A bat-pad catch, snick to slip and a perfect day of Test Cricket

So if the AI is giving away wickets too cheaply, and hence its scores are too low, if your bowlers are made to bowl faster then logically the AI batsmen will score even less.

So by upping the bowling speeds (at least reducing the declining gradient) will need to be compensated for by stronger/smarter batting.

The speeds start high, the issue is that bowlers like Johnson start at 150kmph and drop to <125kmph within 6 overs and even further after that, without bouncing back much between sessions and particularly between days. Fatigue should play a role, but not taking to your bowlers like 40 years from Father Time.

The key issue with the AI seems to be how they go about building an innings. They just throw the bat around too much. The number of batsmen I've seen out bowled with their bat over their shoulders (as the replays show little more than the bails coming off) is comical. With this often happening in their first over or so as well, it's beyond belief at times. What they need is more sensible batting. I have a suspicion that at some point they limited the number of edges the AI was giving away to try and help them (hence huge numbers of play and misses and minimal numbers of edges, the seemingly middle or miss nature of the AI), but that's just speculation.

They will need to take on board a lot of the discussion coming out of us playing the game in order to take stock and fix the AI to actually play and be dismissed in a more reasonable fashion.

This mentioned, they have said that any changes to such balance would be done carefully and with due time taken, and I trust they'll get it spot on when they do.

The speeds start high, the issue is that bowlers like Johnson start at 150kmph and drop to <125kmph within 6 overs and even further after that, without bouncing back much between sessions and particularly between days. Fatigue should play a role, but not taking to your bowlers like 40 years from Father Time.

The key issue with the AI seems to be how they go about building an innings. They just throw the bat around too much. The number of batsmen I've seen out bowled with their bat over their shoulders (as the replays show little more than the bails coming off) is comical. With this often happening in their first over or so as well, it's beyond belief at times. What they need is more sensible batting. I have a suspicion that at some point they limited the number of edges the AI was giving away to try and help them (hence huge numbers of play and misses and minimal numbers of edges, the seemingly middle or miss nature of the AI), but that's just speculation.

They will need to take on board a lot of the discussion coming out of us playing the game in order to take stock and fix the AI to actually play and be dismissed in a more reasonable fashion.

This mentioned, they have said that any changes to such balance would be done carefully and with due time taken, and I trust they'll get it spot on when they do.

Just got bundled for 80 on veteran so going to load up and give it a another crack! Better than previous goes ha!

What level you referring to AI batting? I found them during that innings very sensible and built the innings quite realistically.

I think the main issue is when you bowl a bad ball and in their attempt to punish you they get out. However i bowled maiden after maiden where they just carefully defended and left me alone!

Just got bundled for 80 on veteran so going to load up and give it a another crack! Better than previous goes ha!

What level you referring to AI batting? I found them during that innings very sensible and built the innings quite realistically.

I think the main issue is when you bowl a bad ball and in their attempt to punish you they get out. However i bowled maiden after maiden where they just carefully defended and left me alone!

That would explain why AI doesn't score heavily against me, coz I bowl lot of cr@p and am generally all over the shop. Maybe AI is not used to facing every delivery being so *unique :D

One thing I've seen is that AI is especially poor against spinners, and if you bowl short and wide on or outside off with a 3rd man, point and deep cover, AI will edge behind a lot or will pop up the ball to point or deep cover.

*rubbish

----------

How are you finding the best way to get edges is? I've been bowling outswingers just outside off but from the video it looks like you are pitching them up and a bit wide of off getting them to drive?

Best way to get an edge is for spinners to bowl short outside off and AI batsman will edge one behind eventually. Against pacers, I wasn't able to find any specific wy to get an edge. I got an edge when I bowled a bouncer and the AI batsman tried to hook it and edged it to the wk - that looked awesome. Got another edge with a seaming delivery off good length and it was more of a regulation ede to wk. I haven't had much success bowling outswingers as AI generally plays and misses without edging. However you do get more bowleds this way when you bowl outswinger on the leg, batsman misses and the ball hits off/middle. Length has to be slightly fuller on good length else the ball will pass over the stumps.

That would explain why AI doesn't score heavily against me, coz I bowl lot of cr@p and am generally all over the shop. Maybe AI is not used to facing every delivery being so *unique :D

One thing I've seen is that AI is especially poor against spinners, and if you bowl short and wide on or outside off with a 3rd man, point and deep cover, AI will edge behind a lot or will pop up the ball to point or deep cover.

*rubbish

----------

Best way to get an edge is for spinners to bowl short outside off and AI batsman will edge one behind eventually. Against pacers, I wasn't able to find any specific wy to get an edge. I got an edge when I bowled a bouncer and the AI batsman tried to hook it and edged it to the wk - that looked awesome. Got another edge with a seaming delivery off good length and it was more of a regulation ede to wk. I haven't had much success bowling outswingers as AI generally plays and misses without edging. However you do get more bowleds this way when you bowl outswinger on the leg, batsman misses and the ball hits off/middle. Length has to be slightly fuller on good length else the ball will pass over the stumps.

Your spot on, almost the worse you bowl the more reckless they bat! I generally bowled pretty tight, spinners offered no width etc.

Im 11/0 after 4 in my batting attempt, im using bowling cam to bat, some reason im finding picking up length easier.

What i will say tho is the AI field placement is shocking!

Your spot on, almost the worse you bowl the more reckless they bat! I generally bowled pretty tight, spinners offered no width etc.

Im 11/0 after 4 in my batting attempt, im using bowling cam to bat, some reason im finding picking up length easier.

What i will say tho is the AI field placement is shocking!

I know exactly what you mean. I played a Test yesterday (simulated AI's innings) and was 251 runs behind after the 1st innings and when AI opened the bowling in my 2nd innings they barely had a fielder in the circle!!! They had long on, long off, deep cover, deep square leg, fine leg and 3rd man.

On the AI batting front, I guess AI batting needs to be tightened against the loose stuff. Yes, you do lose a wkt occasionally trying to punish a poor delivery but it shouldn't happen to the extent it's happening with AI. Maybe Big Ant focused so much on testing AI against good bowling, they missed out testing against pies that we end up offering on a regular basis :p

Last edited:
I think if the pace bowling was tweaked so that the quicks only lose about 5mph over 6-8 overs, that would definitely help, because they will get more edges and chances against them but they will be able to use the pace of the ball.

Bounce needs to be somewhat tweaked - again, sorry if this has been mentioned but too many balls off a good to fullish length are going over the stumps.

I think if the pace bowling was tweaked so that the quicks only lose about 5mph over 6-8 overs, that would definitely help, because they will get more edges and chances against them but they will be able to use the pace of the ball.

Bounce needs to be somewhat tweaked - again, sorry if this has been mentioned but too many balls off a good to fullish length are going over the stumps.

That's true. You have to bowl full length deliveries to bowl batsmen, but in rare cases a good length delivery (X selection on ps3) if delivered a bit early (fuller length) hits the top of stumps as well.

That's true. You have to bowl full length deliveries to bowl batsmen, but in rare cases a good length delivery (X selection on ps3) if delivered a bit early (fuller length) hits the top of stumps as well.

Veteran batting is a joke, i just cant do it ha!

Veteran batting is a joke, i just cant do it ha!

It gets even better on Legend. Your footwork has to be so precise that you have to specify up & left, up, or up & right on the left stick for front foot shots. For example if you want to play a delivery outside off and yo haven't moved your foot up & right, you will miss the delivery. What makes it worse is that even a slight mistake on your part - a slip of your thumb or an accidental twitch on the left stick in an unintended direction - and you are gone.

Edit: Definitely the best batting simulator I've seen and should keep cricket gaming fans hooked for a long time.

It gets even better on Legend. Your footwork has to be so precise that you have to specify up & left, up, or up & right on the left stick for front foot shots. For example if you want to play a delivery outside off and yo haven't moved your foot up & right, you will miss the delivery. What makes it worse is that even a slight mistake on your part - a slip of your thumb or an accidental twitch on the left stick in an unintended direction - and you are gone.

Edit: Definitely the best batting simulator I've seen and should keep cricket gaming fans hooked for a long time.

Agreed, i would wonder tho, is it even possible to get better? Your reactions surely would never be quick enough! Its so unforgiving. Wish you could have different difficulties for each discipline. Bowling on vet was so fun, but batting making me wanna scream!

Agreed, i would wonder tho, is it even possible to get better? Your reactions surely would never be quick enough! Its so unforgiving. Wish you could have different difficulties for each discipline. Bowling on vet was so fun, but batting making me wanna scream!
If you're playing competition mode you can change difficulty for batting & bowling between innings. Save and exit, change difficulty before pressing 'ready' and it's done :)

If you're playing competition mode you can change difficulty for batting & bowling between innings. Save and exit, change difficulty before pressing 'ready' and it's done :)

You sure?? Change the difficulty where? I thought it was locked in when you select the difficulty in the game set up?

Im
Playing casual, work for that?

You sure?? Change the difficulty where? I thought it was locked in when you select the difficulty in the game set up?

Im
Playing casual, work for that?
I've only played in competition mode so far, doing a 5 match test series. Between each innings I save, then load/resume, press square to change settings/difficulty before pressing 'ready', and carry on playing. Works a treat!

I've only played in competition mode so far, doing a 5 match test series. Between each innings I save, then load/resume, press square to change settings/difficulty before pressing 'ready', and carry on playing. Works a treat!

You my man are a legend! Veteran bowling is quality atm but i am no where near veteran batting so this wud be perfect!

I've found that this is on average where the ends up on bouncy English pitches that I'm playing on, when bowling at a good length, which I think is realistic. I'd be interested to see how that plays out in the subcontinent.

20140412_1638161_zpsb71c1b61.jpg

----------

Also, the seam representation out of the bowler's hand is the best I've ever seen in a cricket game. And it definitely varies based on how you use the LS.

Users who are viewing this thread