3rd Test: Australia v England at The WACA, Perth, 13-17 Dec

england went no.1 in the rankings in about 2009, you could argue the last 3-4 years, barring the odd minor hiccup, have been the best cricket england has played since the 50s.

you're right, they have always wanted an all-rounder. just that a brief glance at their record makes you think "why?"

hell, even flintoff was liability most of the time.

Last edited:
A good turnaround yesterday. Was checking the score occasionally while waiting for Muse last night. Last I saw was Smith on 80*. I was willing him along, hoping he'd get his ton. Thankfully he did and those calling for his head, may calm down now. He was one of the positive things from the tour in England and made handy contributions in India.

Hopefully, we'll kick on past 400 today and set up the match nicely

A battery of four quicks and the world's best spinner all be it out of form then it shudders me to think how 'average' the England attack must be?

Um, since when is Swann better than Ajmal?

Not a bad effort from Australia today with the bat but not great either. It would of been nice for Steve Smith and Mitchell Johnson to score a few more runs to add onto their overnight scores. Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle and Nathan Lyon managed to stay at the crease for a little while though and score a few runs. Australia added a further 59 runs today to make their final score 385 all out. England bowled a much better length today and did well to stop Australia scoring 400.

Hopefully Australia bowl that fuller length from the start and bowl a few well aimed short balls to mix it up. England overdid the short ball on Day 1 and it became predictable.

:facepalm
The biggest problem with DRS has always been the human input...

The ICC is far too concerned with "supporting the onfield umpire" and not enough with getting the decision right.

I thought it was not out the whole time but that noise just after the ball passes the bat is interesting. I thought hot spot not showing anything would have been conclusive enough.

:facepalm
The biggest problem with DRS has always been the human input...

The ICC is far too concerned with "supporting the onfield umpire" and not enough with getting the decision right.

Been saying that all along. They needed to look at the aim, I would trust to get decisions right, and whether or not they are by applying it in the same fashion as powerplays and also in the hands of the teams.

The umpire should have DRS at his disposal when he isn't sure, one of the "own goals" the application of the DRS produces is that he can "guess" and feel safe in the knowledge that DRS will either correct it (an error), be inconclusive or reinforce his decision.

For me you either get all decisions right or you're only part using the technology. The snickers-o-meter for me is a gimmick and shouldn't be used, if there is insufficient contact to detect an edge by VISION then you shouldn't rely on sound. Simon Hughes, the master of gimmickery, himself stated that there is a problem with aligning the sound to the vision so you don't know exactly when the sound occurred.

So I say they should give it to umpires to check all OUT decisions, and not outs where they are unsure/borderline. Captains could be permitted to request a review where they are sure it is an incorrect decision, but any excesses or blatant abuse whereby the decision is found to be not even close and they will suffer sanctions - bans, fines, penalty runs, even a forfeiture if they treat it like appealing ie as a given right/part of the game.

So 4 down and into the tail. Lucky to get 200.

Australia have scored at 4 rpo whereas we've been at 2.5 again. With a decent scoring rate we could have 200 already.

StinkyBoHoon said:
totally agree, I think 5 bowlers is always, always, always, a rubbish decision. it's nice if you have a guy that can do a little more than just turn his arm over to change things up but playing someone that's steadfastly rubbish at batting for their bowling is suicide.

I cannot think of a scenario where it works, it means the captain is trying to juggle five frontline bowlers and the only possible "benefit" would be if two bowlers are bowling utter rubbish by which time you're probably in trouble anyway.

Stokes has now done a very part-time bowler job of taking three wickets @ 51.00 I believe it is. Not exactly the stuff of an "all-rounder", and frankly I wonder if given Stokes' overs between them if Broad, Swann or maybe Anderson or Bresnan might have helped bowl the aussies out cheaper.

You could argue the juggling of too many bowlers helped ease the pressure of the aussies with Bresnan and Anderson not firing at their best, Stokes probably loving it but not exactly a massive threat.

We're now going to see how his batting stands up, 1 & 28 are handy but when you need hundreds with the top order not going on is Stokes likely to do something match changing with the bat? Reckon a 20, 30, maybe 40 or 50, but I think Prior on form is more likely to be a six than Stokes.

The only genuinely rubbish batsman in England's team for this match is Anderson. Stokes is unproven at test level, although his FC average isn't great. Still an average of around 30 is better than nothing and while it might not be as good as Balance's FC average of ~50, his bowling is significantly better.

It's the kind of average you want at seven, not at six. If England are into the middle/lower order at four wickets down they're in trouble.

Whether or not a tailender is or isn't a genuine rabbit is irrelevant, the runs are supposed to be scored by the top order. It is no coincidence that the top sides of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s used four bowlers. Maybe none of England's bowlers are genuine "World Class" like Marshall et al, or indeed McGrath and Warne, but you don't compensate a lack of quality with quantity.

I get your point that unless you bowl a team out you are going to need the extra batsman. But equally if you are struggling to bowl a team out, then having an extra bowler can help shoulder the burden.

Root and Pietersen "can help shoulder the burden", the point is by the time you've finished juggling your resources if your first four choices of bowler haven't done a lot of damage, what odds the sixth?

I've found no evidence to support five bowlers, sometimes you only need three to bowl sides out and sometimes the spinner is completely redundant first innings.

It's mainly about "variety" and then England contradict themselves by including four fairly similar seamers of whom none are left-arm or particularly fast :facepalm If you included say a very fast right-arm seamer, a left-armer and another right-arm seamer, a leg-spinner and an off-spinner I could understand it, but this is just like throwing numbers at a problem hoping one will have a good day.

So yes it lightens the workload, but you get days/matches where you don't bowl sides out cheaply. But as it is only 80 overs between new balls and indeed usually 90 or less overs a day, is splitting 90 overs between four frontline bowlers (about 21 each say) and part-timers (about six overs) is that a lot to ask? And of course the spinner should be able to take more overs if needed, so a 30-18-18-18-6 split is possible.

Even if you argue the "burden split" angle, 90/5 = 18 which is only three less than if a part-timer bowls six overs or even the spinner takes those. And of course the captain will inevitably bowl the biggest threat the most/over-rely on him and as I've said many times in the past, this often leads to the underuse of other bowlers.

And there's the lame/age old argument of covering for injury, well I'm afraid it doesn't happen that often and to pick your side in case of injury is handicapping yourself through paranoia.

As for the match, well as I've been typing England have lost their fourth wicket and are still a long way behind. Stokes needs to step up, 2/3 of our supposed best batsmen are out, time to see if 6-11 support Bell, have to try and compensate for his (relative) failure, or what happens next.

England conceded a good position despite supposedly strengthening the bowling, and with Cook and Carberry both doing what is problematic for England at the moment, getting in and not going on, England simply aren't scoring the weight of runs necessary down under. In England the bowlers in suited conditions could rescue them, but when push comes to shove England don't do pressure very well - either putting it on sides or coping with it on themselves.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think England will concede a 70+ run lead and at best hang on for a draw at the death, but if the aussies work on the lower order in spite of a lack of more than one "rubbish batsman", they could prey on Stokes' lack of experience, Prior's lack of form, Broad, Bresnan and Swann being decent but sadly poor in shot selection, and then not need to worry about Anderson, Bell might again be left stranded.

So 4 down and into the tail. Lucky to get 200.

Australia have scored at 4 rpo whereas we've been at 2.5 again. With a decent scoring rate we could have 200 already.

I think England might hit a few late runs, can see one or two of 7-11 hitting a 20 or 30. A lot hinges on them and of course what Bell does.

If Bell can bat close to the end of the innings I reckon he can boss it. What annoys me is he can be a good hitter which begs the question about him and why he doesn't come out as a better ODI batsman.

England need to get within 50-70 runs or face a long hard struggle to avoid defeat. So far the five bowler theory has seen England concede 570/9, 385 an 132/3d (off 39 overs), if four bowlers couldn't match that I'd be shocked.

And shocker in that five bowlers bowled 100+ overs twice and didn't bowl the opposition out the other, albeit a shortened innings, so what did England gain?!?!? Less tired bowlers to bowl 100+ overs the next innings, and the innings after that, and the innings....................... ?!!?! :rolleyes

English Batsmen are so boring :mad

English Batsmen are so boring :mad

It's a fear thing, England crawled along out in Pakistan in 00/01 because that was the only way they could but now it is inexcusable.

I suppose it is better than throwing their wickets away, but not by much and how they think this is going to help save the Ashes I don't know.

You might expect it of Stokes, in some ways it is almost welcome that he is supporting the only remaining frontline batsman, but from Pietersen and Bell is it poor indeed to score 28 runs between them from 121 deliveries.

They need to be VERY careful the 'plan' (or it might just be unplanned stupidity) doesn't backfire, as in 12 overs time there'll be a new ball due and the lower order might get blown away.

In 12 overs England could conceivably plod along at 2-4 runs an over taking them to between 204 and 228 as the 80 over score, both still over 150 runs shy of the aussie total.

Of course you do wonder if that was the 'plan', I bet England thought they were "back in the Ashes" when the aussies were 143/5 but realised as they rallied that they might have to stick to this 'plan' of grinding runs. Might have been wiser to pick a more varied bowling attack and proper number six.

I seem to remember back when England were collapsing in UAE against Pakistan discussion of the merits of keeping the same side for at least the first two Tests, better perhaps than chop and change and then sticking with a bad plan (five bowlers)

The problem with switching around in the 2nd Test was that was then a Test England could not really afford to lose, so a switch of tactics (four > five bowlers) and personnel didn't aid the cause, a bit of batting practice and better value place on batsmen's wickets would have gone a lot further.

In 2005 England only used 12 players, an enforced change at that (Jones injured), they've used 14 already this series while the aussies have gone three Tests unchanged. The aussies do have the advantage of Watson as their 5th bowler and Smith as a handy leggie, but if you don't have a solid all-rounder then you're better off playing a batsman and four bowlers.

The way the two sides bat though Australia speed the game up whereas England take time out of the game.
The result is that if England bat really well they've still got a high chance of drawing whereas if Australia do they've got a good chance of winning.

from what I can see, Clarke dried up the runs on purpose as a tactic. I suppose the bigger worry is that more and more teams seem to be identifying englands habit of getting bogged down and then getting out cheaply playing a rash shot.

it seems quite easy to coax england out of playing each ball on its merits. they approach tough situations by resolving not to play any shots for a few overs then hitting a 4 to relieve pressure. KPs dismissal seemed a case of just choosing an arbitrary ball to go after because he felt he'd done enough blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread