A New Idea for Patch makers like Prakash and others

blalock taussig

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, I've played C2004 with lots of patches and it certainly does improve the gameplay, I was trying to figure out exactly what do the edge modifiers change and how much does each parameter affect the number of edges.

I am getting lots of conflicting results and it is taking lots of time, I'll get back to you guys as soon as I make some progress.

One thing that I think is missing in C2004 is the lack of finetuning aggression or game strategies for different conditions.

here is a nice tip, you can change a lot of the CPU batting strategies by shifting the stroke editor shots type. Shots like leg glances are classified as defensive shots, while straight drives are moderate shots. If you add things like the sweep and paddle sweep to the defensive shot list then the CPU starts playing a lot more of these shots very early in the innings.

Also I feel that for a given edge modifier value there is a great variation in the number of edges on green tops as compared to hard pitches. ( this is one of the things I am trying to get around, but no solution is in sight)
A lot of people have suggested that this is controlled with the edge bias value in the config files. But I am quite certain that it is NOT so.

I have done a small statistic analysis over 10 matches on a hard pitch and a green pitch with the bat edge bias on 0.000001 and 0.999999, but the average number of edges for both values is almost same. The minor difference is NOT statistically significant so we can safely assume that the edge bias parameter does NOT control this feature.

Sorry for rambling on and on but here is an alternative way to get around the situation.

Is it possible for prakash and Barmy and sam to actually get their config editor and field editor to work while the game is going on ????

If this can be done then what we can do is have different config files with high edge modifier values for the hard pitches and low edge modifier values for green tops, and all the player has to do is load the relevant patch after finding out the type of the pitch.

Also we can have a more aggressive config patch to be used for the four day frizell matches and a standard one for the five dayers. Also I think form what little cricket Ive played a team will always be more aggresive on a flat and hard pitch where the ball is coming on to the bat nicely then say a dusty or a green pitch. So again having different patches for different pitches will also allow us to change aggression levels.

If we can get the field editor to load between overs it also would be great, becauase even if we set our ouwn default fields there are frequent situations specially in the close finishes where we would like to tweak a praticular fielders position. Right now What I do is save the match, exit, load the field editor change the fielder and then replay the game again ???

SO .... Guys specially prakash and sam is it possible to do this,
If so PLEASE PLEASE try and do us a favor......
I think it will really improve the finer points of the game.

Prakash

Executive member
I am sure that whenever you change a field it direclty reads from the gob, so just alt-tab and edit the fields. After saving the field just re-select them again, so that it loads them from the gob. Also would it be better if you use the custom fields ?.

And as far as the configs is concerned I think you quit and reload the saved game.

blalock taussig

School Cricketer
I Don't think you got the point I was making. Lets say we have made custom fields for a normal or hard pitch. And then a match is scheduled to be played on a green pitch.
On a hard pitch Id probably have had 2 slips and a gully , for a green pitch I would require at least 3 slips and a gully. So I have to play an over, save the game, exit, then change the fields and then play the saved game again.

What I have done is made a set of fields for each pitch type. using the custom fields kind of limits you to the prespecified field positions. Also there is a bug where you cannot set custom fields for leg spinners! it just uses the custom field of the offspinner !

But what about reloading the configs during a match( between overs ofcourse or just before the match has started)
can your config editor be started up while C 2004 is running? And if it can and a different config is loaded will the game follow the recently loaded config or still use the one loaded at the beginning of the game.

Imagine the possibilites of tweaking the gameplay this can afford us if it is possible. for example I can alter the angle that a bowler runs in to bowl so as to give a batsman lesser room to play on the offside. Or I can get a legspinner to bowl the deliveries from closer to the stumps thus getting a straighter line.

Right now I use different configs for differnet pitches and different games ( 4day/ 5 day) nad it is a pain to save the game after finding out the pitch type and then loading the coresponding config and then restarting the game.

For example my configs I use for a green pitch have increased difficulty and lesser rewards for all the cuts and cross batted shots and more rewards for the straight drives. That way on a green pitch the CPU plays more with a straight bat to avoid edges. On a hard pitch with hardly any seam movement the configs I use enable the CPU to play adventurous strokes like sweeps and reverse sweeps and pulls very early in the innings.

Hope you can help with the question.

Users who are viewing this thread