To manual appeal or not to manual appeal?

To manual appeal or not to manual appeal?

• Manual Appeal

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Auto Appeal

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Semi-Auto

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters
I would love a manual appeal button. It would be great , better to include it.

I'm for manual appealing, but agree that it ought to be optional.

I'd also have thought it would be best to have you controlling the bowler's appeal only, so even if you forget to appeal, the keeper and slips should still go up for any reasonable shout, just like when you actually bowl.

The bowler failing to appeal ought to make the umpire less likely to give a decision - in real life, how quickly and whole heartedly a team appeals is a definite factor.

If it's plumb, of course, it won't make any difference. But on a dicey edge behind, the bowler failing to go up might be enough to give the batsman benefit of the doubt.

As for the problem of over appealing, I'd have thought that some kind of system similar to real life umpire warnings ought to work. You already need to have the code in the game for sorting out which lbw's are good shouts, which balls are genuine edges and so forth. If the player appeals for too many dubious shouts (ie, missing the stumps by too far, too far away from the outside edge. Shouts the CPU wouldn't go up for, in other words), the umpires ought to give a warning for excessive appealing, which would terminate in extreme cases with the bowler being taken off for contravening the spirit of the game.

would it get too annoying? No way
would it detract from realism? No way
if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do? No
why would i not appeal for everything? Why would you? Its not going to be given.
will it still be out if i dont appeal? No

would it get too annoying?
No I don't think so

would it detract from realism?
No, the opposite infact

if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do?
Umm I don't think a limit, but like it has been said before, there should be some kind of way that the umpire gives less decisions if you over appeal

why would i not appeal for everything?
There should be a warning or fine if over appealing. Also as said above. And you should not be able to appeal at everything. Say it is a ridiculous shot and there is no chance at all

will it still be out if i dont appeal?
No. You can't give an LBW out if no one appeals

How many bowlers do you see get a plumb LBW and then look for a special button to appeal? :p They just throw their hands in the air. If you throw your hands in the air when you're playing the game, by the time you remember to press the appeal button it might be too late ... :p

If you throw your hands in the hair just because you get a wicket on a computer game, then you are way too excitable.

barmyarmy said:
Toggleabe on/off.
I second that.

would it get too annoying? Well, people might get fed up with it, so best to make it switchable
would it detract from realism? No
if it is in, should there be restrictions on how many appeals you can do? No
why would i not appeal for everything? No, because it might result in confidence drop(that might be a nice feature to add ;) ).
will it still be out if i dont appeal? Again, toggleable.

would be great but a limit would be needed maybe a warning or something for excessive appealing, a player gettin prohibited from bowling in the game for manual appealing may be hard to implement tho...

why not make a meter that appears when there is a chance and the player has to mash a key or keep clicking to fill the meter to get a good decision. like you see C. Vaas appealing on top of his lungs and the umpire usually gives it out even if its a bit too high or outside the line. this could mean that if your delivery was straight onto middle stump then obviously you dont need to scream like Vaas. but if its a little high and barely cliping the bails then you keep clicking/pushing a key to build up momentum for a decision.

btw what about thin edges? do you appeal for that too?

Last edited:
I think there's a danger of over-complicating it.
The game auto-appeals but in those cases where the computer doesn't appeal for you you can do it yourself.

i voted semi-auto because if you 'forget' a plumb lbw, how i dont no, but it is there incase

Yeah manual appeal will only add to the realism of the game rather than take anything away from it.
I dont think there should be any limit on appealing.If there is excessive appealing then the umpires should get frustrated and not give borderline decisions in favour of that bowler.
But it should be toggleable between manual and auto.

great replies, everyone, thanks.

some general vibes ive gathered from all the repsonses is this:

- should be included as an option to be toggled on or off
- if on, should be semi-auto, meaning cpu will auto-appeal for you if it is plumb (how to work out a 'plumb' call is gonna be tough) but you have to manually appeal for 'borderline' calls.
- i really like the idea someone suggested for having the keeper and fielders be auto, but bowler manual, so appeals can be half-hearted if you (as the bowler) dont go up but everyone else does. This could look really cool.
- have the umpire caution the bowler if appeals too much for 'non-plumb' decisions - could have a cool cutscene for umpire warning the bowler. If bowler gets second warning then could be banned from bowling again

i like it all so far. I probably wont include it until later on though after fielders and AI is all done, just good to get a feel for what people think on the issue.

LM

LM, what you wrote is exactly how it would be good to see it implemented imo

great replies, everyone, thanks.

some general vibes ive gathered from all the repsonses is this:

- should be included as an option to be toggled on or off
- if on, should be semi-auto, meaning cpu will auto-appeal for you if it is plumb (how to work out a 'plumb' call is gonna be tough) but you have to manually appeal for 'borderline' calls.
- i really like the idea someone suggested for having the keeper and fielders be auto, but bowler manual, so appeals can be half-hearted if you (as the bowler) dont go up but everyone else does. This could look really cool.
- have the umpire caution the bowler if appeals too much for 'non-plumb' decisions - could have a cool cutscene for umpire warning the bowler. If bowler gets second warning then could be banned from bowling again

i like it all so far. I probably wont include it until later on though after fielders and AI is all done, just good to get a feel for what people think on the issue.

LM

Great , this is gonna be the one of the most unique feature of TAOC.

Users who are viewing this thread