Australian Domestic Cricket

I swear Hughes has the best timing! Always scores tons before a test tour, and did it before the Boxing Day test!

Hughes made the CricInfo front page :thumbs

Thats like appearing on Perez Hilton for a cricketer, hope the selectors make the right decision :upray

Whats the point of him touring when he wont even get a single game?? I doubt they'll take him as a reserve opener, but it doesnt really mean too much either way. The best thing is that he is in good form.

Whats the point of him touring when he wont even get a single game?? I doubt they'll take him as a reserve opener, but it doesnt really mean too much either way. The best thing is that he is in good form.

Not as a reserve opener but a reserve batsmen. He should be the #1 replacement. Hughes IMO can bat anywhere. You never know somebody might get injured.

Since it's in New Zealand we don't really have to pick a big squad. I wouldn't have him in.

The main reason because hes only done this for this season, he struggled to make the NSW team last season. And hes not anymore consistent than Hughes anyway, he has the same number of 100s and 50s, his average is only higher because of the not out and more runs in one of his 100s or 50s. Plus if you are going for a not renowned quick scorer then Klinger is your man.

You'd think he is a better bet than North though. And he has scored some big tons, and he isnt old or close to 30 like Klinger. White hasnt had many seasons as good as Cowan's.

White has been consistent- consistently poor. Look at the numbers yourself. White's stats hardly ensure he is next in line, he has been not even in the top 10 run scores in the last 5 years in the SS, same for Bailey, Cowan too. Rogers and Klinger stand out so much. I dont think the case for White at 6 is any more solid than North, Bailey, Cowan, Khawaja etc. You cant get into the Aussie test team scoring under 500 runs in a season, which White has done 4 times in the last 5 seasons, he's only had one good season, which wasnt even that great compared to the guys making 1000 runs+.

Top run scorers last 3 years

08/09 http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=4482;type=tournament

07/08 http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=3226;type=tournament

06/07 http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=2800;type=tournament

Robelinda added 13 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

I remember back in 03/04 before Michael Clarke made his test debut people were talking him up despite not doing anything in the Pura Cup, the 02/03 season he made 760 odd runs, which ended 18 months before his test debut so not really relevant. He had no right to earn his first in 04 on the back of his most recent previous first class stats, try and find his name on the top scorers that season

Pura Cup 2003/04: Batting - Most Runs

Last edited:
If averaging 50 is consistently poor then geez I would like to know what you consider to be okay. You can't go looking at the runs alone because White isn't in the top 4, how many of those batsmen at the top of the list bat at 5? And he hasn't played anywhere near the games some of the batters have. Are we going to ignore a guy because they are playing ODI cricket for Australia and thus don't get the chance to play more than 5 games for their state? The one season he actually had a decent run of games Cricket Records | Records | Pura Cup, 2007/08 | Most runs | Cricinfo.com he was easily in the top 10 in terms of runs and his average was better than Langer and Hodge.

Well we'll just see. His stats arent bad but they dont seem to demand his test selection. Plus check his record around the grounds, he dont do too well away from the MCG.....that was a flaw that stopped Bevan, Lehmann, Siddons, Law etc from playing more test cricket. Guys like Hayden and Ponting and Langer were great all over the country. White has been accused in the press many times here for making 'soft' runs. But hey if he can pull of being a top 6 batsmen for Australia i'll applaud him, it will be great to see. At the moment I think i'd rather have Hughes at 6.

Users who are viewing this thread