To manual appeal or not to manual appeal?

To manual appeal or not to manual appeal?

• Manual Appeal

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Auto Appeal

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters

DiscoStu76

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
guys, i have not ruled out manual appeal altogether...some good points mentioned here...yes, auto appeal has to be in anyway for cpu...

when bowling though, the human player could choose auto or manual appeal (should be a choice to turn on or off). Could also have the semi-auto option, where obvious things are given out automatically but 'borderline' calls could bring up a little icon which means if you push the appeal button during the time that icon is there then you will appeal, otherwise you will miss your chance and the umpire will ignore it...?

that's just a possible option...

I dont like the idea really of appealing for everything, could get really annoying and unrealistic.

LM

Regarding a manual appeal option.
I was thinking what would happen if a bowler started appealing even if its obviously not out. Id say the following might happen:

- In extreme amounts the bowler would be fined/banned for disconscent. Perhaps in the game a bowler could be sent off, so therefore he can not bowl.

- In lesser amounts the umpire would get frustrated and therefore may actually get tougher on his decisions. Maybe not giving very close LBW's out when he might otherwise.

- Maybe the bowlers confidence could go down if he appeals too much?

Guys,

id like to get a poll on whether people want manual appealling included or not.

Things to consider are:

would it get too annoying?
would it detract from realism?
if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do?
why would i not appeal for everything?
will it still be out if i dont appeal?

LM

Don't you think this thread should be a poll?

Anyway, I like the idea of manual appealing, though there should be an option to have automatic appealing (maybe have it linked to the game difficulty, as the game gets harder you will need to appeal for more things)

Appealing should be linked to the umpire's stats, if the team is over-appealing, the umpire might lean towards the batsman more in close decisions. It should also link to confidence and tiredness factors for fielding/bowling, if a lot of decisions are turned down then they will go down and up respectively. For batsman they might be a little bit off guard after a close not-out or might play more risky shots (in the case of the cpu).
Having a negative impact on bowler/fielder stats from over-appealing would lead to 'if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do?' and 'why would i not appeal for everything?' being redundant.

As for 'will it still be out if i dont appeal?' depends on how close the decision would be, something that would go to the third umpire, eg a close run out, would need a manual appeal but a obvious one would be given without a manual appeal. All LBWs should need manual appeals.

Toggleabe on/off.

would it get too annoying? Can be turned off
would it detract from realism? Add to it
if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do? No
why would i not appeal for everything? Cos it isn't realistic
will it still be out if i dont appeal? No

I thought the system in C97 worked quite well. The computer appealed for the more obvious ones and you had to appeal for the more dicey ones. Make sure there is plenty of time to appeal though otherwise, as I sometimes found, you were hitting the button and the bowler was walking back to his mark.

No, it would be a great feature

definitely not

I don't think so

Perhaps introduce a feature that if you appeal for everything, this could work against you when the umpire is considering a more dicey decision. I.e. more likely to be given a 50/50 call if don't over appeal

If semi auto, and the program doesn't automatically appeal for you, if you don't appeal then it is always not out

it would be a great feature and definitely add to the realism. if you use it too much and it becomes annoying then stop doing it! What is semi-auto? When half the fielders appeal?

If it's going to be in, then there should definitely be an option to turn it on/off as the user desires. Personally, I don't think I would use it very much, because generally the computer appeals when I would, although not always - but if it doesn't then it wouldn't be given out anyway, so what's the point of appealing?

Also, will manual appealing be used for caught behind as well? No other sim has appeals for caught behind, because the ball always takes a big and loud deflection. If you're allowing appeals for caught behind (is this in the game?), then I suppose you need some system for deciding how close a play-and-miss has to be before you can appeal. You can of course just use the same system as for the CPU, but then if there's no difference between automatic and manual appealing then again, what's the point ...

If there is manual appeal, I think it's important that silly or excessive appeals don't affect batsman confidence, or if they do a little bit, otherwise it might make it too easy to get wickets. I do like the idea of umpire's decisions being affected by the level of appealing though ...

Personally, I think that manual appealing is a luxury which wouldn't really add to the gameplay after the initial fun has worn off, and I wouldn't really like to see the release set back for it to be introduced.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that manual appealing is a luxury which wouldn't really add to the gameplay after the initial fun has worn off, and I wouldn't really like to see the release set back for it to be introduced.

I remember playing c2k2 and c2k4 where you would get a plumb lbw and there would be no appeal. It depends on the game engine I guess.

I don't post here much, but i have been following TAOC.

My thoughts in concern to manual appealing is...

It would be really great to have it in the game. However, unless it is perfectly implemented I feel it will make the game worse, for example if you forgot to appeal for a plumb and its not out, or if you appeal for the most blatant not out ever and get it.

I have no idea about your programming skills(they do seem pretty top notch), but i feel that unless you can literally get it to perform perfectly without flaws then it is not worth having.

My opinion is you should leave it out the first version and then if you make updates/a second version then its a great idea. But it isn't neccesary and it could provide a big disadvantage to the game if it doesn't work properly.

Just my thoughts :)

No, I feel people will get used to it. But make it clear that you must manually appeal unless it is plumb

No, it would add to it, especially if it just required the pressing of one button.

I think there should be a region of so not out that you cannot appeal.

Lowers bowlers confidence and makes umpires more strict with LBWs.

Some members have been expressing their concerns that they might forget to appeal for a plumb LBWand it won't be given out. My reply is this. How many bowlers do you see forgetting to appeal for a plumb LBW? :p

Some members have been expressing their concerns that they might forget to appeal for a plumb LBWand it won't be given out. My reply is this. How many bowlers do you see forgetting to appeal for a plumb LBW? :p

How many bowlers do you see get a plumb LBW and then look for a special button to appeal? :p They just throw their hands in the air. If you throw your hands in the air when you're playing the game, by the time you remember to press the appeal button it might be too late ... :p

Users who are viewing this thread