Story Australia's 2010-11 Summer [3rd Test, Day 1, Tea]

Finn did a very good job. Now its upto the batsmen to dominate the Aussie attack. I'm backing England to win.

ashes.JPG

Day 2 Wrap

Australia 310, 91.2 overs (MJ Clarke 126, MG Johnson 54*, RT Ponting 54, S Finn 4-66) defeated England 85, 23.4 overs (P Siddle 4-11) and 200 (Pietersen 55, Strauss 48, Doherty 4-31)

The hectic 2nd day of this first test began when Mitch Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus strolled out to the middle. Johnson batted out the first over of the day, bowled by Graeme Swann. Stuart Broad came on to bowl the next over and struck immediately. Hilfenhaus edged a wide one straight in to the hands of Trott at 3rd slip and the Australian innings was over. They were all out for a below par 310.

England then began their first innings. Hilfenhaus and Siddle shared the new ball and looked to be troubling the English openers. Hilfenhaus was swinging the ball away viciously and Siddle was bowling with genuine pace, averaging a tick over 140 KM/H. England’s first wicket fell in the 3rd over when Cook was bowled brilliantly by Ben Hilfenhaus. He was out for 1 and Australia had the upper hand at 1-7. Trott then came to the crease and put on just one run before the next wicket fell. Trott was trapped plumb LBW to Siddle for 1. At 2-8, England were in serious trouble.

Pietersen and Strauss looked solid for their 31 run partnership, but Pietersen eventually left a Watson in-swinger alone and was out bowled for 12. Collingwood was in and then out again after he drove Johnson straight in to the hands of Hussey at cover. When Ian Bell came to the crease, England were in massive trouble at 4-40. He needed to share a big partnership with the English captain, Andrew Strauss.

Bell and Strauss batted well to take England to drinks. Bell was on 23 and Strauss was on 19. England were 4-66 and needing something big. Unfortunately for England, Strauss and Bell only added 3 more runs to the total before Bell edged to North off Watson for 23. Prior then came to the crease and looked to be terribly out of form. He couldn’t time anything and was eventually bowled by Siddle for 4.

Strauss was holding up an end well, but his partners just couldn’t bat themselves in. Stuart Broad was the next man to go, LBW to Siddle for a duck. At 7-76 the possibility of following on beckoned.

We all know that Ponting is often hesitant about making teams follow on after VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid made Ponting rue the decision in 2001. However, Australia’s bowlers were bowling so well that it would be good idea to consider it.

Eventually Strauss was out cutting straight to Clarke at point and England’s innings was as good as over. Strauss’ 27 was a valuable contribution, but England really needed him to play a big innings.

Anderson and Finn were then both dismissed for ducks and England were all out for 85. Siddle was the best of the bowlers, taking 4/11 and Johnson was close behind taking 3/24.

As it was just before lunch and the Aussies wanted to get England on to the back foot, just before the break, Ricky Ponting enforced the follow-on.
The umpires declared that England had 4 overs to survive through, until the lunch interval. Hilfenhaus and Siddle bowled well, but Strauss and Cook batted calmly through the 4 overs to take the score to 0-11 at lunch.

After Lunch, the English openers didn’t add to their partnership as Cook edged a Hilfenhaus away swinger and Haddin took a comfortable catch behind the stumps. Strauss and Trott then added 57 runs for the 2nd wicket, before Trott was bowled by Watson for 22. At that stage, a collapse looked likely, however Strauss and Pietersen batted well to take the score to 2-78 at the drinks break.

After drinks, the debutant, Xavier Doherty was introduced in to the attack. He bowled solidly, but the English batsman played him with ease. That was, until his 3rd over, when he picked up his first test wicket. The danger-man, Strauss was beaten through the air and edged behind to Haddin. He was out for 48 and Doherty had made the breakthrough.

Collingwood had another shortened stay at the crease as he edged Hilfenhaus to Ponting at 2nd slip and was out for 6. Bell came to the crease and made a quick fire 20 before he edged to Katich at 2nd slip off the bowling of Hilfenhaus.

At tea, Pietersen and Prior were at the crease with the score at 5-129. Prior was on 1 and Pietersen was on 23. The key for England was Pietersen. If he made a big score, England were back in the game.

After tea, the England batting line-up fell to pieces. Prior and Pietersen added another 24 runs, before Prior flicked a straight Johnson ball to Clarke at square leg. He was out for 9 and England were 6-153. Broad and Pietersen added 27 runs for the 7th wicket before Pietersen drove Doherty straight in to the hands of Hussey at mid-on. Pietersen was out for 55 and England were no longer in the game.

The English tail showed little resistance. Swann made 2, Anderson 1 and Finn a duck. England were all out for just 200 and Australia had won the match by an innings and 25 runs. Michael Clarke was named man-of-the-match for his brilliant first innings hundred.

So, what will the 2nd test bring, England will be all fired up after being trampled on here in Brisbane. Australia on the other hand are in cracking form. Join us in Sydney for what promises to be an intruiging 2nd test.

michael-clarke-2009-7-19-13-42-9.jpg

Day 2 Highlights
(Warning 10 minute video)​

Scorecards:
Australia First Innings: Batting, Batting (Advanced), Bowling, Summary
England First Innings: Batting, Batting (Advanced), Bowling, Summary
England Second Innings: Batting, Batting (Advanced), Bowling, Summary

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to all who cannot watch the video. I'm sorry that I have made videos such a big part of my story. I will try to keep them to a minimum in the future.

Pathetic batting display by England. Conditions weren't that tough that a high quality batting side can collapse at paltry scores. Batsmen led England down.

Mate your story is great with or without the video

and....

I suggest you try show the video from the view you play it and the view it is on T.V will look more realistic and not from the stump view imo

Thumping win for Aussies here! Michael Clarke played a good knock, with Ponting scoring a responsible half century:).

The writing is just awesome, it can't get any better:thumbs.

ashes.JPG

Aussie Pace Duo Struck Down With Injury

Australian pacemen, Mitch Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus have both suffered injuries at training this week and have been ruled out of the upcoming 2nd test in Sydney. The pair were devastated to learn the news after they both bowled well in the first test.

Ryan Harris, Doug Bollinger and Mitch Starc have been called up to the Aussie squad to cover for the injured quickies. Harris and Bollinger were obvious selections, but the inclusion of New South Welshmen, Mitch Starc, has baffled the cricketing public.

When confronted by the Aussie media, young Starc told the journos that he was excited to be given an opportunity.

"It's been by lifelong dream to wear the baggy green, so naturally I'm over the moon" an ecstatic Start told the media,
"Ever since my One Day debut in India I've felt a chance at test selection, so I'm glad my chance has come" he said, when asked whether he saw his surprise selection coming.

While the up and coming pacers get an opportunity to impress in Sydney, the news from the Australian medical staff is not good. Johnson has broken his finger and is expected to miss both the 2nd and 3rd tests. Hilfenhaus, on the other hand has only a minor back strain and will probably be back for the third test.

Mitchell-Johnson415.jpg

"Johnson Celebrates A Wicket"​

Excellent stuff, Tim! :clap From the starting of the story to now, there has been immense improvement. The presentation has indeed improved, it can certainly be better but keeping in mind that you use ICC10 and cannot take in game screenshots, the presentation is good. Writing has always been excellent. Good going, Tim! :)

I suggest you try show the video from the view you play it and the view it is on T.V will look more realistic and not from the stump view imo

Yeah I agree it looks a bit unprofessional from the action cam view, but if you have played the game (IC2010) you will realize how much fun it is to play using action cam compared to the broadcast cam. I'll try and play a bit in broadcast came, but it is honestly not nearly as fun as playing with action cam.

Also, unfortunately there is no manual replay button in IC2010 and the auto-replays a rubbish. When I play, I just leave my camera rolling and edit it later. What you see in the videos is what I saw when I was actually playing. They aren't replays.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree it looks a bit unprofessional from the action cam view, but if you have played the game (IC2010) you will realize how much fun it is to play using action cam compared to the broadcast cam. I'll try and play a bit in broadcast came, but it is honestly not nearly as fun as playing with action cam.

Also, unfortunately there is no manual replay button in IC2010 and the auto-replays a rubbish. When I play, I just leave my camera rolling and edit it later. What you see in the videos is what I saw when I was actually playing. They aren't replays.

It's up to you , I find it hard to see when you play in that view

I am looking forward to the next update

Yeah, I'm looking forward to my next update too. I'm having trouble trying to find time to play as I'm back at school. I was also thinking of doing daily wraps similar to my last update instead of updates every 15 overs. What would people think about this?

----------

Just realized, 100 posts, Yay!

ashes.JPG

2nd Test: Sydney, Australia v England (3 December 2010)

Hello and welcome to the 2nd Ashes test here in Sydney. It seems a relief to finally be back at the cricket after such a hectic week off the field! Mitch Starc has been called up to the Aussie squad following the injuries of Johnson and Hilfenhaus. The English press has called for the sacking of Andrew Strauss as captain, the Aussie fitness team is under fire and the people of Queensland are preparing for what is expected to be some of the wildest weather in a century.

This match is simply a must win for England. They will be down on confidence after their demoralizing performance in the first test. Alastair Cook (1 & 4 in Brisbane) and Paul Collingwood (1 & 6) will need to perform in this test as they are terribly out of form.

Australia, on the other hand will be full of confidence. Their batting line up looks strong as Michael Clarke (126) and Ricky Ponting (54) have batted themselves in to some form. However, the Aussie bowling attack is significantly weakened by the loss of Johnson and Hilfenhaus. It will be interesting to see how they go, minus two of their best pacemen.

Both sides released their teams this morning and there are no real suprises. After all the hype during the week, Mitch Starc ended up missing out on selection, with Ryan Harris and Dougie Bollinger getting the nod. England have named an unchanged lineup. Here are the teams:

Australia
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Harris
Doherty
Siddle
Bollinger

England
Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

Toss:

So, finally we are ready to get underway. England have won the toss and elected to bat on hard, flat, batsman's deck. Strauss and Cook are out in the middle. Dougie Bollinger has the new ball in his hand and is raring to go. Will England fight hard and level the series 1-1? Or will Australia continue their dominance? Stay tuned for more news from the SCG.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread