A Journey with Indian Railways- "The 8500ing" .

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
34obt4x.jpg
Hello all, I'm writing down a story, based on a person called "Prithvi", who has great love towards Indian railways and is one of the biggest Indian Rail fan. He has a strong desire to work in a big post of railway department and go on tours in the train he likes. He gets his dream come true, when Indian Railway announces a new post in Indian railways, for which he is eligible. The rest of the story is all about how he's gonna proceed in his life with Indian railways.

This story deals with how the crew of railway work and what are the problems they face, while undergoing the journey. The way they solve problems by taking quick decisions. In brief, its a rail journey, viewed in z-axis, as everyone who travels in train just comes to see only x & y axes of their journey.

If I directly put in terms like "Rajdhani Express", "Duronto Express" etc., no one will understand what is going on. So firstly, I'd like to introduce the Indian Railway system to you all, before starting the story, cause many here dunno what actually is Indian Railways. Brief information about it can make everyone understand the story perfectly.

I hope you all will enjoy this story. I'd not like to see people not peeping in with useless/harsh comments, if they don't like this one. Any constructive criticism is encouraged. And kindly avoid sarcasm in this thread.

Index:
i- Introduction to Indian Railways part 1
ii- Introduction to Indian Railways part 2

Chapter 1: It all started off like this.
Chapter 2.1: The last rail-fanning trip Part 1.
Chapter 2.2: The last rail-fanning trip part 2 (Traveling in fastest train).
Chapter 2.3 and 3: The last rail-fanning trip part 3 & The Big day.
Chapter 4.1: The 8500ing Part 1.

Cheers and Peace,
Binnu.​

Last edited:

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
2useljk.jpg
Indian Railways, abbreviated as IR, is the state-owned railway company of India, which owns and operates most of the country's rail transport. It is overseen by the Ministry of Railways of the Government of India. It is said that Indian Railways is world's largest commercial employers, by employing more than 1.6 millions employees. Its the fourth largest railway network, after USA, Russia and China. Indian Railway owns around 200k freight wagons, 50k coaches and 8k locomotives.

All the diesel locomotives are manufactured at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, whereas all the electrical locomotives are manufactured at Chittaranjan, West Bengal. Wide range of locomotives are available to haul. The assignment of a locomotive to a particular rake mainly depends on the number of gradients in the route and the number of intermediate stoppages. Few important locomotive models, which are widely seen are:
1) WDM- 3A
2) WDP- 3A
3)WAP- 7
4) WAP-4
5) WAG-9
Here, the following is the legend for the ters W, D, A P M etc etc..

The first letter (gauge)
W-Indian broad gauge
Y-metre gauge
Z-narrow gauge(2.5 ft)
N-narrow gauge (2 ft)

The second letter (motive power)
D-Diesel
C-DC electric (can run under DC traction only)
A-AC electric (can run under AC traction only)
CA-Both DC and AC (can run under both AC and DC tractions), 'CA' is considered a single letter
B-Battery electric locomotive (rare)

The third letter (job type)
G-goods
P-passenger
M-mixed; both goods and passenger
S-Used for shunting (Also known as switching engines or switchers in United states and some other countries)
U-Electric multiple units (used as commuters in city suburbs)
R-Railcars

Regarding classification of trains, the Indian trains can be widely classified into 8.
(The one with highest priority first)
1) Rajdhani Express Trains:
bimbk7.jpg
Rajdhani Express Trains are one of the greatest train of all the trains. They connect a state capital/Important city to the Indian Capital, New Delhi. The Term Rajdhani means "capital" in Hindi. These trains moves with high speed, averaging about 70-90 KM/H range. Its a completely Air conditioned train.

2) Shatabdi Express Trains:
2ahulw8.jpg
Shatabdi Express Trains are similar one to Rajdhani express trains, where Rajdhani connects cities to Indian capital, whereas Shatabdi connects two important cities, less then 700 KM. The reason behind maximum distance being 700 KM is it has to make to and fro journey in the same day. Bhopal Shatabdi Express, which connects New Delhi and Bhopal is the fastest train of India, as it covers around 701 KM's in 7 hours of time, with an average speed of 100 and maximum speed of 161KM/H in Delhi- Agra Stretch. Average speed of these trains is around 70-100 KM/H. Its a completely air conditioned train.

2a) Jan Shatabdi Express Trains:
Jan Shatabdi Express Trains are similar ones to Shatabdi express trains. The only difference between Shatabdi and Jan Shatabdi is Jan Shatabdi consists of Non AC Coaches, whereas Shatabdi is completely air conditioned.

3) Duronto Express Trains:
qzjcpz.jpg
Duronto Express Trains are set of newly introduced trains, which are non stop point to point trains. These trains halt for uploading food, and crew change at few points, which are known as technical halts. Indian second fastest train, Sealdah (Kolkata) New Delhi Duronto is the first Duronto Express, flagged off by Railway Minister, Mrs. Mamata Banerjee. There are about 40 Duronto's till date. These trains travel randomly, there is no distance restrictions. Few trains do to and fro, whereas few take around 41 hours to reach its destination. Few Durontos are Fully Air conditioned, whereas some have non AC coaches. The word "Duronto" (Bengali word) means "Turant" in Hindi and "Quick" in English.

4) Garib Rath (Poor man's Chariot) Express Trains:
2mcukgk.jpg
Garib Rath is termed as one of the greatest ever revolution in Indian railways, as these are the fully air conditioned trains, with subsidized rates. They travel at good speeds. Although its one of the greatest revolution in Indian railways, only few of these are successful are run with overflowing Capacity. The one of them being Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam Garib Rath, which is the first one to run daily.

5) Superfast Express/Mail:
20uwilh.jpg
These are the most commonly seen trains in India. They connect two major cities, and have intermediate stoppages at few important stations. The cost of these trains is about 20 Rupees more than normal Express trains, which is collected as Superfast charges. They travel at around 60KM/H.

6)Express Trains:
2131x7o.jpg
These are similar to Superfast Express Trains. The only difference in these being these stop at every important station. They travel at an average speed of 50 KM/H.

7)Sampark Kranti Express Trains:
20uwilh.jpg
These are the trains, which were introduced to reduce the stoppages at intermediate stations and reach destination at a quicker time. But, the then ministry decided to make the few intermediate stoppages as Commercial stoppages, which is the only difference between Duronto and Sampark Kranti.
The word "Sampark Kranti" means "Message Carrier". Mostly, many trains connect various cities to New Delhi, which means its another Rajdhani Express, with Non AC Facility in disguise. Only Train, that too which halts at Delhi as Intermediate Stoppage is "Kerala Sampark Kranti", which goes to Chandighar.

8) Passenger Trains:
2131x7o.jpg
There are the trains, which stop at every station. All the coaches will be unreserved ones.

More to follow soon..​

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
2useljk.jpg
Classes and Coach Types:

There are about 7 classes in the trains, which are overnight services. They are (1) First AC, (2) Two Tire AC, (3) Three Tire AC, (4) Three Tire AC Economy, (5) Sleeper Class, (6) General/Unreserved, and (7) First Class (which is no more in use).

First AC Coach can accommodate 28 people, with Second AC Coach having capacity of 46. Three Tire AC coach can accommodate 64 people and three tire AC Economy can accommodate 81 people. Sleeper Class of an ICF coach can accommodate 72 people, whereas the Sleeper Class of the new LHB coach (currently being used only in Durontos and Shalimar Express) can accommodate 80 people.

Coming to day journey trains, two classes are widely used. One being the AC Chair Car, the other is Second Sitting compartments. AC Chair cars can accommodate 64 passengers to sit, whereas Non AC Second Sitting offers accommodation of 105 passengers. The Executive Chair Car, which is present in all Shatabdi's and couple of Duronto's are the ones, which provides more comfort. They can accommodate about 46 people.

The old rakes shaped at Integral Coach Factory (ICF) , Perambur, Chennai, are being replaced with new German made Linke Hofmann Bosche (LHB) coaches. All the Northern Rajdhani's, all the Shatabdi's and most of Durontos are LHB raked ones. The South Indian Rajdhani's were scheduled to get LHB rakes till now, but the new coaches, which were to be given to South Indian Rajdhani's, have been allotted to Duronto's.

Rake Compositions:
The following are the general rake compositions:
Rajdhani Express:
Two generator cars cum parcel van at either ends(Even Guard has his cabin in that compartment).
One First AC Coach.
Four to six Second AC Coaches.
Eight Three tire AC Coaches.
One Dining Coach, which is only for First AC People.
And one Pantry car.

Shatabdi Express:
Two generator cars cum parcel van at either ends(Even Guard has his cabin in that coach).
One First AC Coach (Executive AC Chair Car).
Eight to ten AC Chair cars.
And one Pantry car.

Duronto Express:
Non AC:
Two parcel vans at either end (Even guard has his cabin in that coach).
Seven LHB Sleeper Class Coaches.
Three- Three tire AC Coaches.
One Two tire AC Coach.
One First AC Coach.
And one Pantry Car.

AC:
Two generator cars cum parcel van at either ends(Even Guard has his cabin in that compartment).
One First AC Coach.
Four to six Second AC Coaches.
Eight Three tire AC Coaches.
And one Pantry car.

Garib Rath Express:
And 9-16 Third AC Economy Coaches.

Superfast Express/Express Trains having overnight journey:
Two to four unreserved coaches.
Eight to Twelve ICF Sleeper Class Coaches.
Three-Four Three tire AC Coaches.
One Two tire AC Coach.
One First AC Coach (Only in Super fast express).
And one Pantry Car (not in all).

Superfast Express/Express Trains having day journey:
Two to four unreserved coaches.
Eight to Twelve ICF Second Sitting Coaches.
One Ac Chair Coach.
And one Pantry Car.

Passenger Trains:
Eight to twelve unreserved coaches.

More to follow soon..​

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This is an excellent story Binnu. The presentation is brilliant, hats off to you mate.

Gorro_124

Club Captain
You know so much about railways! I had not even heard of Duronto Express! Your story seems to be interesting, educative and "amazing" as others said! KIU and good luck for future updates! Will follow this one!

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I've decided to start this story without any delay. I'll explain the critical Indian terms, by using break point system while the story is going on. :)
Thankyou for all your positive comments so far :cheers.

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
A small important thing, which one should know is railway zones and divisions. See the zones and divisions here.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Nice to hear that. And to be honest, that PDF is too complicated for me. Just cannot understand anything out of it! :p

BTW, we guys are eagerly waiting for the updates to follow here. :)

Cheers

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
2m2up9x.jpg
It was November, when I came across an advertisement in the Deccan Chronicle about the recruitment of graduates by South Central Railway. It was a off season recruitment, as Indian Railways was experimenting few new posts in Indian railways, for which people holding a degree B.Tech are eligible. I was eligible for "Junior Train Captain". I immediately applied for it and within short time, I wrote an examination, which they conducted. I was bit nervous of result, but thankfully, I crossed the cut off mark. I was called for the interview, where I expressed my desire to work in Indian railways. They selected me, after coming to know my knowledge on Indian Railways and the interest I had in the job. They said that we had a 3 month training camp, which was to start on 15th December, 2010.

They spoke out the agenda of the training camp, which stated that we were to travel for a week and give report on that travel and write couple of examinations regarding what all we've learnt in the due course of the journey. The people who attended the exam were just 300 and the people who got selected were 60 in number, of which, one was my friend in B. Tech.

Few Weeks later

We were given the point to point agenda for the first couple of weeks by a 3 paged letter. We were to travel about 8500 KMs. We were scheduled to be given a 3-tire AC Coach and augment that coach to the train in which we travel.

The second page of the letter, which has all the journey details:

15th December, 2010 (Wednesday): The coach will come along with the rake of Visakhapatnam- Lokamanya Tilak Terminus Super Fast Express, from Visakhapatnam. You'll have to take your places at Secunderabad Junction at 21:00.

16th December, 2010 (Thursday): The train will be reaching LTT by 11:00. Your coach will be sent to Panvel with the help of Suburban services. It'll be augmented with the Trivandrum Rajdhani.

17th December, 2010 (Friday): Your journey with Trivandrum Rajdhani Ends at Hazarat Nizamuddin station. The coach will be taken to New Delhi railway station with the help of a engine. You'll be augmented with Sealdah Rajdhani Express.

18th December, 2010 (Saturday): Sealdah Rajdhani will reach its termination point Sealdah (Kolkata) by 10:15. With the help of the shunting engine, you'll be taken to Howrah and your coach gets augmented with the Howrah Yeshwantpur Duronto Express.

19th December, 2010 (Sunday): You'll reach Yeshwantpur and you'll have a visit to Krishnarajapuram Disel loco shed.

20th December, 2010 (Monday): Your coach gets augmented to Bangalore City- Chennai Central Shatabdi Express. After you reach Chennai Central by 11:00 hours, you'll be augmented with the Chennai- Trivandrum Superfast Express at around 14:00 hours.

21st December, 2010 (Tuesday): Your coach detaches with the rake of Chennai-Trivandrum express at Kollam in early hours. Your coach gets augmented to the Trivandrum-Hyderabad Sabari Express at 08:15 hours.

22nd Decmeber, 2010 (Wednesday): Your coach will reach Secunderabad by 12:00 hours.

I was pretty excited to have one full week of journey in AC class and that too, for free! Many thoughts were going through my mind regarding the journey! "Sealdah Rajdhani.... Bangalore Chennai Shatabdi...." my mind was going crazy about these two things! One crazy hope what I had in my mind was that our coach should be a new LHB one. LHB coaches provide more comfort and latest on board equipment.

I got perfectly ready by 12th December (Sunday), as 13 was considered to be a unlucky number in this world, and 14 being Tuesday, which ain't a auspicious day in my view.

Stay tuned, to experience my journey....​

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Wow, so lucky.:p

Amazing update. Keep the train running!KIU.

Users who are viewing this thread