AMA Ask Asad! New Questions Appreciated! (Tag me when you ask)

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
On a side note, I have been trying to get a couple of books about Cricket in Pakistan but sadly they are out of stock online. Unfortunately, I can't even go to the retail stores to check due to COVID-19.
I have "The Unquiet Ones" by Osman Samiuddin (with a stain in the middle, due to dropping a cup of coffee on it :p), it's really superb.

How old are you? What field of education are you pursuing?

Btw, I think me, you and @Salman. are the only Pakistani members from Lahore (even though I'm stuck in Germany right now, due to the pandemic), everyone else is from Karachi, and I think @Alexei. is from Faisalabad?

Salman.

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I have "The Unquiet Ones" by Osman Samiuddin (with a stain in the middle, due to dropping a cup of coffee on it :p), it's really superb.

Btw, I think me, you and @Salman. are the only Pakistani members from Lahore (even though I'm stuck in Germany right now, due to the pandemic), everyone else is from Karachi, and I think @Alexei. is from Faisalabad?
We'll do a meetup then xD.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Ok, I'll shoot (hope you return the favor)..

How would you describe your lockdown?

Its been mercurial with a fair share of ups and downs. Overall it has been a different experience and I've enjoyed it.

Have you kept yourself physically active during lockdown? If so, how?

I've been playing Cricket, Badminton, and walking down the stairs as physical activities. My diet has also improved a lot so it has been beneficial as well. I was never fat or overweight but I could feel that my health was deteriorating before the lockdown due to being unserious with my diet.

What surprising thing have you been stocking up on (that isn’t toilet paper, masks, gloves, sanitizers)?

I guess memes do count. Trolling my friends and posting memes in TCPL has been a hobby for me these days.

What are some things you have realized that you don’t really need during this pandemic?

I don't really need non-homecooked food. This is what I've learned.

What habit have you started, or broken, during the quarantine?

Started a habit of evaluating and assessing myself before sleep every night. Surprisingly, the time I spend on video games has decreased dramatically during the lockdown.

Have you done something during the lockdown that you wouldn't normally associate yourself with?

A 7 month earlier version of me wouldn't have associated himself to cooking, singing, being conscious of diet and water intake.

Which specific place are you most looking forward to visiting once this is all over?

School, Emporium mall (a famous mall in Lahore), Rawalpindi (where I was born and my extended family lives there as well). Also, hopefully, I am able to visit Quetta, Sialkot, Abbottabad, Bahawalpur ( the cities that I have previously lived in).

What skills have you gained, improved, or worked on during the quarantine?

Singing, cooking, a little bit of editing, Cricket skills, fitness are a few that I can remember right now.

What’s something you own that feels useful?

Knowing languages doesn't count as 'owning' but I can speak at least 4 languages fluently. I'm working on the 5th and 6th language right now and hopefully, the effort isn't wasted. Knowing many languages opens up a new world and is really really helpful. Just like Rumi said, " If you want to see a new world learn a new language".
What is your Covid-19 nickname/alter-ego/if any?

I am referred to as 'Asti' by my mum sometimes.

What part of your shelter-in-place/residence have you come to appreciate the most during quarantine?

Bed and sofa. Porch as well but to a smaller extent as we only play Cricket there.

What’s a story – from a book, a movie, an article, a conversation – that you’ve been gripped by recently? Why did it capture you?

A story of a Pakistani Christian boy named Iqbal Masih, who was sold to a carpet factory owner at the age of 4. At 10, he ran away, got basic education in 2 years. He helped at least 3,000 Pakistani kids escape slavery. He was recognized by many international and national education institutes. He was later killed at the age of 12 on the eve of Easter. Carpet factory mafias were accused of his killing but no concrete evidence was found. Even a 2 year old can understand that he was killed by the carpet mafia but Pakistan's government and judiciary couldn't.

What problem—either yours, or something more global —do you wish you could solve?

I'm not a very deep kind of person but I really wish that I could eradicate extremism, poverty, child labor/slavery, and social injustice. Seeing girls and boys that are even younger than me working tirelessly for hours and having no respect in society just breaks my heart. Extremism is also rampant in Pakistan but thankfully its decreasing rapidly.

What’s the easiest part about the quarantine?

Having to avoid waking up early.

What’s something that you miss most from the pre-COVID days? And what do you miss the least?

I really miss meeting my friends and the fun we would have in school. I am least bothered about waking up early though. I want schools to open tomorrow even but the school's timings should be 11 AM-4 PM

What’s the most generous act you’ve seen recently?

A street vendor giving money to a YouTuber who was pretending that he was poor and didn't eat anything for days.

What has changed the most about you during quarantine?

The fear of poor health when I am 30+ due to my poor diet has had a really big impact on me. I am now drinking more water and having a conscious diet.

Lastly, what do you hope we all learn or take away from this experience?

I hope that we learn to be content at all times (something that I need to learn myself as well :D). Also, we should realize that humans were made to evolve and we can adapt to all circumstances.

I tried my best to answer your questions. Hopefully, these answers are worth reading:cheers

Last edited:

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Yeah I've read Osman Samiuddin's blogs and oh boy they are something of the next level. If you permit, I might borrow the book from you once this COVID-19 is gone.

15 years is my age right now and I'm just starting my O-Levels (Edexcel) next month. I have opted for 9 subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Computer Sciences, and Biology as the optional subjects). Now fields of Medicine, Engineering, and IT are open for me. I'm still not 100% sure about what subject I'll carry on in the future and pursue a career in. Once I'm done with O-Levels and have studied these subjects in more detail, I would be able to say anything for certain. For now, I'm keeping myself busy in O-Levels and not stressing about the future.

As @Salman. said, let's plan a meetup once this pandemic is over :cheers

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
15 years is my age right now and I'm just starting my O-Levels (Edexcel) next month. I have opted for 9 subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Computer Sciences, and Biology as the optional subjects). Now fields of Medicine, Engineering, and IT are open for me. I'm still not 100% sure about what subject I'll carry on in the future and pursue a career in. Once I'm done with O-Levels and have studied these subjects in more detail, I would be able to say anything for certain. For now, I'm keeping myself busy in O-Levels and not stressing about the future.
I did one subject in my A-Levels with Edexcel (Politics) and the other two (Law and Business) with Cambridge. Didn't know there is O-Levels for Edexcel too in Lahore.If you don't mind me asking, which school is it?

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
If you don't mind me asking, which school is it?
Froebel's International School located in Lake City. It is quite famous, so you might know about it.

I feel like you are from LGS...

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Froebel's International School located in Lake City. It is quite famous, so you might know about it.

I feel like you are from LGS...
I've already done my A-Levels, so formerly from Roots International in EME (DHA Phase XII) :D

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I am also a former Rootsian. I studied in Roots from 2014-2018.

Roots gang :cheers
I've heard Roots has some awesome campuses, but mine was total shit, as it was built just 3-4 years ago. When I joined in 2018, they were starting to build the swimming pool, and they still haven't finished. Also the number of students is really low. In my A-Level Law class, there were 3. In Politics, just 2.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I've heard Roots has some awesome campuses, but mine was total shit, as it was built just 3-4 years ago. When I joined in 2018, they were starting to build the swimming pool, and they still haven't finished. Also the number of students is really low. In my A-Level Law class, there were 3. In Politics, just 2.
Due to my dad's frequent transfers due to work, I have lived in many cities and studied in different schools. I have studied at Roots in Bahawalpur and Sialkot. The Bahawalpur one was an IVY campus and was established when I joined. In fact, I was one of the founding students. It was pretty good with good faculty. The lack of students was a big problem there as well.

The Sialkot one was poor, to say the least. A-Levels students would be smoking on the campus in front of the faculty and would have little to no repercussions. You can imagine the rest. Air conditioners wouldn't be working, we had no arts or IT class so yeah it was bad. The reason why I stuck with Roots was that we didn't have any decent alternatives in Sialkot. Once we moved to Lahore, I had many options and opted for Froebel's, which has an added advantage of being within the walking distance from my house.

Roots was pretty good until the late 2000s. The family problems between the owners have had a horrible impact on the school since then.

I have studied in 7-8 schools in different cities of Pakistan and I have found Froebel's to be the best. I would recommend everybody to check it out.

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Yeah I've read Osman Samiuddin's blogs and oh boy they are something of the next level. If you permit, I might borrow the book from you once this COVID-19 is gone.
I've left it in Pakistan, so once I go back, I can send it via TCS :thumbs
But if stores open earlier, it shouldn't be hard to find, it's quite famous among cricket fans.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I've left it in Pakistan, so once I go back, I can send it via TCS :thumbs
But if stores open earlier, it shouldn't be hard to find, it's quite famous among cricket fans.
Yeah, I should be able to find it soon as shops are opening.

I appreciate your kind offer, though :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread