T20 World Cup 2024 (West Indies/USA)

As expected, Rohit Sharma also retires officially from T20 internationals. He retires as the highest scorer in the format at the international level. But as with Kohli, this was largely on expected lines since Rohit is 38+ and has already been looked beyond for his franchise captaincy (Mumbai Indians).

Well played to Rohit and Kohli! The new "Raina - MSD" in announcing retirements on the same day :D

Took me a while to come to the realization that we have won! 4024 days ago we won the last ICC trophy.

Since 2013, we all Indian fans have seen nothing but heartbreaks. 2014 finals against Sri Lanka, 2015 semi finals loss to Australia, 2016 semi finals loss to West Indies, 2017 finals loss to Pakistan, 2019 semis to New Zealand, horrible 2021 where dint qualify, 2022 semis loss to England, 2023 finals loss to Australia.

The heartbreak is more common because we are a tweaking god damn good team across generations. The consistency of this team to even reach 3 finals and 4 semi finals and not including 2 world test championships finals.

I am finally happy the curse is broken, I am finally happy that RoKo got what they deserved, a trophy.

They are now world cup winners and the only one in T20 who won staying unbeaten. Virat ends his T20i career with the guy with most runs in the world cup, Rohit ends with most runs in T20z

While I am sad they are retiring from this format, I am happy they made the right decision. Rohit will be 39 when the next world cup will be played in India and Virat will be where Rohit is right now 37.

T20 is such a format that a team can be formed quickly and we have loads of talent available. I am happy Indranagar ka Gunda gets a redemption after losing 2023.

On the match, Klassen is a class act. I knew Qdk’s wicket was going to be important, but I feared Klasssen more. I knew he could do what he did today. If not for Hardik’s brilliant spell and his wicket, this was another trophy on L column for India.

Since both team batted, we were 15 short for sure. A lot of blame came on Kohli for the way he batted, should have accelerated sooner? Sure but I think it was important we dint lost wicket. The guy always comes in clutch when needed and today he just proved why.

If there is one award that is missing is horrendous player of the series and that should go to Ravindra Jadeja. He too should have retired from all formats.

Hardik Pandya, what can I say. With all the abuse he got hurled with, including some from me.. he shut all our mouths. A fit Hardik bowling is a dangerous one in limited overs. Thank you and seeing you cry, I cried.

Jasprit Bumrah, will you marry me? This guy is something else. A dream for a lot of teams. Even teams with so called great bowlers fail to do what he does on a consistent basis. His confidence in his ability sets us apart. I wish the pitch helped you a bit more on Nov 19th but thats a story of past. Thank you single handedly leading this pace attack.

Arshdeep, paaji.. you were amazing. You picked up crucial wickets at the right time.

Between Arsh, Boom and HP they scored 58 in 11 overs. Bumrah ending with an economy rate of 4 is amazing.

South Africa played like a champion side. Heart breaking for them specially with it being so close.

I am hoping we opt out of CT and South Africa win it.

Love all the Indian and non Indian fans here. We had some really great discussions. Onto the next one!

Love and blessings to all! Specially to @RUDI and African fans. Hoping you get a trophy soon!

Lets gooooooo

I had a relook, but tbh, you can't say South Africa choked yesterday. It was some unreal bowling and pressure from India that did it.
It was. After that over from Axar, getting to bowl the 16th 17th and 18th over got them 10 runs and 2 wickets. Sensational seeing they only needed a run a ball

11 years ago when Sri Lanka won the WT20 by defeating India, Sangakkara and Jayawardene retired.

And Sri Lanka went on a trophyless drought before that from 2007 atleast you can say they were reaching knockouts however failed to win one.

2014 when they won it seemed like they passed that curse to India.

Forward to 2024 India won an ICC trophy after 11 years wait with Kohli and Rohit retiring from T20I.

Looks like the curse is finally gone.

11 years ago when Sri Lanka won the WT20 by defeating India, Sangakkara and Jayawardene retired.

And Sri Lanka went on a trophyless drought before that from 2007 atleast you can say they were reaching knockouts however failed to win one.

2014 when they won it seemed like they passed that curse to India.

Forward to 2024 India won an ICC trophy after 11 years wait with Kohli and Rohit retiring from T20I.

Time will tell. Our next target has to be WTC. We have played sensational cricket in Test cricket home and away. If we can qualify for finals, we should win it this time.

I could care less of Champions Trophy since we may play in Cricket’s most boring format and who cares?

If IcC is smart, scrap ODI’s T20 and Tests are way to go for thr gamr

Time will tell. Our next target has to be WTC. We have played sensational cricket in Test cricket home and away. If we can qualify for finals, we should win it this time.

I could care less of Champions Trophy since we may play in Cricket’s most boring format and who cares?

If IcC is smart, scrap ODI’s T20 and Tests are way to go for thr gamr

I don't care much for the WTC Final match. We have been dominant, but holding the WTC Trophy actually means nothing to a lot many. I may be reiterating the same old 'a handful care about test cricket's and hence it doesn't matter.

ICC won't scrap T20 and ODI, these formats will bring in crowds and money. If they want to remove an event from the calendar,I'd rather they remove the WTC for men and bring in a WTC for women instead. Furthermore, the CT needs to go as it adds no value whatsoever.

By that logic, has it passed on to QDK/Klassen/Miller?

It was disheartening to see Miller after the match. The man was inconsolable. The man has been match winner for so many years. He probably thought of retiring after this too had they won it.

South Africa are a fantastic and what's better is that they are still young bunch of players bringing a lot of potential for the future. I genuinely wish these guys win the next World Cup.

I love how their team is shaping up especially their bowling - Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi, Coetzee, Burger, Shamsi, Maharaj and towering Jansen. Sheer quality.

By that logic, has it passed on to QDK/Klassen/Miller?
IDK.

Just found some uncanny co-relations which might be stupid or is stupid between the two teams and how it turned out in the end for two senior players in the same team.

Going by the Sri Lanka India 2014 logic, Indian cricket might take a turn for the worst. I really doub this will happen given that India is heading towards 3 separate side for each of the formats.

Evident with the retirements of VK and Rohit. In all likelihood Pandya-SKY will be the combo that should be leading us in 2026 for the title defence.

That said, I would also like to divert the conversation towards South Africa- how good have they been? They played good cricket all through and were just unlucky to run into some classy bowling. I just felt they missed someone like RVD yesterday, a she could have taken the game out of India's reach earlier. Heartening signs for SA cricket and definitely good to see them turning the heat on. SA should win a trophy in the coming years, if they keep up with this intensity.

So the trick was to ensure Kohli doesn't win any MoM awards in any of the matches leading up to the Final :p

I'm still struggling to contain my emotions. When the score read 12/2 during SA's innings, I thought yes, today might be the day. But after the Klassen mauling, I simply shut myself off and decided it's best not to witness another emotionally draining moment.

I now regret not watching it live.

Absolutely correct decisions by Kohli and Rohit. Nothing like signing off on a high. Dravid's outburst itself was an indication of how badly those 3 needed it.

On the other hand, the same and perhaps even greater pain must have been felt by the Saffers. They literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. A historic moment evaded them.

I liked this 20 team tournament. It's a great start to include more nations into playing the sport. Only wish is perphaps that of making the Super 8 round a knockout one as well to shorten the length of the event.

Internet must be flooding with memes now. Let me go and check them out.

Stop these non sense future predictions, enjoy the victory for few days folks.

This not a promotion, just mentioning the app, so that someone can use it when needed, there is a app called Crex in playstore, got to know about it last night, it's one ball faster than even cricbuzz.

Started using it when it was 30 off 30,:started celebrating when it was 19.3 overs on tv, but using it all the time takes away the magic of watching the moment, but 30 off 30 that Bumrah over was beyond words :partyat:

Users who are viewing this thread