Asif and Akhtar Positive for doping!

i just had a little flashback..
didnt shane warne have something to do with match fixing few years back?
and mark waugh alongside him?

funny the amount of hypocrites we see around here who just forget about players of their nation when it comes to something controversial,

not taking the mick here but it really gets to you

the hypocrisy that is displayed on here

gambino said:

funny the amount of hypocrites we see around here who just forget about players of their nation when it comes to something controversial,

Well most the flak you've been taking is from English guys so I'm not sure what point you're making...

gambino said:

Back on topic please.

So is it at all possible for the ICC to do anything about these decisions?

Ie, Overturn them? Or ban the two players from future ICC tournaments?

Sureshot said:
So is it at all possible for the ICC to do anything about these decisions?

Ie, Overturn them? Or ban the two players from future ICC tournaments?
I think not, unless they retest the players and find them guilty; or they accept the results of the test conducted by PCB (I'm assuming a copy of the report and an analysis of the lab it came from).

Also, banning the two players in question would make them the scapegoat--which is not the best solution, although I don't know what the best solution is. It may be hard to believe for people here that sportsmen don't know the ABC's of drugs in the game (and there is of course no excuse but time) but Asian countries are not as developed. As Javed Miandad famously said, "We have an Irfan Pathan in every gully of Pakistan." This is pretty much true and I'm sure the average Joe doesn't know what the heck Nandrolone is.

It was up to the PCB to forward this information to the players, and there is doubt that even that occurred. This is again a quandary because the ICC is not dealing with a black and white situation. They can make an example out of Akhtar and Asif but they will be destroying their livelihood. An adequate punishment that may not be, given the circumstances.

Can't the ICC just 'randomly' test those two and then have it dealt with under their rules? I'm a bit hazy on how all this works, but it seems like Pakistan have just gotten the positive tests and sent them home immediately, knowing if they set the ban themselves then the players will escape a heavy ban.

Basically yes Tassie, but imposing it for a certain length of time they have been able to remove all traces from their body, and now can continue. I thought it was odd they refused the option of taking a B sample, but they obviously already knew what their defence was, and there was no need to have two samples both positive.

Did anyone else see how Asif blamed the fact that he is Muslim for the way he has been treated? Disgraceful at best...

I saw it at bigfooty.com for those interested, I couldn't find a link to the article so I didn't post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread