OTHER AFL 23 game

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ashes 2013 anyone?
I remember how much Ross had to say about the Ashes 2013 debacle and how in his words the developer had committed fraud as they knew the game was unfit but had received the development money regardless...well, karma's a bitch and she wears high leather boots.

Last edited:

Harigoks

County Cricketer
"All the development of gameplay mechanics seem to have gone into the cointoss..." a favourite line up to now.

We will soon get the apologies and promises and the game will be lefy with gamebreaking bugs. It is unfortunately the established pattern now.

Ashes 2017 is their best game in my opinion and by reviews as well. Coincidentally it had the most extensive beta process involving members of this community of all their games.
Agree hands down. Ashes 17 is one of the finest title they ever released.

TharkiMan232

Club Captain
India
KKR
Profile Flag
India
AFL 23 could've been delayed for a week.+they needed to more test it.EA makes bta availabe months before to test the game and give hint.I am think what would've been the case when they released in april,they got much time to get it better.I know they are not big as EA,but they made far more better games

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Game is a lot better since last patch.Didn't crash was able to win rucks occasionally varied play from al.Certainly getting there.

mattk

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I remember how much Ross had to say about the Ashes 2013 debacle and how in his words the developer had committed fraud as they knew the game was unfit but had received the development money regardless...well, karma's a bitch and she wears high leather boots.
Big Ant as a company has changed from the one we fell in love with on the forums 10 years ago.

I think the perfect demonstration of this is its approach to player licensing and likeness. 10 years ago they didn't care at all because they trusted the community to be given the tools to create and share the players for ourselves. This meant Big Ant could take the time to put love and care into replicating the sport itself and getting the details right. DBC 14 remains to me the most lovingly created cricket game ever with the revolutionary controls, incredible customisation options in the Academy that covered countless eras//decades, and imo is the most beautiful sounding cricket game of all time with commentary off.

Now days the biggest back of the box feature for AFL 23 is over 1200 photo realistic face scanned players, and I've got no doubt the biggest back of the box feature for Cricket 24 is going to be IPL face scanned players. I'm sure it is the commercially better investment of Big Ant resources. Big Ant comes out ahead financially but at the cost of losing the core of its fanbase. Which I'm sure they're fine with if they can instead appeal to a market that is willing to buy the same game every two years with updated likenesses.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
Big Ant as a company has changed from the one we fell in love with on the forums 10 years ago.
Absolutely. It was a great time and a real camaraderie between the forum and the devs. That has all changed and whichever game they now release the protocol is the same: announce game, give very little insights into the game beforehand, delay the game, release the game broken and buggy, apologise, issue a stream of patches to bring the game up to a standard that it should have had even before release, crap on anyone who has any criticism or even constructive criticism, promise all kinds of things, abandon the game, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Amazing they stay in business.Have they ever launched a game in a decent state.I remember the ao tennis 1 debacle.Almost a carbon copy of afl 23

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Well there was a 2gb patch today and they have managed to break what little was working.Holding the ball is a total mess.The stats give the date jan 01 2077 and when you press Y to sort it just goes to the dressing room scene.
The kicking is broken as well.Crashed once just to add to the fun.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
Well there was a 2gb patch today and they have managed to break what little was working.Holding the ball is a total mess.The stats give the date jan 01 2077 and when you press Y to sort it just goes to the dressing room scene.
The kicking is broken as well.Crashed once just to add to the fun.
What.A.Mess.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Another day another patch.Game certainly more playable than yesterday but still not there yet.Seems to be pot luck if you take the mark or not.Didn't crash we are still in jan 2077 and holding the ball not totally sorted .Its like the game decides if it will be a penalty or not and you can't do anything even if in theory you can release the ball it doesn't let you

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Well something has happend now getting hammered even on easy level.Seems they are struggling to find the balance.I actually put in then on hardest level and there was no difference in the gameplay.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Another patch today that makes the game more playable though not perfect beginning to come together.Still too many players out of postion but not as bad as before.Plenty still missing like tactics or setting up the team for example.Haven't been able to win a game for 2 days now but that might be more about me than the game.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Think game is in a reasonable state now.Easiest level does what it should do and was enjoying it so didn't move up a level and also at week 22 not going to jepordize top 8 chances.Also it allows you play a bit as its quite frenetic if its not a mark or a shot you have very little time to something so playing on easiest gives you a bit more time.This is the game that should have been released a week ago.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
They have delivered a patch every day since its release i think .Game is certainly playable and decent.Just a shame for them that they couldn't release it like that.I think if they came out and said game is not quite ready you can buy now or wait a week until its good to go it would be a better stratergy.They don't learn though.I will buy the cricket game when it comes out just hope its finished properly and if it needs to be delayed so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread