Asif and Akhtar Positive for doping!

There was a reference to a study in the cricinfo article that suggested that there were ways for the test to produce incorrect results under certain circumstances. However, that's just another study so I wouldn't really base anything on it unless it concretely started pointing out faults in the testing procedure.

It is very sad to see something like this happen. It is also very easy for us to look at Shoaib and Asif and say that they took drugs knowingly. However, as was mentioned earlier, there are many athletes who have tested positive for high levels of nandrolone. Athletes can also have high levels from use of Creatine and the consumption of protein shakes. This of curse is all from the article about nandrolone on cricinfo.

I hope that something logical can explain why shoaib and asif tested positive. hopefully sample b will clear them. On the other hand, pakistan have pulled off an amazing win without their strike bowlers. Maybe the last few months has helped the team glue together better!

jeromedascorp said:
It is very sad to see something like this happen. It is also very easy for us to look at Shoaib and Asif and say that they took drugs knowingly. However, as was mentioned earlier, there are many athletes who have tested positive for high levels of nandrolone. Athletes can also have high levels from use of Creatine and the consumption of protein shakes. This of curse is all from the article about nandrolone on cricinfo.

I hope that something logical can explain why shoaib and asif tested positive. hopefully sample b will clear them. On the other hand, pakistan have pulled off an amazing win without their strike bowlers. Maybe the last few months has helped the team glue together better!

B samples very rarely clear sportsmen who have tested positive on the A sample. Not ruling it out, but highly unlikely.

Sureshot said:
B samples very rarely clear sportsmen who have tested positive on the A sample. Not ruling it out, but highly unlikely.

Using logic, I assume the A sample could randomly have high levels of whatever in it...it is very unlikely.

Sureshot said:

Marion Jones was cleared a month or so back when her A sample tested positive but her B sample was clear.

Dare said:
Marion Jones was cleared a month or so back when her A sample tested positive but her B sample was clear.
Still very unlikely, the B Sample will test possible and apparently they are likely to get 2 years for it, which is fine with me.

Dare said:

And the hundreds of times when the A and B samples were the same.

In the case of Jones something went wrong, the 2 samples are taken at the same time, so why one show positive and one negative? That defies I think, logic.

Sureshot said:
In the case of Jones something went wrong, the 2 samples are taken at the same time, so why one show positive and one negative? That defies I think, logic.
You just answered your own question. In case some mistake was made in the A sample, which I'm sure happens more than we'd expect.

nightprowler10 said:
You just answered your own question. In case some mistake was made in the A sample, which I'm sure happens more than we'd expect.
Yes, I don't think anyone here, unless they are closely acquainted with the research surrounding the testing procedure, really have any idea about the situations under which tests return certain results.

Is it not true that they have drug tests before such important series'. If it is I doubt Akhtar and Asif have intentionally taken drugs with the knowledge that drugs are around the corner with the Champions Trophy being their next tournament. Nevertheless, this is my opinion and none of you have to agree with it. I am entitled to it.

I just made a thread of this and I've got a feeling someone just deleted it that quickly.

The news just appeared on Pakistani TV. And now I see also BBC is mentioning it.

This is pretty bad news. Pakistan can forget about winning the World Cup without these two guys.

Serves them right. I'm glad they've been made an example of to show other potential drug users in the game the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread