2021 ICC Men's T20 World Cup - India (UAE/Oman)

What a disastrous performance by Team India. The squad looked totally lost. The body language was down and out. The intent wasn't their since start. Looked quite bizarre. Newzeland outplayed them as well. A complete one sided performance with no intent and fight back from India at all. I feel that this defeat was more brutal than Pakistan's one however the Pakistan's one had the highest impact because of the fans and media high expectations from the Indian side.

I wonder what squad and legacy Ravi Shastri is leaving behind being a coach of this team as well as Virat Kohli. This is a poor and unfortunate ending, however its not good for them. Ravi Shastri leaves team, by all means, it will happen for good for them however I don't know who will replace VK? Rohit Sharma? Well He doesn't have that charisma.

The reasons? I believe they are bit over-confident at the start and were utterly shocked by the 10-wickets lost by Pakistan. They are now down and out. I said this earlier today that there seems no middle ground for India from here, either they will come back strong or they will be down and out.

Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that its the Indian team who was banking way too much on VK and Rohit Sharma and in bowling department they were just banking on Bumrah. Indian Middle order does not have that thing. If VK and Sharma Collapse, the entire batting unit collapses. By the way, Where was Shekar Dahwan? The only reliable batsman in the side after Virat and Sharma. Things could have been different has he been there. Also in today's game that guy Suryakumar Yadav must be given a chance, he looked confident against Pakistan and must have been backed. Also, who is Takhur? How ordinary player he looked like in this game. It can be categorized as worst performance.

Regarding IPL, my 2 cents are we should not blame it. IPL has done more good to Indian batting than damage. IPL has a huge role in improving their power hitting as well as practice against top players across the world. Its just that other teams are also their to play this game of cricket and those should be respected.
I also blame the Indian media as well, they were too overconfident and probably put a lot of pressure on the players to deliver and at the end they couldn't.

2019 WC all over again!

QF of kinds against a top side and the mainstay at the top of the order who has been the most successful opener in a decade doesn't open!!!

We will still not change the ODI captain and this batting line up will continue in merry go rounds.

How many opening combinations is that in the last 4 T20I's?

Most experienced, seasoned pro and a great bowler dropped after one bad game.

Superb leadership!! Easily, and by some margin the worst captain of all time!!!

It is CWC2007 all over again! As aforementioned, I am disappointed, not as much as in 2007, but I am disappointed. The difference being that 2007 we were expected to win with the line up. Here, we expected to compete until the customary semi-finals.

The good thing is this will bring forth a long pending enquiry that was shoved under the carpet just cause we were somehow winning games across formats. The signs of batting failure have been evident in the recent past- but no one bats an eyelid just cause the likes of Thakur and others had come to the party and bailed us out. Vikram Rathour - again, what has been his contribution?

Okay, lets come to this tournament. Reports of Dhoni having backed Ashwin, Thakur and Pandya are making the rounds. Great, he might have seen potential. But , Hardik- did he have fitness clearance from the NCA to play OR did we simply carry him there as a liability? Ashwin- I feel the animosity between captain Kohli and Ash is out there for everyone to see. On dew laden tracks, you choose to play Chakravarty while leaving out your best spinner? Like with very ICC tournament, we have screwed up our selection and that is evident here.

As for this match, the writing was on their faces at the anthem ceremony. Yes, you would be worried, but to show it so blatantly...tch tch!
Secondly, team selection and management. Yes, the selectors picked the best possible squad.
Disagree mate!

Shastri, Kohli and Dhoni have the authority to make the above calls and make sure they put up the best squad they could
Again, we have seen that Shastri has predominantly been a YES man while MSD has his eyes fixated on a few players only.

Go and watch SCG & Gabba followed by his 100 in Ahmedabad
Context? Its a different format

I don't know who will replace VK? Rohit Sharma? Well He doesn't have that charisma.
You have a better option ? Talks of Orange Cap Rahul - I sincerely hope that a selfish person like him doesnt get a chance to lead. At the moment, our best bet seems to be Rohit Sharma, just cause no one else seems to be fixed in the XI.

If you ask me, I'd strip Kohli of captaincy across formats in order to instill a new team culture that can be taken forth. In terms of captaincy, make Shreyas Iyer the captain across formats and et him run the ship with Rahul Dravid/ whosoever is the new coach. The strategy of this Indian team has been heavily focused on doing well in the Test arena. It is akin to what England used to do in the early 2000's.

Given that there are 3 World Cups (2 now) on the line, it makes better sense to employ a strategy that England currently has in place. The brand of cricket, the run accumulation that India employs is totally outdated. To go slow in the powerplay, play out until the 16th over, taking it deep and then try to tee off in the last 3 is what cricket looked like in the 1990s. If we have to be world beaters, this mentality needs to go.

Last edited:
On a side note, I was quite appalled at the quality of the broadcast and commentary out there. Harsha Bhogle talking pure b.s about Yuvraj's 6 sixes in an over and that England game was absolutely uncalled for. Murali Kartik asking 'What India can do to win from here? (With NZ having 30 runs to get) - I mean ,come on, stop acting like douches!

It is CWC2007 all over again! As aforementioned, I am disappointed, not as much as in 2007, but I am disappointed. The difference being that 2007 we were expected to win with the line up. Here, we expected to compete until the customary semi-finals.

The good thing is this will bring forth a long pending enquiry that was shoved under the carpet just cause we were somehow winning games across formats. The signs of batting failure have been evident in the recent past- but no one bats an eyelid just cause the likes of Thakur and others had come to the party and bailed us out. Vikram Rathour - again, what has been his contribution?

Okay, lets come to this tournament. Reports of Dhoni having backed Ashwin, Thakur and Pandya are making the rounds. Great, he might have seen potential. But , Hardik- did he have fitness clearance from the NCA to play OR did we simply carry him there as a liability? Ashwin- I feel the animosity between captain Kohli and Ash is out there for everyone to see. On dew laden tracks, you choose to play Chakravarty while leaving out your best spinner? Like with very ICC tournament, we have screwed up our selection and that is evident here.

As for this match, the writing was on their faces at the anthem ceremony. Yes, you would be worried, but to show it so blatantly...tch tch!

Disagree mate!

Again, we have seen that Shastri has predominantly been a YES man while MSD has his eyes fixated on a few players only.

You have a better option ? Talks of Orange Cap Rahul - I sincerely hope that a selfish person like him doesnt get a chance to lead. At the moment, our best bet seems to be Rohit Sharma, just cause no one else seems to be fixed in the XI.

If you ask me, I'd strip Kohli of captaincy across formats in order to instill a new team culture that can be taken forth. In terms of captaincy, make Shreyas Iyer the captain across formats and et him run the ship with Rahul Dravid/ whosoever is the new coach. The strategy of this Indian team has been heavily focused on doing well in the Test arena. It is akin to what England used to do in the early 2000's.

Given that there are 3 World Cups (2 now) on the line, it makes better sense to employ a strategy that England currently has in place. The brand of cricket, the run accumulation that India employs is totally outdated. To go slow in the powerplay, play out until the 16th over, taking it deep and then try to tee off in the last 3 is what cricket looked like in the 1990s. If we have to be world beaters, this mentality needs to go.

The ODI WC in 2023 is still a highly valued prize (due to its nostalgia of having produced many classic tournaments in the past). Its a prize even tiring Indian fans like me would still value. If we need to make a strong and spirited effort towards competing for that title, Virat Kohli has to be LET GO immediately for ODI captaincy and BCCI must appoint Rohit Sharma as the white ball skipper and let him mould the team for both the 2022 T20 WC and the 2023 ODI WC.

We cant just suddenly thrust the likes of Shreyas into the hot seat of captaincy when he isn't even a regular member of the main squad (he's in the reserves for this tournament, and isn't a permanent fixture in ODI's too). I know Rohit Sharma is not on the ideal side of age, but since the 2 year period from now till 2023 ODI WC, he is the right guy to lead India in the white ball formats. If Kohli does not agree to step down in ODI's immediately, announce his release from captaincy

On the Dhoni mentorship - it was a mistake on Dhoni's part to accept it! I still clearly feel that Kohli did not take too many of Dhoni's suggestions into execution (or maybe Dhoni curbed himself significantly due to his knowledge of Kohli's brand of handling things). Nothing in these two games felt like it had a significant hand of Dhoni in it. All that Dhoni did was put himself to more criticism which he doesn't need at this point of his life. If he wants to work with the Indian team, he should go out, complete coaching certification and come back much later in some coaching role. Too early right now for him to coach an Indian team. He can do that with CSK immediately (as mentor) and take them forward.

By the way, Where was Shekar Dahwan? The only reliable batsman in the side after Virat and Sharma.
Dhawan was done well before the tournament. I don't think his name should even pop up amongst the Indian fans unless they are die-hard Dhawan fans. Maybe you might not have seen him enough in the last 3 years but I can tell you he looked out of sorts and all over the place. It was actually good that he was left out.

Also in today's game that guy Suryakumar Yadav
Was left out due to stiff back.

Also, who is Takhur? How ordinary player he looked like in this game.
He was one of the reasons why India beat England in the T20I series earlier this year and also one of the reasons why CSK won the IPL this season. He is someone who would often gives away a lot of runs but he has learnt a thing of getting wickets in a bulk. And not to forget his abilities with the bat. Just scored a 27 ball half century in a Test match against England at The Oval on a seaming track.
Post automatically merged:

Format of the game was completely out of context in my post.

I just said he is one of the most destructive batsman in World Cricket right now irrespective of the format.

Last edited:
I blame Big Ant for the loss yesterday.. Since they licensed NZ they skilled them really high and since BCCI didnt give the license for India they lowered their skills a lot.. Thinking of messaging @Ross about this..
BCCI only cares about money but anything else is nothing for them including development of game

Enough already! Let's blame the pitch :lol :p
Post automatically merged:

What's up today? Easy win for Morgan and co? :yes

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The loss doesn't hurt, it's part and parcel of the game...the manner in which we lose is disheartening.

As expected, Kohli's copping a lot of hate online. Some comments are outright disgusting.

Also, safe to assume India is New Zealand's bunny?

As expected, Kohli's copping a lot of hate online. Some comments are outright disgusting.
It was okay to be logically critical of him but to make hate comments is just cruel. He doesn't deserve hate for what he has done for the Indian side as an individual player.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The loss doesn't hurt, it's part and parcel of the game...the manner in which we lose is disheartening.

Also, safe to assume India is New Zealand's bunny?
I just like how predictable Indian fans are.

I didn't post at all yesterday, but to be honest feels like I'm tired of watching cricket now, need some break from it.

The performance yesterday then Bumrah saying six months away from the family impacts you mentally, I agree and respect his words but at the same time see what Stokes did, TOOK A BREAK! If you want no one's stopping you, there are so many talented people waiting for their chances, nonetheless I'm upset with the manner India's been playing, everyone seems exhausted. I don't know where is our future but currently the lot themselves won't want to qualify and play more matches.

Next on to 2022 now. BCCI should rest all the players who want to be and prepare well for 2022 and 2023 before we begin the transition to Iyer and co.

This is my Indian XI for the 2022 World Cup based on my watching of the IPL and other things. I've jettisoned several elder statesman because I think T20 is a young man's game.

1 Prithvi Shaw (Give me that Jason Roy style care free aggression)
2 Mayank Agarwal (I considered Kishan, Jaiswal, Gaikwad but I think Agarwal just deserves a chance to open for India in some format)
3 Suryakumar Yadav (would like to see him given a run in a fixed position)
4 Shreyas Iyer (how he isn't in the 2021 squad is perplexing to me)
5 Rishabh Pant
6 Hardik Pandya (if he's bowling he's worth his place - if he's not gimme Venky Iyer or another batsman)
7 Jadeja
8 Lord Thakur (good batting option)
9 Bumrah
10 Avesh Khan or Deepak Chahar (someone for the power play)
11 Rahul Chahar or Yuzi Chahal

Users who are viewing this thread