike a better balance between casual and hardcore experiences.

This is not simply DBC17 with a shiny coat of Ashes paint on it. It’s a significant progression.

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is there a choice of batsman to take off helmet and Wear a hat or cap when a spinner comes to bowl

D

Deleted member 9102

Bowling length is on timing as in dbc14. this is the best bowling iteration - both in terms of mechanics and the fact that all dismissals are available without recourse to franco's hack. yes the bowler's have distinct style and though perhaps there isn't a massive difference you will feel some swing better and some are better for hitting the deck. no you can't swing round corners on demand and if you use the seam placement control that adds another level to swing too (though there's more that could be done on that).
That sounds like an improvement, good to hear timing based length is back. I did see though in a video that there are still 4 face buttons to choose length (short, good, full, yorker) as in DBC17 whereas 14 only had the 3 (short, good, full). Does this then mean that it's more forgiving than DBC14 for timing, as these zones are smaller? I'm hoping you can't just bang yorkers down endlessly so easily like in 17.

Do bowler stats for accuracy make much difference? It feels like everyone controls line and length the same in 17 but higher attributes just make deviation/swing/pace increase, and magically make the batsman play an identical ball worse.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Unfortunately, u both r wrong! Tv style broadcast does not follow the bowler's entire run.

I don’t think Blocker and I are going to form an opinion based on literally one broadcast angle. There is merit to seeing the whole run up (you can identify the angle and can actually see when they start - as opposed to relying on some other form of visual cue)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That sounds like an improvement, good to hear timing based length is back. I did see though in a video that there are still 4 face buttons to choose length (short, good, full, yorker) as in DBC17 whereas 14 only had the 3 (short, good, full). Does this then mean that it's more forgiving than DBC14 for timing, as these zones are smaller? I'm hoping you can't just bang yorkers down endlessly so easily like in 17.

Do bowler stats for accuracy make much difference? It feels like everyone controls line and length the same in 17 but higher attributes just make deviation/swing/pace increase, and magically make the batsman play an identical ball worse.

not sure if it's more forgiving... i guess so as a consequence of the smaller zones.

the only time i ever exaggerate the timing difference is be late to get a short ball really short, and that generally goes a decent difference. at our request they made hitting perfect release harder (i think mikey or matt said it's like a 2 frame window on hardest) and that naturally leads to varied release and therefore varied length. it's way better than 17: no mcgrath like landing it on a spot.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
not sure if it's more forgiving... i guess so as a consequence of the smaller zones.

the only time i ever exaggerate the timing difference is be late to get a short ball really short, and that generally goes a decent difference. at our request they made hitting perfect release harder (i think mikey or matt said it's like a 2 frame window on hardest) and that naturally leads to varied release and therefore varied length. it's way better than 17: no mcgrath like landing it on a spot.
I must add though, players with higher skills for accuracy hit the same spot more often. I actually tested that at some point

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
that's highlights so it doesn't count as they have obviously cut it like that. but it does show with absolute clarity that the camera is not static, so thanks for proving yourself wrong.
You are right, my father is a camera man for the bowlers and yes the entire run up is recorded until the follow through

kamy100

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Took me the best part of an hour to work through this thread. Thanks to the beta testers for sharing all of this information and for answering the questions. The videos look extremely promising. Look forward to playing the game!

flake

County Cricketer
I must add though, players with higher skills for accuracy hit the same spot more often. I actually tested that at some point
If I remember correctly, you don’t make players. I know Snowy does but is there anyone else on Beta team that’s been busy with that?

Users who are viewing this thread