Australian Domestic Cricket

Enough chit chat about losers like White, Cowan, Bailey, Klinger, Rogers etc

Lets take a look at Hughes' stats;
The Home of CricketArchive
The Home of CricketArchive

The only ground which he failed at is WACA and dominates Adelaide. And looking at his season averages, the lowest is this season. But if you update the figures he is actually averaging 50 this season.

Not bad don't you think?

Well we'll just see. His stats arent bad but they dont seem to demand his test selection. Plus check his record around the grounds, he dont do too well away from the MCG.....that was a flaw that stopped Bevan, Lehmann, Siddons, Law etc from playing more test cricket. Guys like Hayden and Ponting and Langer were great all over the country. White has been accused in the press many times here for making 'soft' runs. But hey if he can pull of being a top 6 batsmen for Australia i'll applaud him, it will be great to see. At the moment I think i'd rather have Hughes at 6.

His ODI runs have come all over the place plus his County numbers shows he can bat away from the MCG. He probably has made soft runs but hey what can he do when Hodge, David Hussey and Rogers keep making massive scores. Also hes made runs under pressure for Australia and like it or not the selectors will take into account your ODI performances. Yes he isn't screaming to the selectors to pick him but he definitely should be in contention with the other names.

I'd like Hughes at 6 too, hes now back in the runs and needs a thorough test from quality attacks.

I don't think Hughes should be rushed into the team. He's very young so why don't we wait until we play a worse team like Bangladesh or Pakistan again and play him in that to gradually make him go up through the countries until he can play South Africa, India and England.

Maybe not New Zealand but should play against Pakistan, that is whether or not Katich or Watson want to give up their spots.

I don't think Hughes should be rushed into the team. He's very young so why don't we wait until we play a worse team like Bangladesh or Pakistan again and play him in that to gradually make him go up through the countries until he can play South Africa, India and England.

He made 2 centuries against SA in SA on debut at 20 :doh

Maybe not New Zealand but should play against Pakistan, that is whether or not Katich or Watson want to give up their spots.

Why not NZ? I would rate Pakistan's attack better than NZ. Asif, Aamer, Gul, Kaneria vs Martin, Tuffey, McKay/Southee, Vettori.

When is the NZ Test squad announced?

Because NSW have another match on 3/3 and the 1st Test starts on 19/3. Hope Hughes gets another chance to impress.

Dude, playing Hughes would ruin him! He will be great, just not now!

Let him develop some sort of (consistent) leg side technique.

Dude, playing Hughes would ruin him! He will be great, just not now!

Let him develop some sort of (consistent) leg side technique.

Dude, he is already great. A champion just waiting to get a game.

At 21, he already is better than every domestic batsmen in the world.

A champion that would hide from 15 year olds bowling leg side.

He'd kill it in India though, on less bouncy decks.

I'd be looking for him to play some ODIs before he gets back into the test team.

Hughes doesn't have a leg side problem. :facepalm

He went to England and smoked their domestic competition, and is smoking in our bouncy pitches as well. Bowlers have bowled short to him and he easily avoided those deliveries.

And like most left handers, he is strong of his pads.

Users who are viewing this thread