Australian Domestic Cricket

Would be awesome if he didn't look like a midget with down syndrome. Sorry, but he's quite unattractive, haha. But he's a gun bat, just needs to bowl better or some ████. I remember Geeves said a while back when he got called up for the WACA test that Christian should be in contention, apart from him and McDonald.

His bowling is handy enough, just going through a slight slump with it. If he wants to make the Aussie side he needs to do it through his batting ala Hopes.

The big two for Victoria are back in form again. The new pair of Wade and Finch weren't a hit but I like the move.

The way the openers batted suggests that 350 could have happened. If we see another massive chase, that will be the thing to look at.

Hmm, we'll need to get off to a good start, defiantely possible for us with guys like Paine, Dighton, Lockyear, Birt and Bailey. I'll be off to watch the second innings so I hope it does go Tassie's way. LOL at Bailey saying about the bonus point!

Blizzard diamond ducked! Poor bugger. Who will be the Tassie openers? Lockyear and Paine wouldn't be bad but of course Dighton is more than handy.

A very brave attempt by the Tigers to do the impossible. Birt got my hopes up after those 6,6,4. That was very classy indeed, especially the four. I don't know what happened to Krejza? Was he out? It was chaos in the field, everyone was back to their positions, actually re-setting the fields to Krejza, Nannes started to come into bowl but the umpire stopped him and said the decision was still pending. The Tigers changeroom all yelled out 'Not Out' from the boundary and when it was given out everybody, even the Vics were shocked. The Tassie players were telling Krejza to stay out there because it was a mistake, but he hade to go. I think that's when we lost the match.

Interesting that twice we've got 300 against the Vics and twice we've lost:facepalm

Khawaja is out for 3 weeks, Bracken is injured again and Trent Copeland is in line to make his debut. Peter Forrest also returns to the side.

1. S.KATICH (c )
2. P.FORREST
3. T.COPELAND
4. P.HUGHES
5. P.JAQUES
6. M.HENRIQUES
7. G.LAMBERT
8. S.O'KEEFE
9. S.SMITH
10. D.SMITH
11. M.STARC
12. D.WARNER

12th man to be named on the morning of the game.

News Display | News | Cricket NSW

Ponting not keen on Top-End Sheffield Shield games

Ricky Ponting has rejected the idea of playing Sheffield Shield cricket in northern Australia early in the season as a way of fitting an extended Big Bash into the peak summer period. Cricket Australia are planning to introduce an eight-team Twenty20 tournament in two years but squeezing it into the existing busy schedule will be a challenge.

Jamie Cox, one of Australia's selectors, this week suggested beginning the Sheffield Shield tournament two months early in August or September, by playing in tropical regions like Darwin or Cairns. However, Ponting has previously voiced his concerns about altering the four-day competition and he wasn't a fan of Cox's idea.

"There seems to be a lot of talk about ways and means of making the Big Bash bigger and devoting more time to Twenty20," Ponting told AAP. "If I think about moving [Sheffield Shield] games to the Top End, you're going to lose something there somewhere.

"Those young guys are not going to get the chance to play at the MCG, SCG, those sort of venues, or play at the Gabba early season when the wicket's green. Those are the things that have made Australian Test players as good as they are because of the way they've learned to adapt to different conditions, in the conditions you play Test matches."

Cricket Australia's problem is that by adding two teams to the Twenty20 tournament they will increase the number of matches from 17 to 31. The current modelling is based around not reducing the amount of Sheffield Shield cricket played, although Cricket Australia have not categorically stated that the first-class competition would definitely remain at ten games per team.

"I'm sure they'll find some way around it," Ponting said. "I'm not sure what it's exactly going to be because all the talk is just about making the Big Bash better. I'm supportive of that because it's been a great tournament this year.

"I just don't want it to interfere with young up and coming Test players to get the right opportunities and experience to play good, hard, solid Sheffield Shield cricket. That's what's made all of us guys what we are today, the fact we've been brought up in a really hard, tough first-class cricket system and I'd hate to see the day where that's ever changed or compromised."

Why can't we just start the sheffield shield earlier like what CA's saying? Of course most matches will be aat minor vneues due to AFL still been played, but that can be the chance of teams playing at their 'minor' ground. I know that will be a bit hard due to local footy also.

Playing on flat pitches, etc. And I don't think Ponting endorses the idea of an extended T20 season

TBH, this years edition started to bore me towards the end. Quite happy to have the FC and OD season back.

I dunno, the FC matches serve a purpose, not sure it matters if a few are early season in cairns etc. I'm stoked that Punter is sticking up for tests, but you realistically cant look past the amazing crowds for the Big Bash, CA must be dreaming of making so much money from DOMESTIC matches, which has been a huge loss since the 50's60's. I guess domestic cricket wasnt viewed as a money making business, it was just the best breeding ground for future Aussie players, if they are getting massive crowds for a particular format then they really have to extend the Big Bash, they just have to. Maybe we dont need 5 one dayers against WI and Pak, maybe 3 each, increase the Big Bash time that way, though its not much time gained.

Don't like the idea of extending the number of teams. What we have now is perfect and we should be able to schedule it so that the Big Bash and ODI series don't clash allowing the Internationals to play in the Big Bash. We could also double up the matches on one day if needed.

Yeah, I do disagree with the new tournament. It won't feel the same if you see your state players playing against your side.

I couldn't stand the idea of seeing Brad Hodge or Cameron White playing for another team D:

Gazza_11 added 2 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

As Syl said, having two matches on one day works. That way it could be done in ten days, say from Jan 10th to Jan 20th. Hold of the ODI's between then, and the national players could join in.

Yeah, that's another good point. Although it might be hard to broadcast every match. But it could still work with either a Twilight match starting at 4 then a match at 7.30 or you could even fit in three with a twilight, night match then a night match at the WACA.

Users who are viewing this thread