Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

North is carrying his tour match form and it looks like he is ready to play another one of his fighting knocks. Good to see Haddin becoming more reliable with the bat just need him to go on to make a biggie.

Getting the 20 wickets is still a problem and with less time in the match we have to get them quickly if we are to force a result.

68 Overs in a days play between the top two sides is a joke. A complete farce IMO. And sadly, the ICC won't do jack about it. Why cant they reduce the breaks tomorrow and try to get all the overs in?

You do now a lot of the last session was washed out right? SA were behind in their over rates but certainly 22 overs worth.

You do now a lot of the last session was washed out right? SA were behind in their over rates but certainly 22 overs worth.

I know it was washed out but still. Over rates will always be a problem especially for teams like Australia and South Africa who rely on pace. I just hope the ICC tries to do something about it. As I mentioned already, maybe they can reduce some of the break time. By the way, this is not only for this match, but other test matches as well which is affected by bad light, over rates, etc.

68 Overs in a days play between the top two sides is a joke. A complete farce IMO. And sadly, the ICC won't do jack about it. Why cant they reduce the breaks tomorrow and try to get all the overs in?

So you think that 90 overs should be bowled in just over 2 sessions?

It's just a form drop, piriyanth. Every player goes through it, and just look at his recent performances in the One Day series against SA and the Kiwis and how well he performed so he seems to be coming out of it. He was under pressure here, and just pushed at a good ball which is something pressure does. It's not an easy pitch to bat on so it's not entirely his fault.

SA over rate was just over 12 an hour the minimum is 15 per over.
They were saved by the bad light or else surely they have to be in trouble for only bowling 12 an hour.

North batting just as good as i expected.
Unfortunately Macdonald still got into the team but this pitch will suit his avg bowling an he could b dangerous.
I just hope selectors realise if he does well it was thanks to the pitch not his ability and they never pick him again.

North certainly gets a few edges while playing that drive. Will be interesting seeing how he goes in the next inns and match now that SA would have seen this. None the less well made 60 by North continues his great run in SA.

Getting my first look at North in this tour now. Missed the first half hour because I thought the pregame show was on. Did they only just come back on the field or have they been playing for half hour?

Feelin Blue? added 7 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

There seems to be quite a bit of spin in this pitch all-ready, but it's hardly looking threatening with Haddin and North just picking singles down to mid on and off. South Africa are obviously waiting on the new ball but whether it will be effective or not should be good to see. I am interested to know how North and Haddin will go against the likes of Steyn and Ntini when they are bowling the way they did in the first hour of this test match.

As I speak, this valuable partnership hits 100, and is justifying the selection of North.

ROFL, McDonald did well :p Only now turning onto this game, seems South Africa are back on top, North and Johnson are good enough to get Aus up to 400 though I reckon.

Looks like Haddin managed to match North score before he departed. He did his job I can't say the same for the batter at 8...

Wasn't McDonald included to add more to the batting line-up? Should probably have gone for a proper bowler tbh.

Woah, it's really moving off the seam for Ntini. Going square off the seam, North was completely done by that, then the next one went miles the other way.

Last edited:
Pretty much, his bowling being below 130km/h means he will be able to contain at best. And to think he could have been batting at 6!

This is a top new ball partnership, and something that should excite our quick's very much. It also proves how valuable Bollinger would have been. Ntini is getting immense movement and has got North in all sorts and is giving him hell. I'm hoping Siddle can find this seam movement that Ntini has found and use it to great success. Ntini's ball to Haddin before he got him out was a beauty, but it was a soft dismissal from Haddin in the end.

Steyn on the other hand, is swinging it a mile. Hilfenhaus should be enjoying this, as I can see him swinging it more then Steyn here. I'm not surprised Macca got out, as he came in in a difficult period of play with Steyn at full throttle and he doesn't look comfortable at the top level. The key is though, Ntini is keeping that solid line short of a length, and creating havoc with the seam while Steyn is using late swing trying to draw that edge. Top new ball partnership.

I'm quite impressed with North here. He has showed great gut and has played Ntini fairly well despite being hit a few times. He is very unpredictable Ntini, with 4 out of 6 balls of one over going straight on to the slips, with the other 2 coming back in about 15cm's and hitting North. Unlike Haddin though, North is riding through this period and scoring runs where ever available so I'm proud of him. Good selection.

Macca has proved he is a waste of time. It was a fair chance he would come in facing a swinging/seaming ball. We weren't going to be only 2 or 3 out after 80 overs on a pitch like this. He is incapable and shied away from the pressure playing a bad shot with no footwork. I can't see McDonald making much impact with the ball either as he is probably to slow for his seam to cause any problems. Dougie would have been awesome on this pitch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread