5th Test: England vs Australia at the Brit Oval

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
That was kinda of a good session that I was talking about. Just need to roll out the 7 other wickets for 60 runs and then somehow get 300 odd runs.

Now, if you'd picked a frontline spinner, you'd have a chance. As it is, I can't see that happening. I think you'll be looking at 350 minimum target.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Seems like England's first innings total was a good score.. England have now got a 200 run lead.

Yes it was very valuable and it rubs in the fact that Australia started poorly with the ball AGAIN. Too much rubbish, feeding Strauss on his pads and letting England cruise to lunch. Contrast with the way England bowled to Katich and Watson before lunch yesterday. Even though they got to 60 unbeaten, there weren't many bad balls and there was constant pressure from Anderson in particular.

Now, if you'd picked a frontline spinner, you'd have a chance. As it is, I can't see that happening. I think you'll be looking at 350 minimum target.

Yep, it's been an awful selection call. I can't see Katich and North tag teaming us to victory here :noway

But honestly, who designed this pitch??? And how lucky was England to have first use of it??? It's a shame the series has to be decided like this where the toss is worth it's weight in gold. Even so, England have made better use of the conditions, I just think the conditions suck. Shame on you groundstaff.

I2icho

School Cricketer
I was expecting at least 300 on the board for Australia,
20 odd runs between Ponting, Clarke, Hussy, North
Not really good enough to deserve the Ashes

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Bloody hell what's happened? I go to sleep when they're 1/60 and I wake up to see England batting again? C'mon bowlers, this is the time to shine!

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
We either want rain or to bowl them all out for a lead of 300-350 to give us a chance. Or if England's stupid and keeps batting until the last day:sarcasm

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

Well North already has 1 wicket for this innings. And lets be honest, Hauritz got outbowled by Clarke on a similar dust bowl in India, hes never been the match winning type of bowler.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I'm kind of happy I went to bed last night just when Ponting came to the crease.

I too thought that England would win (weather permitting) if they won the toss and batted, I hope we can win or draw it from here.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yes it was very valuable and it rubs in the fact that Australia started poorly with the ball AGAIN. Too much rubbish, feeding Strauss on his pads and letting England cruise to lunch. Contrast with the way England bowled to Katich and Watson before lunch yesterday. Even though they got to 60 unbeaten, there weren't many bad balls and there was constant pressure from Anderson in particular.

Yep, it's been an awful selection call. I can't see Katich and North tag teaming us to victory here :noway

But honestly, who designed this pitch??? And how lucky was England to have first use of it??? It's a shame the series has to be decided like this where the toss is worth it's weight in gold. Even so, England have made better use of the conditions, I just think the conditions suck. Shame on you groundstaff.

I really don't think the pitch is all that bad. I'm happy, because I was expecting the typical Oval pitch, which is "you get 600, we'll get 600, then we can faff about on day 5." There's something in it for the bowlers, but it's no minefield.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
15 wickets in a day? Far too many, though it makes for enjoyable cricket so that isn't my complaint.

My issue is with massive footholes on day 1, not good enough really. I wouldn't be too surprised if the ICC get involved and investigate, because the pitch is very close to being rated "poor."

Users who are viewing this thread