A nice change of topic

BONED!

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
To escape all this animated and stubborn arguing over the Australia-India issue, let's have a nice change of topic.

So who is looking forward to the Ashes in 2009?

What would be your ideal lineup for the opening match at Sophia Gardens in Cardiff?

For me (Australia) it would be:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques (provided he is on form for a test) [2nd choice Brad Hodge]
3. Ricky Ponting (C)
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Adam Gilchrist (VC)
8. Stuart MacGill (provided he is on form for a test) [2nd choice Brad Hogg]
9. Brett Lee
10. Stuart Clark
11. Shaun Tait

12th man = Shane Watson (provided he hasn't died from his numerous injuries yet)!

Last edited:
Pffft, the Ashes seems a little like any other tour now due to the new rivalry.

Honestly I mean no offense when I say this, .Mob, but The Ashes is more important to Australia than this current rivalry. Australia and England have been rivals for over a century.

I am sure there is something about India's cricket that Australia would not understand. Maybe your rivalry with pakistan is something we will not understand, because only the two countries involved can fully understand the depth of the rivalry, if you understand what I mean. Again, no offense meant.

Honestly I mean no offense when I say this, .Mob, but The Ashes is more important to Australia than this current rivalry. Australia and England have been rivals for over a century.

I am sure there is something about India's cricket that Australia would not understand. Maybe your rivalry with pakistan is something we will not understand, because only the two countries involved can fully understand the depth of the rivalry, if you understand what I mean. Again, no offense meant.

Ask Autralian team about this. Did you not see celebrations at the end of Sydney match.

Ask Autralian team about this. Did you not see celebrations at the end of Sydney match.

did you see the celebrations when Australia won the Ashes. Trust me, this whole test series will blow over, and Australia will once again be awaiting the Ashes and hopefully beating England again. To us, The Ashes is THE most prestigious event in cricket. Whilst every tournament holds its own meaning, the Ashes is by far the most important to Australia.

Like how Europens take the Fifa World Cup, or how the English take the Premier League.

ASHES 2009 is a long way away. If i where you i would have made this thread around the time of the series. But anyway who cares, who thinks gilly will retire after the series.

Nope, I think Gilly will stay until the end of the next ashes and then retire, just like Warne and McGrath did.

ASHES 2009 is a long way away. If i where you i would have made this thread around the time of the series. But anyway who cares, who thinks gilly will retire after the series.

As i said earlier, till the time he drops catches and does not make runs he can be in Australian side.:p

To escape all this animated and stubborn arguing over the Australia-India issue, let's have a nice change of topic.

So who is looking forward to the Ashes in 2009?

What would be your ideal lineup for the opening match at Sophia Gardens in Cardiff?

For me (Australia) it would be:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Phil Jaques (provided he is on form for a test) [2nd choice Brad Hodge]
3. Ricky Ponting (C)
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Adam Gilchrist (VC)
8. Stuart MacGill (provided he is on form for a test) [2nd choice Brad Hogg]
9. Brett Lee
10. Stuart Clark
11. Shaun Tait

12th man = Shane Watson (provided he hasn't died from his numerous injuries yet)!
I think I'll have no hair left is gilly is still in the side by then.

That's why I used the word seems, I know that rivalries like those won't be replaced, but heck this one's producing so much width between the teams.

I think I'll have no hair left is gilly is still in the side by then.

haha, then consider yourself prematurely bald. :D It seems the fashion that such high class Australian players retire after the completion of an Ashes series. Especially if we win again. And Gilly is still an agile thing, even in his medium age!

That's why I used the word seems, I know that rivalries like those won't be replaced, but heck this one's producing so much width between the teams.

I apologise. I miss-interpreted the tone of your comment! :D

Australia probably celebrated so much as they won the Test with a hat-trick right at the end of the last day.

The 1st Test can't be in Cardiff, surely, the 1st Test of a series is always at Lord's.

My team for the 1st Ashes test:

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Vaughan (c)
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Flintoff
7. Foster (wk)
8. Broad
9. Hoggard
10. Harmison
11. Panesar

Freddie would be a pure batsman by then.

I want it to be:
Cook
Vaughan (obviously Tres would walk staright in but it won't happen)
Bell
KP
Colly (MBE and he desevres it for what he did to them in the CBS :D)
Fred
Ambrose (+)
Broad
Hoggard
Anderson
Monty

It will be:
Cook
Vaughan/Strauss
Bell
KP
Colly
Fred/ Bell
Ambrose (+)
Harmy
Hoggy
Sidebum
Monty

I would give Fred a chance of playing if he doesn't rush it like he always does. Broad won't play and if he does then I doubt he'll have had enough cricket to bowl well, you never know though.

Users who are viewing this thread