Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
@cricket_online I saw you mention you changed pitch marker? Did it actually change because for me it's been bugged since day 1 and no matter the value it will not change...

Also yes do you remember I said in one match I was in 6th stump and ball would race away through gap point/cover. This is completely unrealistic and if the ball isn't mega wide they just play that ugly cover drive shot. I'm not kidding as a total experience I'm having more fun on mobile game when batting

Abcd9994

Club Captain
Ok, I finally got the latest patch (1.03) on PS4 in North America and spent some time playing the game. Here are my observations...

Match setup and slider settings:
1. I played a Tets match as England vs Australia at Gabba (Medium, Dry pitch).
2. Packed the England team with right handers. E.g., I added Ollie Pope, James Vince and Sam Billings to the lineup.
3. Pitch Bounce slider was set to 30. Rest of the Physics sliders were unchanged.
4. The AI difficult was Legend and the rest of the base difficulties other than Batting were set to Hard.
5. The base Batting difficulty was set as Medium with Ball Display Marker set to 80.

The Good
1. Overthrows are addressed. I did not see any overthrow while I was batting. There was always someone backing up and stopped the ball and I wasn't able to even get a single off overthrows.
2. Running between the wickets has been addressed and now you can easily take runs even after playing a shot off the backfoot. The running has become almost as easy as Cricket 19 with you able to take runs often even after hitting the ball to an infielder.
3. Slips and wkt keeper took all the edges that came their way.

The Bad
1. Everytime fielder hits the stumps, and that's quite often, an audio clip of fielding team appealing triggers. In fact fielding team is not even appealing most of the times but the audio plays and after a few times, it gets on your nerves and you want to mute TV.
2. Fielders hit the stump quite often and would put a hybrid of Jonty Rhodes, Ponting and Colin Bland to shame. Big Ant need to look at some stats to see that direct hits are a rare occasion and the probability reduces the farther the fielder is away from the stumps. In the match I played the Fin leg fielder hit the stumps directly nearly every time.
3. Fielding is improved but still poor. Fielder at the boundary stops the ball and freezes for a few seconds allowing the batsman to run 4 instead of 2. Can't say much about catching as I played a Test and other than edges to slip & wkt keeper, I didn't give a chance to other fielders but all the dges were taken.
4. Field sets are still poor and don't factor in where you're scoring runs. You can play the same shot and score 4 boundaries in a row but the AI doesn't react. It changes the field randomly similar to Cricket 19 and I couldn't decipher any reasoning for the same. Don't think the term "AI" does justice to whatever logic determines field changes.
5. The wagon wheel only captures 19 or 20 scoring shots. No matter how many runs you score, the wagon wheel only shows just a few random scoring shots, which is a huge bummer for folks who're into stats.

Batting
Now coming to my favorite part - Batting! The bad news is batting is "random", and that's the best way to put it, and here're some points regarding the same...
1. Leg side shots are much more powerful and easy to play compared to off side shots. And pulling the ball for a 4 is a pretty easy task.
2. Off side shots are under-powered compared to leg side shots and unfortunately Big Ant has never been able to nail the balance. If they had taken Cricket 19 batting through the off side, and added leg side shots from Cricket 22, we would've had a pretty good batting experience.
3. Cover drives are still broken. When you hit shots through the off side against pacers, it goes to a few select areas - Cover fielder, Extra cover (where AI never puts a fielder), and Point.
4. I was able to finally play a couple of shots against pacers through the gap between Cover and Point. What I found was the shot triggers randomly when the ball is way outside off and the RS is pushed at 3'o clock (batting far camera) or 9'o clock (broadcast cam). Majority of shots still go to Cover and Point region when the RS is at 3'o clock but if the line is wide enough the ball races through the gap between Cover and Point.
5. Continuing the theme from earlier point, I took the stance outside leg - essentially batsman standing nearl 5th or 6th stump on the leg side. I saw that I was able to hit the gap between Cover and Point more regularly thus proving that the way to hit that specific gap was dependent on the line, i.e. way wide off the stump which is not practical in real life.
6. I didn't face the same challenge with spinners with me able to hit the ball anywhere properly on the off side. Thus the issue is limited to facing pacers, which is similar to not able to play a forward defensive shot against pacers on the off side.

P.S: I played standard shots without using any triggers/modifiers (L2/R2).

Overall, folks who're not hung up on batting and don't really care how they score runs and are fine with randomness while batting will find the game fun to play. But if you're looking for a batting simulator, and play cricket games for batting, you'll be disappointed.
Yeah I loved the batting mechanics in Cricket 19. And switching to cricket 22 feels like a bit of a downgrade (not talking about animations). To be honest I feel that the leg side is fine (the batting mechanics not the AI field sets), that's the way it should be imo.
But other than the leg side, Some shots feel underpowered, cover drives through extra cover/ point are weird (agree 120% with your point on finding that gap between cover and point),

On Steam, after yesterday's patch, forward defence has some issue again. It's not working as well as it was, after they had fixed the broken forward defence in earlier patch.

