Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

I see the source was taken from Cricinfo, a reliable source(Re SA to spy on Philip Hughes) However, all are avid cricket fans and would have seen how SA Proteas played with such class while on tour in Australia. Proteas batman are international players and will play Hughes like any other bowler/batsman.
They will not have to watch videos.
If Proteas are to loose sleep which they wont for a the test match. , one batsman/bowler is certainly not going to concern them.

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone is so over the moon with Doug Bollinger. Sure he had acouple of LBW decisions turned down but they were all over a tailender in Morne Morkel and he wasn't very impressive in the Sydney Test. He didn't swing the ball and he looks like a genuine 135kph on the spot bowler who doesn't do anything with the ball and gets murdered by quality opposition.

It is a bit unfair to judge him on one Test. You often speak up Australian domestic cricket, do you think he could succeed as 135kph on the spot? I don't and think that the ball merely didn't swing for him in Sydney whereas it usually does.

He was above the 140km/h mark for quite a bit of the Sydney test. Justin Langer rated Bollinger amoung his 10 most dangerous pacemen he has faced quoted from Inside Cricket "Mate he has serious pace, and like Wasim Akram, he gives you that different variable and swings the ball with a very quick bumper".

No bowler got the ball to really swing in the Sydney test and that is one of his main weapons plus the fact he was making his debut.

Still a pretty strong side that's been selected. Looking forward to see how Tahir does against international players.

Yeah a good performance against the Aussies could see him being fast-tracked into the Test lineup. Roelof is also one to watch out for. SA haven't had a decent spinning-allrounder since Boje .

I want to see how this Imraan Khan guy gets on in the batting. Tops the FC batting so far, is up there in OD batting and captained them at U19. Good name too :D

Bollinger wasn't impressive but neither was Hilfenhaus in the ODI series. It will be interesting to see who the selectors pick, personally I don't see much between them but I'd rather Hilfenhaus on age alone, he could be a weapon in the Ashes and in the future.

Hughes will have a casual hit over the next three days against the pie-chuckers before walking into the storm South Africa are planning for him. Proteas pace spearhead Dale Steyn says we are about to find out what Phillip Hughes is made of. Steyn might not like the answer.

Haddin sees a big opening for Hughes - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Hehe I've never read an article calling a teams bowlers pie chuckers.

Getting so close to the Ashes yet still so much decisions to make. They really have to persist with one bowler and hope that it was the right choice. Hiflys swing does it for me.

Depends on which parts of the country obviously, but the ball generally swings and seams more over here than in Australia. That is evident by SA having almost no openers in the domestic scene who average over 50 in FC cricket. The added swing and seam will make both Steyn, and Makhaya Ntini more lethel. Ntini probably more so because of his reliance on such wickets. He was the only SA bowler to be really successful on the Aussies' last tour of SA.

Squad to SA

My side fo sth africa

Rogers
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
D.Hussey
C.White
Haddin
Johnson
Mckay
Nannes
Siddle

12th man mike hussey

13 Hughes
14 Harris
15. Mcgain/Haurtiz

bushy added 27 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

went for rogers due to experience and i think his form over the years warrant selection. went with white due to he and hussey and clarke can bowl spin.

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time post-er(?).

I had to response to this post - Bushy - that is one of the worst team selections (hypothetical or actual) I have ever seen. I'll refer you to these two articles as they will pose the argument to your selection in a much more concise and eloquent manner (without resorting to Christian Bale like language):

Cricinfo - Six obsession

Cricinfo - End the spin uncertainty

If you aren't interested in reading them, the precis is: 'pick your best 6 batsmen', and don't start flirting with an alrounder who would not be able to hold his own in the team as a batsman as a no.6'. Hence, why would you pick white and huss for some part-time spin, it would be a bonus, not a contingent circumstances that warrants selection.

D. Hussey and C. White would be the most inconsistent middle order we could pick given all possible combinations in the present CA contracted players... I'll leave the articles to say the rest...phew....except to say huss relies purely on form to carry him through an innings (the man can't play proper cricket shots) and would most certainly get found out by respectable seam bowling (Styne, et al), and White; well do I even need to say why he is not a test batsman? And I like the guy's commitment and hustle in the field, but Mitch Johnston is more technically proficient than the two of them put together.

Depends on which parts of the country obviously, but the ball generally swings and seams more over here than in Australia. That is evident by SA having almost no openers in the domestic scene who average over 50 in FC cricket. The added swing and seam will make both Steyn, and Makhaya Ntini more lethel. Ntini probably more so because of his reliance on such wickets. He was the only SA bowler to be really successful on the Aussies' last tour of SA.

That is good to hear we will be able to see what Hilfy/Bollinger is made of with swinging conditions. Also will be looking out to see how much Siddle can swing it as he has shown he can swing it both ways for a few balls.

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time post-er(?).

D. Hussey and C. White would be the most inconsistent middle order we could pick given all possible combinations in the present CA contracted players... I'll leave the articles to say the rest...phew....except to say huss relies purely on form to carry him through an innings (the man can't play proper cricket shots) and would most certainly get found out by respectable seam bowling (Styne, et al), and White; well do I even need to say why he is not a test batsman? And I like the guy's commitment and hustle in the field, but Mitch Johnston is more technically proficient than the two of them put together.

Welcome a board, on Dussey he has a pretty dam good FC average to suggest he could make it. Although seeing him in the recent ODI series has put me off him slightly. Plus we need a number 6 that isn't going to throw his wicket away which Dussey has been doing all season.

does the ball swing alot in south africa

Depends on the ground and weather conditions. Wanderers doesn't really swing but seams at least for tests( for odi's its as flat as they come, think 438). Durban swings if its overhead and always seams but can also get very flat in the last innings, SA chased 348 their to beat the aussies on the tour before last. Newlands generally swings a bit , especially at night during odi's.

Generally touring sides really struggle especially the batsmen on the SA tracks.

Steyn,Ntini,Morkel and Kallis will be a real handfull on these tracks.

stefan added 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

The SA 11 are 84/1. Hilfenhaus got Snijman out for 13 but Imran Khan has been going really well 49 of 53 balls.

I didn't think Bollinger was very impressive either to be honest. Nor with Siddle. I really doubt either of them will be playing in a few years time.

SA will beat this Australian side. It's weak and they're playing at home.

I didn't think Bollinger was very impressive either to be honest. Nor with Siddle. I really doubt either of them will be playing in a few years time.

SA will beat this Australian side. It's weak and they're playing at home.

Bollinger has been smashed by the Sa 11 today. Going at 5.80 in his 5 overs, only johnson has been under 4.

Khan has made a 50. score is 102/1.

Users who are viewing this thread