2021 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - India (UAE/Oman)

In my view, India and South Africa are evenly matched sides. Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan would fight out amongst themselves. Who knows Sri Lanka might not even make it to the Super 12. But yes, Pakistan's unpredictability should be kept in mind.

I would say this edition of WT20 would be a highly competitive one.
Possibly my initial thoughts are vindicated to some extent.

The tournament still seems competitive but only thing is the matches have been one-sided.

The problem is the attitude in which India plays the T20 , the template is outdated & it got heavily exposed.

The other glaring mistakes are repeated once again - poor tactics & captaincy.

Hopefully,changes in the management makes things better in the T20 Format.
I think Kohli recognises that their template is outdated, he's talked about the need for more attacking play. I just don't think the players in the side are necessarily suited to that style of play.

I think he'd be better off binning off T20 internationals and focus on taking the test team as far as he can. But I don't think he's the only player in this side that could be replaced.

When Dhoni/CSK give chance to an out of form player -
There is a difference between an out of form player and a player who is unfit to play. Pandya's fitness surely wasn't for Dhoni to judge. And Dhoni/CSK don't hit the panic button and chop and change people and their positions if they don't perform in one or two games unlike Kohli for RCB. The trophy cabinet of both the teams will open up your eyes.

I just don't think the players in the side are necessarily suited to that style of play.
Rohit- The cleanest strikers in world Cricket
KLR- Most consistent run-scorer who in his days can tear apart any attack
Kohli- One of the most successful batsman for India in this format
Pant- The most destructive batsman in World Cricket right now
Hardik- The best all-rounder in this side pre-injury

The issue isn't skills.... It's the mindset!

I think Kohli recognises that their template is outdated, he's talked about the need for more attacking play. I just don't think the players in the side are necessarily suited to that style of play.

I think he'd be better off binning off T20 internationals and focus on taking the test team as far as he can. But I don't think he's the only player in this side that could be replaced.
The whole T20 structure for India needs to change really. Funny we have the most talked about domestic T20 league with us and yet play such T20 cricket internationally.

Few words.

Starting from fatigue, our players have been through a lot of stress with continuous cricket in the past few months. But these are professionals, we expect them to have a good run without proper rest which seems idiotic but we have done that and have been doing it.

Secondly, team selection and management. Yes, the selectors picked the best possible squad. And I liked the way they reasoned out for picking certain players. Having said that, it was the duty of the selection committee to review their selection by the end of IPL to determine if the picks they made are doing well as expected. They missed the trick to include Chahal. He did have a bad phase recently, but he did well in the second half of IPL. And most importantly he is a wicket taking bowler. Hardik Pandya too is not a wise choice. Bhuvi was not at all impactful in IPL. Shastri, Kohli and Dhoni have the authority to make the above calls and make sure they put up the best squad they could. But I don't think they did, because they went ahead euth experience rather than backing new players.

Players looked clueless, lacked confidence and motivation. Did we miss the trick to send the players with best form currently in recently concluded IPL? No. Varun Chakravarty, Rahul, Shami etc.. did great in IPL, but failed in WC. So we can't say that we sent a worst and out of form squad to WC.

It's best to sit down, draw a roadmap, formulate new strategies and tactics, scout the best from the domestic circuit and irrespective of their international matches experience, back them. Kohli won't be there as captain by the end of this tournament. Shastri will be gone, so it's best to have Dravid pick his team rather than him given a team to start off with.

The problem is the attitude in which India plays the T20 , the template is outdated & it got heavily exposed.

The other glaring mistakes are repeated once again - poor tactics & captaincy.

Hopefully,changes in the management makes things better in the T20 Format.
Pakistan play the same way, but got away with it so far. Hoping that luck stays with us.

After looking of all the posts , I think that fatigue maybe a factor if not as a whole but still . And team selection and all that captaincy is just icing on the cake . But fatigue is a factor . Right after the end IND ENG test series , starting from the IPL till here all the Indian batsmen look exhausted . These 2 losses are just because of the batsmen TBH . Bowlers can win you matches only if you have some runs ...

The whole T20 structure for India needs to change really. Funny we have the most talked about domestic T20 league with us and yet play such T20 cricket internationally.
I think I've said on here that the IPL can be good and bad. I think it can unearth great talents, it can prepare players for the top level like no other domestic tournament. But I think it papers over cracks. Until recently the teams have been overly dependent on overseas players to be the big hitters and it's not hard to see what massive gap there is when any quick bowler who can hit a few sixes gets a massive contract. It might be, that in a few years India has half a dozen pace bowling all rounders, like a lot more big hitters have appeared in recent years.

Go and watch SCG & Gabba followed by his 100 in Ahmedabad
I have already watched them many times. Pant is one of the most destructive batsmen. But he isn't the most destructive batsman. There are many players like him. e.g. Buttler, Russell, Maxwell, ABD, etc.

I don't think he is. His IPL performance this season was good but he is nothing more than an unconventional slogger.

e.g. Buttler, Russell, ABD, etc.
Pant is more like ABD. The guy can hit a switch hit to the best pacer in the world for a six. Buttler/Russell are power hitters. They can tonk the long ball but as a bowler you accept it because of the nature of the game. But to get hit in the way Pant does it can destroy a bowler mentally.

Users who are viewing this thread