1992...1996 and 1999 ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The World Cup started in the year 1975. Since then, they have been played every 4 years. However, we saw after 1987, it was played in 1992 in Australia.
My question is -why ?

Then it again reverted to a 4 year cycle. Once again, in 1999-England, we saw that the Cup was played after a gap of 3 years.

Can anyone please explain why the 1992 one was played after a 5 year gap and why the 1999 was played after a gap of only 3 years ?

I have tried putting this question up many a times to many sources, haven'nt got any satisfactory answers though.

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would guess that it would be due to the different timings of summer in the countries

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
This is what I got from Yahoo! Answers.

The Cricket World Cup in 1987 was held from October 8 to November 8, 1987.

If the next world cup was to be held after 4 years it was to be held in October/November 1991. Since the 1992 edition of world cup was held in Australia and New Zeland, due to climatic conitions, October/November were not suitable for conducting the world cup in these countries. Hence the world cup was held from February 22 to March 25, 1992 in Australia and New Zealand

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
1992 -okay,It were to be held in Australia and then with the summer approaching and with the Apartheid regime disappearing from South Africa, alright. But what about 1999 ? I am guessing its got something to do with money.

Chewie

BCCI President
To get it back on the original every 4 years programme

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
They probably reverted back to the original 4-year schedule so it didn't have to compete with the Summer Olympics.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nice pick up I didn't actually notice that, I always linked the Rugby WC with the Cricket one but that obviously wasn't the case in the 90s until 99.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Talking of Rugby, when is the World Cup. I supp its due this year- 2015 New Zealand ?

Users who are viewing this thread