Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Forgot Katich could move down the order although would be a risky thing having 2 openers that are relatively new. But definitely an option should it be needed.

Krejza I reckon bowled himself out of contention on the weekend and the selectors would look silly picking him after he was again taken for a lot of runs which was the whole reason for dropping him. He needs to get a bit more control, add an arm ball and maybe a doosra.

I don't think Jacques should go on this tour. Coming back from injury and he at this stage hasn't had much match time. I don't like the idea of taking Hughes to the test matches either. Get him grounded on ODIs much like Duminy, De villiers and co...

My squad:
Katich
Rogers
Ponting
M.Hussey
Clarke
Mcdonald
Haddin
Johnson
Mcgain
Bollinger
Hilfenhouse

Reserve:
Magoffin
Klinger
Siddle

My offical Squad

Rogers
Katich
Ponting (C)
Clarke
Hussey
Mcdonald
Haddin (WK)
Johnson
Harwood
Siddle
Mcgain

Reserves
Hodge
Ferguson
Nannes
Harris (Ryan)

harwood has the thing australia are missing firey hot head. we need one badly. he was in contention to go sth africa last time but injury ruled him out.

The squad is:

Ricky Ponting (captain): TAS, 34
Michael Clarke (vice-captain): NSW, 27
Doug Bollinger: NSW, 27
Brad Haddin: NSW, 31
Nathan Hauritz: NSW, 27
Ben Hilfenhaus: TAS, 25

Phillip Hughes: NSW, 20
Michael Hussey: WA, 33
Mitchell Johnson: WA, 27
Simon Katich: NSW, 33
Andrew McDonald: VIC, 27
Bryce McGain: VIC, 36
Marcus North: WA, 29
Peter Siddle: VIC, 24

australia are gone thats the offical squad.

Pretty much expected that from the reports and with North in the side it gives the selectors another option to play at 6 should they decide to go with 4 pacemen.

Aussie Test squad named

Looks like the test squad has being named. Hughes, McGain & North as the new faces. McDonald retained as allrounder.

Seems like a very inexperienced side with a lot of new faces. Not a fan of McDonald being in the team. Looking forward to McGain and Hughes though.

North the only surprise. Reasonably good picks, provided they stay fit.

I think its a very solid side. When you include injured, Lee, Clark and Watson (Maybe Jacques) Australia should be fine by the Ashes.

North is a good player from what I've seen when he's played for Gloucestershire and is a good back-up to Symonds. He bowled some crucial spells for Gloucestershire as well so he can certainly bowl. Good selection.

I'll be interested to look at McGain as well before the ashes.

Good to see Hughes in their. Definitely deserved. Not sure on North, but I would imagine he would be 12th man anyway.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
McDonald
Johnson
Siddle
McGain
(Another bowler)

Who is our 3rd pacer? Hilfy, Dougie?

Pretty sure north will be playing to try an add more batting depth an Mcdonald will be 12th man unless pitch is a green one.

Not sure on putting Hughes straight into the deep end
I thought it would be best to go with Jaques for the first few games an if he cant find any form then give hughes a go.
Gives him a chance to settle slightly in his first overseas tour(has he played an aus a tours)
an rhen come in with abit less pressure after a few tests.

My side out of the squad

Hughes (WK)
Katich
Ponting (C)
Clarke
Hussey
North (Even though he dont deserve to be their)
Macca
Johnson
Siddle
Mcgain
Bollinger

I dont think McDonald is better then North, he is a nothing player while North is a batter who can bowl.
@ Jacques, I dont think he is ready yet after injury, but Ashes we should bring him too.
@ the bowlers, we will probably rotate the 4 Pacers.

Users who are viewing this thread