An interesting interview of Shoaib Malik after TT final.

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Shoaib Malik gave an interesting interview after the match.

Then the Pakistan captain said something that was so irrelevant that I couldn't believe my ears. So I looked at the highlights over and over again to make sure that I'd actually heard him say it. This is what he said to master of ceremonies, Ravi Shastri, who asked him a sympathetic question about the game after Shoaib had collected his loser's medal:
"First of all I want to say something over here. I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

This is what he said word for word because it's important to quote him correctly. The problem here isn't the syntax, it is the sentiment. I don't expect Shoaib Malik to be a politically correct intellectual, but it is reasonable to expect him to know the world of cricket that he inhabits.

It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India. Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious—Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians—quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

Read full article here :- http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite/archives/2007/09/scenes_from_a_final.php

This could raise couple of eyebrows.Thats a silly mistake by Shoaib Malik.I am not saying it was intentional but he should think before saying things like these.

Last edited:
I feel this is very wrong, cricket is a world game, religion has nothing to do with the game and anyone can play, players should think twice before saying a speech about their country or any speech as a matter of fact.....

I'm watching this thread; lets keep it civil people;)

Maybe he is thanking those people who are fasting and still managed to watch this game. Maybe he worded it wrong.

I dont know whay Shoaib Malik has stated this , but this is totally disrespect toward the other religions. Well its true, to play in Pakistan cricket, it is good if you are from an islam religion. Like with Yousuf Younana, he changed to islam dues to pressure from PCB which he mentioned in an interview. Its great that u thanked to allah but directly to only Muslim religion is not done :mad:

I haven't seen anything so nit-picking or ridiculous since the incident with the presentation of the Champions Trophy to Australia last year.

I saw nothing in that, and nothing in this.

Not very well worded but hardly the end of the world.

I'm sure the ensuing storm will lead him to choose his words more carefully in future.

He might have said that because of his not so good English. I guess he didn't mean it. Of course there are two muslims in the Indian team, and I'm pretty sure that they weren't supporting Pakistan.

Ahh I don't get this, why are people offended about this? I dont understand?

I want to thank you back home Pakistan and where the Muslim lives all over the world."

Ahh I don't get this, why are people offended about this? I dont understand?
Because there are a lot of Muslims that live in India and they would have been supporting India not Pakistan. It's stupid to make an issue out of this although. I'm sure its a mistake and his English isn't the best which makes people misinterpret his statement. He was disappointed and wanted to thank all the supporters of Pakistan and it probably came out wrong. It's just what the reporters want.

Hey he mentioned "Ramadan" somewhere there, and we all know it's the month of Ramadan, so i think the did'nt say it the right wordings.. was the interview in English? or Hindi/Urdu?

Seriously, this media has no other jobs :rolleyes:

I watched the presentation ceremony. He looked really sorry for his fans for not making them happy with the win. You know what he continued after those two lines,

" Sorry guys, we didn't win this but we gave more than 100% in this game.. ", continued Malik in the same presentation.

How can media start a issue out of nothing. I think if they get bored to more extent, they might even start a issue on " Sorry guys " like How come, ladies are left out and something like that.

Only one thing all the supporters can think of, " Hats off to entire team from the way they played promising cricket throughout the tournament ".

was the interview in English? or Hindi/Urdu?

In English.

I haven't seen anything so nit-picking or ridiculous since the incident with the presentation of the Champions Trophy to Australia last year.

I saw nothing in that, and nothing in this.

so true, took the words from my mouth. this is no reason to make a big deal out of this and please dont make a big deal out of this, he didnt offend anyone by saying that.

It is a world where Muslims, Hindus and a Sikh currently play for England, where Buddhists, Muslims, Christians and a Hindu play for Sri Lanka, where Hashim Amla turns out for South Africa, where a Patel plays for New Zealand, where Muslims, Sikhs, Christians and Hindus play (and have always played) for India. Why would Shoaib think, then, that the Muslims of the world were collectively rooting for the Pakistan team or that they felt let down by its defeat? Did he stop to think of how Danish Kaneria, his Hindu team-mate, might feel hearing his Test skipper all but declare that the Pakistan team is a Muslim team that plays for the Muslims of the world? It is one thing to be publicly religious?Shahid Afridi thanked Allah and Matt Hayden and Shaun Pollock are proud, believing Christians?quite another to declare that your country's cricket eleven bats for international Islam.

this makes no sense and has absolutelly nothing to do with what Malik said.

Users who are viewing this thread