Australian contract list

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Australia news: Ed Cowan, George Bailey miss out on Australia contracts | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket Australia has announced their list of 17 contracted players:

Cricket Australia contracted players Michael Clarke, Pat Cummins, Xavier Doherty, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Shane Watson, David Warner.

Seems like a pretty fair list to me. If we are arguing that Ed Cowan and George Bailey were unlucky to get contracts then I think we've got it right :yes Honestly, Bailey hasn't done anything in international cricket yet, and Cowan is really just an honest first-class grinder who's fallen into a Test opening spot because all the young kids have failed. Arguing that Cowan, a player of average talent who averages 29 thus far in his 7 Tests, deserves a contract seems ridiculous to me.

Mitchell Johnson is always a controversial inclusion...In part he's there because he's on a two-year contract, but Inverarity said he probably would have got a contract anyway Australia news: Mitchell Johnson was guaranteed contract | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo. There are still a lot of Johnson believers on the selection panel. I read Dennis Lillee talking only a couple of weeks ago about how well Johnson was bowling in the nets, and he's the first guy selector Rod Marsh would ask about fast bowlers I would guess...

Brad Haddin is another interesting name. He's been bagged left and right for recent form, but by getting a contract the selectors obviously see him as having a role in Australia's future. I'm a Haddin fan, I think he should get first right to his Test spot at least. Give Wade the short form stuff.

And Mitchell Starc is the other guy there, he's been hanging around a lot in squads, but is he worthy of a contract? Well given the lack of batsmen putting their hand up for a contract, probably so yes. Although Shaun Marsh might feel a little aggrieved, given he had been performing well in 2011 up until that India series. Injuries had been his problem, not quality of performance.

So what do you think Planet Cricket, who would you have given a contract to??

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Knowing that a bunch of players might get contracts later in the year, I don't know if it's a big deal. They've sealed up their key batsmen and bowlers. The point of putting rookie bowlers above rookie batsmen is obvious, given the injury problem. They are saying that the batsmen just need to go make as many runs as possible, but they need to be more hands on with the bowling, especially in developing a teenager like Cummins into a virtually made-to-order international player.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Without debuting Dussey in Tests (it's a good idea which is how I know they're not going to do it), there aren't even enough batsmen there to make a Test team! It doesn't have to be Cowan (although an opener would come in handy), but they need another bat.

If you're not even prepared to give contracts to your whole first-choice Test XI, it does not send a winning message.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Satisfied with the list and reasons given for not giving Cowan and Bailey a contract.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
I'm fine with Bailey and Cowan not getting contracts and also ok with Johnson getting one. Johnson was good in ODIs and T20s before his injury whereas Bailey and Cowan haven't been much chop in one format yet.

JTN6R

School Cricketer
The contracts are not bad but Bailey is not a good choice.!

Phen

School Cricketer
Johnson is lucky and would have thought Cowan would have been given one.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Noticed that Mickey Arthur was saying yesterday that the lack of batsmen on the list is deliberate so that young batsmen will be hungry for runs and hungry to impress, knowing that if they do there's a contract to be taken and a spot in the team up for grabs. I think rewarding Cowan for a pretty average set of performances would have sent the wrong message.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Noticed that Mickey Arthur was saying yesterday that the lack of batsmen on the list is deliberate so that young batsmen will be hungry for runs and hungry to impress, knowing that if they do there's a contract to be taken and a spot in the team up for grabs. I think rewarding Cowan for a pretty average set of performances would have sent the wrong message.

Sounds good.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I actually don't see the threat. They've got like a dozen young players, but no Katich, Jaques, Bracken, Clark, etc. Lee isn't much of an asset to be playing only one dayers but I get the feeling NSW can either poach a veteran or buff the price of their other guys.

Users who are viewing this thread