And yes, sometimes when AI bowler is differently handed to human batter and they're bowling over the wicket, they keep bowling straight. You can keep hitting them for boundaries, AI will neither bowl off side nor will they change the field to provide extra protection on leg side.

Given that they added new shots and animations, I would have been content and happy had they kept the same batting mechanics and AI field sets as cricket 19,

I'm not saying that batting is broken on cricket 22 or that it's just not fun at all, it is fun for me but it's a downgrade from cricket 19. Although I do remember that even 19 had issues at some point, it wasn't always as nice as it is now, so I hope they patch things up on 22.

Honestly, I'm rooting for the BA team.. they seem to be hard at work and if they make things better in a week or two, given the current state of things, I'll be mighty impressed

Last edited:

Harigoks

County Cricketer
So I see more patches coming in today and tomorrow as per some Tweets. Why is this a rapid patching method rather than taking time, fixing things in a patch or two with a good size and settle? From the patch last night, there has been more bugs as they tried to fix few things.

Can anyone tell me if you can change your appearance or kits in career mode? Is not something that should have been fixed by now and that's pretty basic? Slider changes or custom difficulties doesn't get saved as well for one or two reason. They need to take a break and fix them and not tirelessly working and patching and breaking.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So I see more patches coming in today and tomorrow as per some Tweets. Why is this a rapid patching method rather than taking time, fixing things in a patch or two with a good size and settle? From the patch last night, there has been more bugs as they tried to fix few things.

Can anyone tell me if you can change your appearance or kits in career mode? Is not something that should have been fixed by now and that's pretty basic? Slider changes or custom difficulties doesn't get saved as well for one or two reason. They need to take a break and fix them and not tirelessly working and patching and breaking.
Am not able to see fatigue management or Selection status screen in the career mode. But I was able to use gym after the game and press enter, go the the next game.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I was actually batting on this occasion. I think I just had a ropey start and then started to get into the groove a little bit the longer I went on.

Good job it wasn't the AI batting. If they'd gone 127-7 to 310-9 I'd probably have put my controller through the TV.
I see my 127-7 was nearly on the money compared to last night's antics. Big tick for BA! :lol

Shame that England didn't pick Bess, Broad and Anderson to take them up past 300....

midhun333

County Cricketer
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@cricket_online I saw you mention you changed pitch marker? Did it actually change because for me it's been bugged since day 1 and no matter the value it will not change...

Also yes do you remember I said in one match I was in 6th stump and ball would race away through gap point/cover. This is completely unrealistic and if the ball isn't mega wide they just play that ugly cover drive shot. I'm not kidding as a total experience I'm having more fun on mobile game when batting
Actually I found out that the pitch marker slider is missing from the game. We only have a ball marker slider which annoys me. They should have included the pitch marker slider as well. Anyway I raised a ticket on this issue.

Pravain

Club Captain
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
I had two left handed AI batsmen got out in similar fashion in the same innings. Is this new Meta or something?

luke58

School Cricketer
@Harigoks I don't think we'll be getting batting changes as it doesn't seem to be a problem everyone experiences which is a big shame.

But I've played enough to know there's a problem, I'm not even getting all the shots a square cut should be a square cut not a cover drive. Batting feels so limited literally reminds me of EA cricket titles.

I even set a offside heavy field and the AI could hardly get through the gaps at all. Animations etc are great but not if that's all they are. Like something feels fundamentally broken, even ideal timing shots just die like a fart idk it's not fun.

I remember Ashes 2009 game, was so fun to bat as you knew if you pick right shot there is chance of a reward and you could aim to place the balls in gaps, this feels like I'm playing 8 direction input and 2 of those directions don't even work.

I just want my shots to come out idc if timed shots go to fielder it happens but at least give me the ability to score all around. I don't want to feel bogged down in a match because my shots don't work as they're meant to, is that really a thing to be asking for 8 years into a series?

I feel like since this mocap stuff came into action the games have felt so weird, DBC14 and hell even EA and Real Cricket do a good job in terms of feeling
Ashes 2007 was great when it to came to batting …. The battling on cricket 22 is strange .. I am playing hook shots which is going to other side of the field for 4 .. if it was once that’s fine but few times which tells me what is going on with this game

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Does the "Show Forecast" button work for anyone else?

Pause menu -> Review -> Match Review -> Show Forecast.

I can click it but it does nothing. I'm on a base PS4, latest patch.

If it's not just me I'll raise a ticket.

s0074845

Club Captain
What’s the point of releasing stadium creator tool when the academy itself does not work and people keep asking them when they will fix it with little to no response

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Does the "Show Forecast" button work for anyone else?

Pause menu -> Review -> Match Review -> Show Forecast.

I can click it but it does nothing. I'm on a base PS4, latest patch.

If it's not just me I'll raise a ticket.
Same with mine... No response...

Users who are viewing this thread