MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've poked around with this kind of thing in the past - and I'm sure there's other things that need tweaking - especially the scorecards in the menus, but to perhaps start a discussion on these things, a few early suggestions. Fonts are a bit off because I couldn't find the exact ones, not because it's a suggestion to change fonts.

ball-numbering.jpg
First, a very simply one - number the deliveries - they are colour coded without the colours being explained.

bowler-select.jpg
Expand the bowler selection screen (ignore the badly cut up image it's sitting on). This would show basic stats about the bowlers while you select through them - so you could choose to put on the most economical bowler - or the one with the least fatigue (the display down the bottom would change as you cycle through.

The top one would be a fixed one showing your current bowler - for comparison.

Not shown would be another suggestion - just grey out players who have reached the overs quota.

match-conditions.jpg
Add basic weather/conditions information to the 'Live from' display. I just noticed I didn't include something like 'Day 1' on it.

A few additional displays I'd like would be swapping the 'overs' for a runs required\balls remaining display full time during the last few overs of a limited overs match. And one for the overs remaining in a match. Thumbnails...
overs-rem.jpg balls.jpg

field-select.jpg
A functional change more than a graphical one - two additions.

An 'Edit' button - that would take the selected field and put it as editable in the 'fielding positions' screen. A lot of the time you want to select a preset and make a minor adjustment of a few fielders - this results normally in two cut scenes of the field change, and a lot of time wasted (especially while online).

Apply to both batsmen is self explanatory - it's select but for both batsmen, so you're not making major changes twice an over.

The 'cancel' text is wrong.

field-position.jpg
And finally for now - a minor suggestion for the field positions editor - a quick save/load. As I imagine you couldn't implement saving field settings while the match is ongoing (though by all means do it if you can) - a save button would keep that current field in memory - which could then be restored. A possible way of making it quick to apply the same custom settings to multiple bowlers.

The 'cancel' text should be 'Apply' or 'Exit', there would probably also need to be a clear button (LB?)

Anyone else have other ideas and suggestions? Comments?

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good points Matt I think all of these additions would improve the game.

I would also like to see the pitch and outfield conditions displayed along the bottom at the start of the match like you've shown the weather. ie damp soft green wicket, slow outfield. At the moment it is difficult to pick up the conditions through the commentary at the toss and if it is displayed you'll get a better feel on how each of the pitch types plays making them more relevant.

Although thinking about this and I know I'm going slightly off topic from the HUD discussion, but ideally it would better if you knew the pitch conditions prior to picking you're starting lineup through some sort of squad selection screen with player stats and form indicators like PES but that is probably more a new feature for a new version of the game.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
But another addition I would like to have is the catching ability and running ability to be shown on the side in the field selection screen, for better catching players placed in catching positions and better runners on the boundary...

grkrama

National Board President
Fantastic suggestions matt, I would also like a sort of favorites Group in the field option, So that i can store my most used/created fields in that list instead of having to scroll through whole list of field each time, this will be a great time saver.

Once you recognize your play-style you are going to lock on a few fields that you are going to use regularly, so having them as a list will make it easy to shuffle around with fields.

vinit85

Club Captain
Ya, such kind of improvement will definitely make the game better...
Keep it up...:thumbs

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Fantastic suggestions matt, I would also like a sort of favorites Group in the field option, So that i can store my most used/created fields in that list instead of having to scroll through whole list of field each time, this will be a great time saver.

Once you recognize your play-style you are going to lock on a few fields that you are going to use regularly, so having them as a list will make it easy to shuffle around with fields.
Oh yeah, certainly something I'd want to see.

The main menu field editor needs a lot of work as well - mouse support would help a bit, but an option to make a field based on another field would be ideal - as again, the main changes I make are moving one or two fielders from the defaults.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
mouse support would help a bit

You will need a controller to play the game.

These are ace suggestions. I'd make it so Confidence and Fatigue on the bowlers data show on their lozenge, rather than at the bottom when scrolling. No reason that box couldn't be bigger, and it would make more sense functionally?

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Yes yes yes!!!! This looks excellent! and the apply to both batsmen is a must... Very frustrating having to repeat the field every time. Great work Matt :thumbs

rishabh96

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Looks spectacular. :clap
Is there any way to calculate number of fours and sixes for each batsman?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Aren't the balls colour coded to show which bowl was which? So ball 1 is ball, 2 is blue etc. This needs improvements as it shows last 6 or first 6 (Forgot which one) deliveries instead of including all deliveries + wides. I would like more info for partnerships and batting milestones such as 4s, 6s, wagon wheel that comes up with 50 partnership, each batsmen's contribution to the partnership. I would also like to be able to customize the bowling view from your screen and also when a batsmen walks on so I can see a batsmen strike rate in limited overs but see time at crease for First Class. Also I would like the batsmen's stats comes up in different ways, here is my favorite (Couldnt find the right one but with this format)

0.jpg

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
These are ace suggestions. I'd make it so Confidence and Fatigue on the bowlers data show on their lozenge, rather than at the bottom when scrolling. No reason that box couldn't be bigger, and it would make more sense functionally?
Could go the whole way and make it a full screen thing with all of the bowlers, with some match information to make the screen more useful.
cricket14 2014-05-21 22-05-07-252.jpg

Aren't the balls colour coded to show which bowl was which? So ball 1 is ball, 2 is blue etc.
Yes, they are colour coded, but in reverse order, so if you view the chart at different points in an over the same ball will be a different colour. The colour code in the image isn't accurate though, but someone did post it once.

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
I would like more info for partnerships and batting milestones

It's not part of the HUD/Menu stuff, but I'd in general love more statistical analysis that you could see between matches. What's your best batting partnership? Who was it with? Who was it against? Which batsman have you scored more runs with than any other? What's your most effective bowling partnership? What's your most common type of wicket and how many times have you had it? Is there a particular teammate who's taken the most catches off your bowling in a particular position, and if so, how many times, etc, etc, etc.

Plenty more things that could go in the Career menu stats page, but yeah, in terms of the pause menu mid match, I'd love to see more details on each batting partnership, how long they were at the crease, how many runs were scored, what part of the pitch, who contributed most, how man overs were passed, etc. Also more info on run rate, as in a 100 over innings, overall run rate isn't that crucial to know. How about run rate in the past 10 overs, past 20 overs, etc, or even just the option to view a graph like this.

vlcsnap-1948336_2586254a.jpg

Plus everything MattW has already said, particularly with regard to setting fields. Someone please make this happen, haha!

I'd also like to be able to view the hot spot replays from the pause menu, as they're there when you challenge, it would be nice to see in other formats to check post-delivery. Also agree with whoever mentioned having details about fielder's catching attributes when setting the field.

Last edited:

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Agree 100 % Mattw . Maybe the option to globally apply the fielding changes to be "fixed" for any batsmen/bowler , until the user wishes to change it.

AnkitC

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've noticed a thing regarding HUD i.e. Once the Total Number of Overs is revised due to rain. Nowhere could I find the revised number of overs. If you miss it while it is shown initially it becomes very difficult to pace the innings because you don't know when the innings will end.

I couldn't find it anywhere, so please correct me if I'm wrong and it is present.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've noticed a thing regarding HUD i.e. Once the Total Number of Overs is revised due to rain. Nowhere could I find the revised number of overs. If you miss it while it is shown initially it becomes very difficult to pace the innings because you don't know when the innings will end.

I couldn't find it anywhere, so please correct me if I'm wrong and it is present.
You're not wrong, would be another good use for the 'overs remaining' display I suggest in the first post, if they couldn't fit the more traditional bracketed number next to the over count.

Users who are viewing this thread