Ashes Cricket 2009 v1.1 Progress Update

DarkBoyBlunder

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update then to let you know what I'm up to, so you don't pop your tops :). It's actually quite a lot of work getting the same patch running on consoles compared to putting out a patch for PC. Without boring you with too much detail, the main reason why is that the 2GB file that I can easily modify and patch on PC actually lives on the optical drives on consoles (ie. read only so unmodifiable). Because the patch cannot exceed 4MB for Xbox 360 updates (because of the non-HDD Arcade console), this also means the final patch has had to be much smaller than Open Beta 2 although it HAS got all the changes, just stored more efficiently, which was the hard part.

Beyond this there are specific requirements and caveats that just don't exist on PC: it's not something we can simply chose 'to put out' instantly and there's actually more work involved than you might realise! Anyway, the patch is now running nicely on consoles against the retail disks, but we're still not quite ready to submit for certification. I promise you we're not sitting on a finished patch just to psyche you guys out, it just takes a fair amount of work to produce!

The patch will be released as soon as we're able to I assure you, but there's still QA and certification to go through. The mid-October take was a prediction made back before we'd released Open Beta 1 (I believe), but of course we did more in response to feedback from the closed and open Betas. This is good, with your help we?ve improved things more than we could have hoped, but that does mean the date needed to move out slightly.

We cannot give you a definite date just yet, all we can do is keep you updated on the progress. At the moment it's release is obviously still weeks, rather than days, off but we ARE in the process of wrapping it up.

Oh by the way, if you're Melbourne based and have played the PC Beta, PS3 or Xbox 360 versions a *lot* (so you know what to look for), send me a PM if you're willing and able to come in to West Melbourne and give the game a good play on Sunday on Xbox 360 and PS3 to help make sure they're doing everything the PC version is. You'll need to be familiar with playing it with a controller rather than keyboard of course.

Anyways, back to it, I've obviously still got work to do :).

Cheers,

-Rob.

ulukai

Club Cricketer
Thanks for the update! But I have to ask the obvious question -- what about the PC patch? I assume your points about QA/certification etc taking time were all about the console versions. I hope the PC patch release is not going to wait till the console patches are ready. Also, any news on the gamesplanet/steam version?

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Thanks for the update. Here's hoping that you managed to get round to stopping the AI slogging so early in their innings in tests. It's the one thing left in the game that's annoying me - you could have an AI tied down for a whole over and then - whack - out of nowhere, they've smashed a decent delivery for six. The AI has a habit of going aerial when staying on the ground would most likely score them the same amount of runs.

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
Thanks for the update and if any more information comes your way i and everyone else i guess would really appreciate it. :D

alioz

Club Cricketer
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Cant beleive there is a limit of 4mb only for updates on xbox360......anyways.

DarkBoyBlunder

Club Cricketer
Thanks for the update! But I have to ask the obvious question -- what about the PC patch? I assume your points about QA/certification etc taking time were all about the console versions. I hope the PC patch release is not going to wait till the console patches are ready. Also, any news on the gamesplanet/steam version?

Although we don't have a certification process, we still have to QA the PC version more heavily along with the console versions. The open beta group is doing a great job with feedback, but a proper QA pass is required before releasing the final patch even for PC. As for Gamesplanet and Steam, we are in the process of agreeing on a date and time for us to simultaneously release the patch across each of those versions along with the final retail DVD patch (but this will be after we're ready to release), as we'll be updating the production server to 1.1 at that point, so all PC owners will have to update as 1.0 users will be unable to play online from that point on.

Last edited:

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
so are we looking november sometime for 360 patch if you had to make a estimation??

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
O well bit gutted, but as long as the patch is up to scratch when it does arrive the wait would have been well worth it. Lets just hope it is as beta feedback is pretty promising. :)

ulukai

Club Cricketer
Although we don't have a certification process, we still have to QA the PC version more heavily along with the console versions. The open beta group is doing a great job with feedback, but a proper QA pass is required before releasing the final patch even for PC. As for Gamesplanet and Steam, we are in the process of agreeing on a date and time for us to simultaneously release the patch across each of those versions along with the final retail DVD patch (but this will be after we're ready to release), as we'll be updating the production server to 1.1 at that point, so all PC owners will have to update as 1.0 users will be unable to play online from that point on.

sounds good, thanks!

x Punjabi Killa

Club Cricketer
Since the patch can be only 4MB for Xbox, does that mean we won't see all the bugs being fixed?

Can you release more than one patch of 4MB with a day difference to fix all the problems?

Why don't you just release the Cricket 2010 instead of mucking around with the patch?

Is there any size limits on PS3 version?

Last edited:

DarkBoyBlunder

Club Cricketer
Since the patch can be only 4MB, does that mean we won't see all the bugs being fixed?

No, you'll get everything that the PC version gets; I've managed to get all the code and data changes across for the patch. We knew this limit up front when beginning work on the patch, which is one of the reasons why we chose not to add new features that involve heavy content changes. It still took work to do though once we had got the required functionality in.

Can you release more than one patch of 4MB with a day difference to fix all the problems?

No. All updates require us to re-submit through the same certification process, which usually takes about two weeks.

Why don't you just release the Cricket 2010 instead of mucking around with the patch?

Sure, that'd be easier for us, right? However, we were keen to take on feedback and in response deliver improvements where we could for everyone who purchased Ashes Cricket 2009. Our view on this is that by showing you that we care and by proving that we're keen to improve Ashes Cricket 2009, we hope that then, you'll be more likely to stick with us for any future titles.

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
Well at least we will get everything that the pc users get.

But pc patch still to be released before 360??

And not moaning or anything like that, just wondering why a date hasnt been announced, what are you guys currently doing on ashes cricket 2009??

x Punjabi Killa

Club Cricketer
Thanks mate. Very nice, I can not wait. I appreciate your feedback.

PS3, is a patch easier to than Xbox? Are there any size limts by Sony?

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
And what is this certification process?? and why does it take so long(2weeks)??

Users who are viewing this thread