15 Feb - Australia vs South Africa - Warmup

I doubt this pitch was as tough as the last one. Some life in it yes, but probably 250-280 runs to be scored. Two run outs in an innings is poor, especially when one puts you 2/6, but the next wicket didn't fall until Ponting had a slog, presumably out of boredom. Tahir got a bit of help from the umpire for his first, but if Tahir wasn't worth one, then it's hard to believe Peterson could have been worth three. I think they were just a bit lazy rather than bamboozled.

Some serious problems starting to develop from White downwards although he has an excuse this match. Dussey twice out to the spinners and now Smith out to one.

Spinners get praised when do so such things all the time in tests on a standard/proper turning pitch. But their is a feeling as both Ponting mentioned in the IND vs AUS warm-up, that this Bangalore wicket is a bit under-prepared - which we must not forget ICC regulations states a overly turning pitch is a poor international pitch.

Obviously its not logical for greentoops to be considered bad international pitch. How can you underprepare a pitch by allowing a fair amount of grass to be on the pitch?

That can't happen, you have the let field grass grow on the entire playing surface, which obviously would never happen.

The seaming equivalent of the current Bangalore warm-up under-prepared wicket would be not played on, because it would be an old fashioned sticky. For example, South Africa playing Australia at the MCG in 05/06, where they held up play because the pitch was a bit wet after being over-watered.

I don't think the pitch SA vs Aus was bad, certainly nowhere as bad as the india vs aus one. Only SA wicket fell and that was due to a run out. If the pitch was under prepared the aussie bowlers would have gotten more out of it.

I doubt this pitch was as tough as the last one. Some life in it yes, but probably 250-280 runs to be scored. Two run outs in an innings is poor, especially when one puts you 2/6, but the next wicket didn't fall until Ponting had a slog, presumably out of boredom. Tahir got a bit of help from the umpire for his first, but if Tahir wasn't worth one, then it's hard to believe Peterson could have been worth three. I think they were just a bit lazy rather than bamboozled.

From the cricinfo commentary it seemed to me that the aussie batsmen were looking to target peterson and botha while playing tahir out.

No way of commenting on the lbw decision since unfortunately didn't get to see the game.

Why is it that when spinners do nearly as good as pacemen, the effort of the latter gets almost completely forgotten?

I found it amusing that for the first warmup game for SA vs Zim, the headlines were all about Tahir's 3 wickets but he took the last 2 wickets of #9 and #11 and yet Morne Morkel's 3-fer, which included more quality, was largely ignored. Poor Morne, he must be one of the most underrated cricketers at present - everyone talks about Steyn and he goes under the radar.

Users who are viewing this thread