AI Chase Capitulations...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Has anyone experienced anything remotely like this? This is the AI chasing in T20s, on AI Legend, bowling hardest.

It's very strange, since batting first there didn't seem to be such a weakness.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Never got this so far. Finished a T20 world cup competition on Hard vs Legend, on an average ai gets around 110 -120.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It's not as if AI are that great batting first as well. They follow the same pattern in all the matches, i.e. attack in the first 6 overs (powerplay ones) and then bat on the slower side through the rest of the overs irrespective of how many wkts they have in hand. The max AI scores in a T20 batting first is still around 150-160 range (I'm being charitable here) and most of the times you can restrict them below that. You get AI get scores like 150/4 with them making no effort whatsoever going after the bowling at the death. I've started simulating AI to get decent scores as you don't see them scoring a competitive total when you bowl against them with half decent fields.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@cricket_online @christy_lenin1 granted, there's weaknesses in the AI but this is extreme right? i am wondering if others have had anything on this scale or if i'm suffering ANOTHER logo anomaly?

the last game where the AI batted first they posted 141... then same difficulty I bowled them out for 26, 99 and 18 batting 2nd. on the 26 score (WI vs SA) the bowling attack was stronger than the batting lineup (not that much though!) but the other two the batting line up was rated higher than the bowling attack.

i'm trying really to establish if anyone has had anything like this level of collapse on high difficulty? i don't want to end up deleting all the logos for what would be the 6th time but at the moment it's pointing to that.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
@cricket_online @christy_lenin1 granted, there's weaknesses in the AI but this is extreme right? i am wondering if others have had anything on this scale or if i'm suffering ANOTHER logo anomaly?

the last game where the AI batted first they posted 141... then same difficulty I bowled them out for 26, 99 and 18 batting 2nd. on the 26 score (WI vs SA) the bowling attack was stronger than the batting lineup (not that much though!) but the other two the batting line up was rated higher than the bowling attack.

i'm trying really to establish if anyone has had anything like this level of collapse on high difficulty? i don't want to end up deleting all the logos for what would be the 6th time but at the moment it's pointing to that.

Personally I haven't seen the sort of capitulation you experienced but I've seen posts here which have mentioned AI getting bowled out for low scores while chasing so you definitely aren't alone. I'm in the same boat as @christy_lenin1 , i.e. the AI is not competitive at all and crawls to a lowish score without threatening the target.E.g., if I score 180 odd batting first, AI would crawl to 120 or 130 odd. Batting first, irrespective of the pitch it will score a very averagish total again ranging from 130-150 odd.

IMO the main reason AI has no concept of pacing an innings or how to chase or set up a target is coz AI can't comprehend the "overs remaining" and "wkts in hand" balance. AI plays the same way in a T20 if it's 140/2 or 140/8. Same with chasing a target. You won't see any difference in the approach whether AI is chasing 140 or 180. It will bat the same way and usually fail if the target is anything over a below average total of 130-140 range. The difficulty levels has no bearing on AI as I've experienced the ame results with 'PRO', 'VETERAN' and 'LEGEND' difficulty levels.

What exacerbates the problem is the poor AI fields (the OOB default ones) AI puts - the sort I've never seen in a real cricket match - and the very conservative running between the wkts by AI. AI consistently takes 1 run less (and occasionally 2) than what's on offer. AI refuses to take easy singles or takes only 1 one 2 or 3 could be had. This poor running between the wkts was patched in DBC 14 and yet it has made its way back in DBC 17. That's my main gripe so far, i.e. things that were addressed in DBC 14 via patches are somehow back in DBC 17.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
IMO the main reason AI has no concept of pacing an innings or how to chase or set up a target is coz AI can't comprehend the "overs remaining" and "wkts in hand" balance. AI plays the same way in a T20 if it's 140/2 or 140/8. Same with chasing a target. You won't see any difference in the approach whether AI is chasing 140 or 180. It will bat the same way and usually fail if the target is anything over a below average total of 130-140 range. The difficulty levels has no bearing on AI as I've experienced the ame results with 'PRO', 'VETERAN' and 'LEGEND' difficulty levels.

All you are describing is what has been noted about every cricket game since the beginning. Lack of AI match situational awareness.

Can only assume it must be a bugger to code

D

Deleted member 46200

All you are describing is what has been noted about every cricket game since the beginning. Lack of AI match situational awareness.

They have this in Fifa, it's called the Villa syndrome... Those poor people why do they sit there and take it.

But yes it must be a sod to programe I feel some other games have perfected it but the programming must be immense.

AnkitC

International Coach

Know what mate, I played a total of two T20 matches to realise the AI is as shite as ever. The same was the case with DBC 14, but it can be easily forgiven since it was the first game in the series. Apart from the Spin bowling mechanics there is nothing positive about this release. I had high hopes this time round since I've seen a thousand posts suggesting the need for AI improvements. But no, Big Ant with their extremely limited resources decides that investing in Women's Cricket, a new Graphic Engine(which looks worse IMO) and other gimmicky stuff is a better idea. I'm not even sure if that has helped them sell a single extra copy. But I'm certain a Good AI would have got them a pleasant word of mouth which in turn would have led to higher sales, especially considering their zero budget on publicity.

I've been highly disappointed with the game and the developer's design choices. I haven't played the game since the release week and would most likely not be touching it anytime soon. Its kinda sad really since this post is coming from one of the hardcore supporters of BigAnt and DBC. Who has bought the game on multiple platforms, on launch day, every time.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

No doubt but one thing I would like to happen is for the changes/fixes made in this iteration to carry over to the next installment. The AI running between the wkts & field editor were sorted in DBC 14 but are concerns in DBC 17. I would love for DBC to be in a state where it adds incrementally every edition instead of re-addressing the issue every iteration.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So anyway, I think I decided the issue the issue is again an anomaly possibly caused by corrupt logos or something...

I ditched the WC92 competition because it seemed pointless if i am dismissing the AI for under 30... I went to play a test match with my WSC teams. I got the repeat of an issue I had before (and solved by deleting data) where the AI was only using 3 of the available bowlers. I've managed this time to copy my data first before deleting it and have given it to BA so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

It's no more than a semi-theory but I am wondering if the issue is caused by downloading custom stadiums then deleting the adboards: you can see at the beginning of the video where i bowl out West Indies WC92 for 18 there are weird ad boards... this is where i deleted the ad boards and then after later downloading bats the bat logos were the adboards in the custom stadiums! so obviously the game can't handle that... i also think the action of downloading custom stadiums and then deleting the adboards is the common denominator in all the times i've had weird gameplay anomalies and had to delete the data (now about 6 or 7 times).

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia

What difficulty setting do you have batting on I've been doing some tests with the batting and Bowling difficulties I know it was a test match but the AI batted first made 203 on easy batting medium bowling difficulty I had a 100 run lead then put batting up to hardest bowling hardest and AI made 561 they batted really well I also had the top 7 batsman skills maxed to full but the lower batsman position 8 and 9 no increase in skills made 104 and 94 respectively there was a good variety in wicket dismissals and they were not getting out by the same field position as prior to increasing the batting and Bowling difficulties
The next match which I'm playing now set batsman skills to normal or what I downloaded them as and had batting and Bowling difficulties set to hard and got the AI out for 158 again playing shots to the same field positions so at present I'm not too sure if it was the batsman skill increase or the batting set to hardest that made them bat better also the batting skills were maxed in first innings when they made 203 on easier batting and Bowling difficulties.
So next innings I will go back to hardest batting and Bowling difficulties setting normal batting skills to see what happens will let you know

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
So anyway, I think I decided the issue the issue is again an anomaly possibly caused by corrupt logos or something...

I ditched the WC92 competition because it seemed pointless if i am dismissing the AI for under 30... I went to play a test match with my WSC teams. I got the repeat of an issue I had before (and solved by deleting data) where the AI was only using 3 of the available bowlers. I've managed this time to copy my data first before deleting it and have given it to BA so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

It's no more than a semi-theory but I am wondering if the issue is caused by downloading custom stadiums then deleting the adboards: you can see at the beginning of the video where i bowl out West Indies WC92 for 18 there are weird ad boards... this is where i deleted the ad boards and then after later downloading bats the bat logos were the adboards in the custom stadiums! so obviously the game can't handle that... i also think the action of downloading custom stadiums and then deleting the adboards is the common denominator in all the times i've had weird gameplay anomalies and had to delete the data (now about 6 or 7 times).
I also found with the AI only using the 3 main bowlers if you exit the game when they are on that loop they will do a bowling change and use a 4th and 5th bowler when you come back and play again also with the logo thing when the a AI made 561 I was playing on a custom Ground The Gabba but had no custom bats just the blank ones but when batsman came out to bat they had the ground logos on there bat it looked weird but like I said it has been the best innings I've seen them play I had about 20 logos in the logo list so not sure if that makes any difference to having a thousand in there at the game I'm playing now is at Melbourne stadium with just batting logos

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What difficulty setting do you have batting on I've been doing some tests with the batting and Bowling difficulties I know it was a test match but the AI batted first made 203 on easy batting medium bowling difficulty I had a 100 run lead then put batting up to hardest bowling hardest and AI made 561 they batted really well I also had the top 7 batsman skills maxed to full but the lower batsman position 8 and 9 no increase in skills made 104 and 94 respectively there was a good variety in wicket dismissals and they were not getting out by the same field position as prior to increasing the batting and Bowling difficulties
The next match which I'm playing now set batsman skills to normal or what I downloaded them as and had batting and Bowling difficulties set to hard and got the AI out for 158 again playing shots to the same field positions so at present I'm not too sure if it was the batsman skill increase or the batting set to hardest that made them bat better also the batting skills were maxed in first innings when they made 203 on easier batting and Bowling difficulties.
So next innings I will go back to hardest batting and Bowling difficulties setting normal batting skills to see what happens will let you know

batting is medium. but by all of the explanations of BA that should not effect the AI, so if that is so are you experiencing a "bug" (error in code), an "anomaly" (something corrupted and values being wrong or whatever it is...), or is the information we've been given wrong?

Cloud Starkman

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
batting is medium. but by all of the explanations of BA that should not effect the AI, so if that is so are you experiencing a "bug" (error in code), an "anomaly" (something corrupted and values being wrong or whatever it is...), or is the information we've been given wrong?
I know but since last patch is when I started getting the problem try batting on hardest and see what happens I have posted about this same issue in a thread titled difficulty levels and some other user are finding that what I'm doing with the batting and Bowling difficulties are getting good results in regards to AI scores I think when BA adjusted the AI to stop scoring so quick in tests and always smashing last ball of the over it has had a knock on effect to the difficulty levels I don't think we have been given the wrong information as the difficulty levels seemed to work fine before patch 3 its since then I have run into this issue

Wavelberry

International Cricketer

Hi Dave, deleted all logos etc to make the game run better and started a new competition and now am having the three bowler issue in a custom stadium. Do you reckon things would work out alright if I deleted the stadiums and redownloaded them?

Users who are viewing this thread