Afridi announces 'retirement' from Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a little sad thou..
He will miss test against England & Asian Test Championship.. :(
Also Safrica & Windies..
But it would have been pleasure watching him in Asian Test Championship..
Hitting sixers at Bangla, Lanka & Indian bowlers in the subcontinent!! :crying

But also to mention that Afridi know's himself what is best for him!
And InshAllah this will turn out good for him, the pakistani team and the fan!! :happy

gambino said:
hopefully he will come back before india tour pakistan end of next year!!

AGAIN??? :eek:

Jeez, they never get sick & tired of that.. :rolleyes:

I think it is a sensible decision by him. He is an attacking batsman, and he should focus on that aspect of the game until after the World Cup. Remember, this is no permanent retirement, only temporary from what I've read at Cricinfo: "Shahid Afridi has announced a temporary `retirement' from Test cricket."

Having said that, I will miss the entertainment he so often provided in a very slow paced game (Test matches). =)

Last edited:
Hsn said:
I think it is a sensible decision by him. He is an attacking batsman, and he should focus on that aspect of the game until after the World Cup. Remember, this is no permanent retirement, only temporary from what I've read at Cricinfo: "Shahid Afridi has announced a temporary `retirement' from Test cricket."

Having said that, I will miss the entertainment he so often provided in a very slow paced game (Test matches). =)
I think your right mate, I totaly agree with you.

The problem is that when he makes himself availaible again for Test cricket if there will be a spot left for him. Newcomers in the team could establish themselves in the team, so there won't be maybe much chance for Afridi in the team.

For example Shoaib Malik was more an ODI player, but during the past year he established himself also as Test player. There is about almost 10-11 months left to the World Cup. In the mean time other players could establish themselves as well.

usy said:
No No NO, I gonne have to mail PCB now, this is wrong, that allrounder is just a Key for Pakistan in batting and bowling, This will surprise the whole Pakistani Cricket fans :(.

After discovering the legendary allrounder "Farhat" who needs afridi?

I didn't expect this, he is still young enough to play test cricket. Seems to be another case where the work load is too much on players.

barmyarmy2050 said:
i know some indians are praying for afrdi to retire from one day cricket as well

kumle and harbajhan must be dancing on inidan roads after they herd that afrdi got retire fromn test cricket ;)

You must be a Pakistani fan in disguise, otherwsie why would you say such a thing?

Indians are not afraid of a fluky player like Afridi, we defeated Pakistan 4-1 in Pakistan recently and Afridi was not able to do a thing.Kumble and Bhajji are legends of world cricket while Afridi is still a bits and pieces player.

Afridi retired from test cricket coz he realised that he's not upto the task.I thing he should retire from ODI too and just consentrate on 20 cup, that format of cricket is ideal for his childish game.

To be very honest it doesnt make much sense. I can understand a 34 or 35 year old retiring from one form to concentrate on the other form of the game. But how old is Afridi?

Also I do not agree with the fact that since he is an attacking player, he should focus on ODIs. If thats the case, players like Sehwag, Gilchrist, Pietersen and Kemp should also do the same. But have you seen Sehwag's form in ODIs lately? And how often has Gilchrist saved Australia with his attacking batting in test matches. Pietersen was crucial in England's Ashes win. Afridi too is an important player in the Pakistan test team, and can be extremely dangerous coming in at number 6.

Mixed feelings.

As a fan of subcontinent cricket I feel sad . I will miss his 4s and 6s.:crying:crying:crying

As a fan of Indian cricket , I feel happy. No one will now hit Bhajji 4 6s in a row.:happy:happy:happy

m_vaughan said:
To be very honest it doesnt make much sense. I can understand a 34 or 35 year old retiring from one form to concentrate on the other form of the game. But how old is Afridi?

Also I do not agree with the fact that since he is an attacking player, he should focus on ODIs. If thats the case, players like Sehwag, Gilchrist, Pietersen and Kemp should also do the same. But have you seen Sehwag's form in ODIs lately? And how often has Gilchrist saved Australia with his attacking batting in test matches. Pietersen was crucial in England's Ashes win. Afridi too is an important player in the Pakistan test team, and can be extremely dangerous coming in at number 6.

Very true, I highly doubt it has anything to do with his approach to batting, retiring from test cricket to focus on ODI cricket at 26 as a result of having an aggressive nature is one of the most far-fetched ideas I've ever heard. There has to be alot more to the situation than just that, he's now an integral part of the Pakisani setup and is, pretty plainly, a matchwinner. He's learning to think a little more about his game now, his shot selection is developing, yet he hasn't lost any of his natural direction in that process, which is the key part. His presence in the line-up would also give the side a massive boost, purely because of his ability.
All in all, pretty strange....

Well I mentioned on the last page that family was included as a reason. He has 2 daughters, and perhaps he just doesn't want to suffer from burn-out before what he will consider the pinacle of his career, the world cup in 2007. Cricket will still be around when he decides to return to test cricket, but he will not be able to rewind time and spend the time he missed with his daughters and family.

Oh okay, I hadn't read the first page, and I definitely didn't know he had two daughters. (That's not sarcastic by the way, I didn't know)
Then it's probably a personal decision, the life of a professional sportsman affects different people in different ways, some can cope with time away from their family and can deal with that pressure very well in their own performances, yet others don't want to miss that opportunity to watch their children's youth experiences I suppose.
And trust me, he won't suffer from burn-out, he's never at the crease for long enough :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread