Blockers bits... (retro)

Rowdoss

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok I just uploaded the 84/85 side
Australia 84/85
I’ll make some adjustments to it in near future. I added the main inclusions to the 85 Ashes squad. I left a few out as they were only squad members and to be honest no one using these teams is going to add those guys to the 11.
Thanks for use of your players!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Australia 84/85
I’ll make some adjustments to it in near future. I added the main inclusions to the 85 Ashes squad. I left a few out as they were only squad members and to be honest no one using these teams is going to add those guys to the 11.

I’m working on the England 84/85 squad to cover the 84 series against West Indies and 85 ashes.

As a bonus, completing those squads will very nearly complete the 2 England rebel tour teams, just a few extra players to do after that.

Should share all those today or tomorrow

gleeso73

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
The “Golden Boy” biography of Kim Hughes is a great book.

Yes it is, it’s a shame the amount of bullying Kim Hughes faced from Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee during that time that many didn’t know about. The revelations over the years has diminished the respect I once had for both of them.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Australia 84/85

Mate what’s your username on academy?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I have uploaded an England 84/85 that covers the home series against West Indies in 1984 (5-0 “blackwash”) and the 1985 home Ashes vs Australia (3-1 win!)

This has all players that appeared in both series. Most of the better known players would be originally made by @gleeso73 (thanks!) and the rest were made by me. I will be honest and say i didn’t linger over likenesses, just got them vaguely there, but everything else should be right.

Features logos by @Llewelynf

There’s actually more of the rebel tour players left to do than I realised, so those will be a little while off.

You can pit this squad against the Windies 1985 by @Mouseydread and the Aussie 84/85 by @Rowdoss

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i've also uploaded 2 bats, the slazenger v caribbean & v12

——— edit

These are from logos I actually made in ashes that got carried over.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've just shared the England Rebel XI from 1989-90.

This is the Gatting Tour, the final Rebel Tour which coincided with both a relaxtion in the protest laws (meaning that the internal opposition to such tours which had been repressed in earlier years was much freer and more obvious for this tour) and then Mandela's release.

This tour was truncated, with only a single "test" and 4 "ODI", from an original schedule (i think) of 3 and 7. The 2nd tour scheduled for the following year was cancelled, and South Africa's readmission to international cricket followed after.

Thanks to @gleeso73 for several of the players, and @Llewelynf for the team logo.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Reprising (and slightly changing) an idea I had for DBC14, I've just uploaded an "England Worst XI" of the 1990s.

In a shocking decade, we managed to truly plumb the depths... among 20 players we have a single test 50, that from "leg spinner" Ian Salisbury. A test-50 should be disqualification for consideration, but a bowling average of 76.95 kept him in.

Full Squad and their "records":

Batters: Hugh Morris - 3 matches, 115 runs at 19.17; John Morris - 3 matches, 71 runs at 23.67, his international career served only to provide an answer to the quiz question "who was with David Gower in the Tiger Moth?"; Steve James - 2 matches, 71 runs at 17.75; Matthew Maynard - 4 matches, 87 runs at 10.88; Chris Adams (c) - 5 matches, 104 runs at 13; Mark Lathwell - 2 matches, 78 runs at 19.5; John Stephenson - 1 match, 36 runs at 18; Aftab Habib - 2 matches, 26 runs at 8.66;

All Rounders: Gavin Hamilton - 1 match, 0 runs at 0, 0 wickets. Jason Gallian - 3 matches, 74 runs at 12.33, 0 wickets.

Wicket-Keepers: Richard Blakey - 2 matches, 7 runs at 1.75, 2 catches 0 stumpings; Warren Hegg - 2 matches, 30 runs at 7.5, 8 catches 0 stumpings.

Bowlers: Gareth Batty
- 9 matches, 15 wickets at 60.93; Mark Ilott - 5 matches, 12 wickets at 45.17; Mike Smith - 1 match, 0 wickets; Martin McCague - 3 matches, 6 Wickets at 65; Simon Brown - 1 match, 2 wixkets at 69; Alan Igglesden - 3 matches, 6 wickets at 54.83; Ian Salisbury - 20 wickets at 76.95; Min Patel 2 matches, 1 wicket at 180.

Thanks to @relaxedanderson for several of the players re-purposed from his 93 squads, I've tweaked some appearances and toned down the skills significantly (in a world where Chris Adams and Steve James are rated in the 70s, Don Bradman would be 6000)

Using @Llewelynf retro lion and stumps logo on the kit, thanks to him for that.

If you can beat @Mouseydread Windies 1984 with these misfits on Legend/Hardest/Hardest you win everything :)

username - mrdconnors

Last edited:

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
Reprising (and slightly changing) an idea I had for DBC14, I've just uploaded an "England Worst XI" of the 1990s.

In a shocking decade, we managed to truly plumb the depths... among 20 players we have a single test 50, that from "leg spinner" Ian Salisbury. A test-50 should be disqualification for consideration, but a bowling average of 76.95 kept him in.

Full Squad and their "records":

Batters: Hugh Morris - 3 matches, 115 runs at 19.17; John Morris - 3 matches, 71 runs at 23.67, his international career served only to provide an answer to the quiz question "who was with David Gower in the Tiger Moth?"; Steve James - 2 matches, 71 runs at 17.75; Matthew Maynard - 4 matches, 87 runs at 10.88; Chris Adams (c) - 5 matches, 104 runs at 13; Mark Lathwell - 2 matches, 78 runs at 19.5; John Stephenson - 1 match, 36 runs at 18; Aftab Habib - 2 matches, 26 runs at 8.66;

All Rounders: Gavin Hamilton - 1 match, 0 runs at 0, 0 wickets. Jason Gallian - 3 matches, 74 runs at 12.33, 0 wickets.

Wicket-Keepers: Richard Blakey - 2 matches, 7 runs at 1.75, 2 catches 0 stumpings; Warren Hegg - 2 matches, 30 runs at 7.5, 8 catches 0 stumpings.

Bowlers: Gareth Batty
- 9 matches, 15 wickets at 60.93; Mark Ilott - 5 matches, 12 wickets at 45.17; Mike Smith - 1 match, 0 wickets; Martin McCague - 3 matches, 6 Wickets at 65; Simon Brown - 1 match, 2 wixkets at 69; Alan Igglesden - 3 matches, 6 wickets at 54.83; Ian Salisbury - 20 wickets at 76.95; Min Patel 2 matches, 1 wicket at 180.

Thanks to @relaxedanderson for several of the players re-purposed from his 93 squads, I've tweaked some appearances and toned down the skills significantly (in a world where Chris Adams and Steve James are rated in the 70s, Don Bradman would be 6000)

Using @Llewelynf retro lion and stumps logo on the kit, thanks to him for that.

If you can beat @Mouseydread Windies 1984 with these misfits on Legend/Hardest/Hardest you win everything :)

username - mrdconnors

Oi! Steve James was a quality player. He would have been a quality Test player as well if he was given a shot instead of the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley etc getting their 40th chance. James got to face Murali on a raging bunsen and Donald/Pollock under lead-grey skies with about ten minutes notice. Best opener in the county game for four or five years!

Anyway, onto less contentious issues, for the sake of internal consistency my 90s squads are based purely on First Class/List A stats, maxing out at 100 for a 50+ FC average. I haven't taken international performances into account which (sickeningly) means that the aforementioned Hick and Ramps will be rated around the same as Viv!

As you are doing, anyone transposing those players to international cricket is going to have to do some tweaking.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Oi! Steve James was a quality player. He would have been a quality Test player as well if he was given a shot instead of the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, Crawley etc getting their 40th chance. James got to face Murali on a raging bunsen and Donald/Pollock under lead-grey skies with about ten minutes notice. Best opener in the county game for four or five years!

Anyway, onto less contentious issues, for the sake of internal consistency my 90s squads are based purely on First Class/List A stats, maxing out at 100 for a 50+ FC average. I haven't taken international performances into account which (sickeningly) means that the aforementioned Hick and Ramps will be rated around the same as Viv!

As you are doing, anyone transposing those players to international cricket is going to have to do some tweaking.

Yeah he was a decent player to be fair. I’m from Gloucester so James was always getting write-ups in our local paper for his Glamorgan exploits as “Lydney-born Steve James” or “Lydney rugby star Steve James”...

I have found in prior games it was always easy to over power players too, so I generally err on the low end. For cricket 19 as there are 5 blocks for each skill I work back - treating a full 5 blocks as absolute world class, full 4 for top international, full 3 for top county/domestic etc and skill roughly around that. I’m getting relatively lower-rated players but generally producing excellent game play.

relaxedanderson

County Cricketer
Yeah he was a decent player to be fair. I’m from Gloucester so James was always getting write-ups in our local paper for his Glamorgan exploits as “Lydney-born Steve James” or “Lydney rugby star Steve James”...

I have found in prior games it was always easy to over power players too, so I generally err on the low end. For cricket 19 as there are 5 blocks for each skill I work back - treating a full 5 blocks as absolute world class, full 4 for top international, full 3 for top county/domestic etc and skill roughly around that. I’m getting relatively lower-rated players but generally producing excellent game play.

Problem I've got is that I can't try the teams out until the Steam version is released, and with around 400 players on my to-do list I needed a mechanical process for setting ratings. So I made a spreadsheet where a player's average corresponds with a particular rating and I adjust the blocks until I get that rating. Then I allocate perks with a random number generator depending on the player's status; legend, top international, international and then a sliding scale based on rating. It's not perfect and I will have no idea how balanced it is until I actually get the game but at least it's consistent. If there is a problem then I can adjust everyone in proportion later.

I remember trying do a load of players just by judgement in DBC17 and it ended up horribly out of balance. I've just gone mathematical this time.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Problem I've got is that I can't try the teams out until the Steam version is released, and with around 400 players on my to-do list I needed a mechanical process for setting ratings. So I made a spreadsheet where a player's average corresponds with a particular rating and I adjust the blocks until I get that rating. Then I allocate perks with a random number generator depending on the player's status; legend, top international, international and then a sliding scale based on rating. It's not perfect and I will have no idea how balanced it is until I actually get the game but at least it's consistent. If there is a problem then I can adjust everyone in proportion later.

I remember trying do a load of players just by judgement in DBC17 and it ended up horribly out of balance. I've just gone mathematical this time.

yep, until you play you never know. And with everyone's differing ability what's right for one player will be too weak or overpowered for someone else

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@relaxedanderson - Got James lbw 2nd ball for a 0...

Skittled them for 82...

Maybe I have gone too far the other way - but they chose to bat on a cloudy morning in Durham with a grassy pitch. With my seam attack of Le Roux, Kortright, Stephenson and Rice perhaps 82 is about all that batting lineup would muster in those conditions.

Will see how they fare in more benign circumstances

Users who are viewing this thread