Australian Domestic Cricket

I guess looking back, Elliott and Gillespie were never in the running and it probably should have been given to Manou from the beginning. However, it was also felt at that point that Manou was himself on unsteady ground, having failed to be the preferred first class keeper in 06-07 and needed to produce some scores.

Well same would go for Adcock. He certainly wasn't a regular first grader and it showed with his performances. To give him captaincy puts the selectors in a hard place to drop him when he wasn't performing.
Dizzy only just retired don't know if he planned on doing that from the start of last season but he should have been given it.

NSW side for next season excluding the Australian contracted players
State Contracts: Aaron Bird, Mark Cameron, Burt Cockley, Ed Cowan, Scott Coyte, Peter Forrest, Nathan Hauritz, Moises Henriques, Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Grant Lambert, Greg Mail, Peter Nevill, Stephen O'Keefe, Ben Rohrer, Daniel Smith, Steven Smith, Dominic Thornely, David Warner.

Rookie Contracts: Daniel Burns, James Crosthwaite, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Henry, Joshua Lalor, Sam Robson, Mitchell Starc.

It's good to see we retained a number of our youngsters. What's Peter Nevill like? From Victoria

And WA's side is in as well...
CA Contracts: Michael Hussey, Shaun Marsh, Adam Voges.

State Contracts: David Bandy, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Arron Crawford, Liam Davis, Paul Davis, Brett Dorey, Theo Doropoulos, Ben Edmondson, Aaron Heal, Clint Heron, Matthew Johnston, Trent Kelly, Steve Magoffin, Marcus North, Luke Pomersbach, Wes Robinson, Luke Ronchi.

Rookies: Nicholas Death, Michael Johnson, Josh Mangan, Mitchell Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Chris Thompson, Christopher Wood.
Retirements: Gilchrist, Langer, Hogg, Inness, Wates
Tranfers: Rogers (Victoria)
Dropped: Ervine, Gillies, McLauchlan

The big news is that 16 year old Mitch Marsh, the younger brother of Shaun, has been awarded with a rookie contract.

As an u-15 in 2006, Marsh was prominent in taking WA to a Schoolboy's title with scores of 61, 40, 92*, 63 and 11. In addition to making the national u-15s side, he played u-19s for WA later in that year. In 07/08, he played in both the u-17s and u-19s championships.

Now you can gripe about the name getting you places, but young Mitch isn't just playing junior cricket; he's now playing colts and 1st grade cricket as well. Late last year, Marsh racked up a score of 165 for Fremantle Colts, featuring 16 sixes.

However, he's so talented that in this year or the next he may have to chose to enter the AFL draft over cricket. With the much more direct promotion structure, it has already provided the more tempting option to a lot of would-be cricketers. While a cricketer wouldn't expect to land a full contract before the age of 20 and might spend up to the age of 23 trying to break into a domestic cricket team, the AFL drafts players at 17 and 18, with players expecting to be making regular appearances by 20 and if not, delisted, but still with plenty of time to pursue cricket.

I'm hoping that Coulter-Nile gets few more games looks to be very promising. Mitchell Marsh is the better of the two Marsh brothers from what I hear so he'll be a good addition in the future.

It's good to see we retained a number of our youngsters. What's Peter Nevill like? From Victoria

yes its really good. Henriques, Warner, Khawaja, Steven Smith etc are all really good talents.

Can't say I know much about him, remember his name but never seen him play. Angry probably knows a bit about it.

Wonder if James Pattinson might get a go this year. Has he been playing in the Second XI at all?

Someone used to say that Nevill should have been getting a game over Crosthwaite, or was that one of the older players?

I don't think Pattinson has been playing 2nds, but he literally only turned 18 a fortnight ago. He has played Vic youths. He'd logically then play colts or u-19s, before the 2nd XI... god damn this structure.

Someone used to say that Nevill should have been getting a game over Crosthwaite, or was that one of the older players?

I don't think Pattinson has been playing 2nds, but he literally only turned 18 a fortnight ago. He has played Vic youths. He'd logically then play colts or u-19s, before the 2nd XI... god damn this structure.

I remember you guys saying you wanted that other keeper from Tassie over Crosthwaite. Nevill will have competition with Smith the incumbent without Haddin.

What a fantastic headline! anyone of out cricket wouldn't understand a word :D

The down-to-earth Hazlewood, who nudges 200cm in height

With puns like that, I'm starting to like Christian Nicolussi! :p

Damien Wright -> Victoria
Gerard Denton -> Tasmania
Looks like a virtual one for one trade with Denton set to go back to Tas and Wright signed for 1 year with Victoria.

I think Denton is a really good bowler when fit. While Wright's best has resulted in great fortunes for Tassie; and at his peak he was a contender for ODI selection; I'm not sure if he still has the... uh... right stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread