• Cameron Bancroft

• Daniel Hughes

• Aaron Finch

Results are only viewable after voting.

BigHussey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
West Indies
After re-watching the 2018-19 Indian test tour of Australia , the 2019 Ashes Series and 2019-20 Tests between Pakistan and New Zealand in Australia , I've noticed Australia has a major problem in selecting who opens the batting. The Openers ever since Chris Rodgers retired in 2015 or actually the retirement of Matthew Hayden in 2009 , The opening partnership has been weak despite Warner picking up from during the 2019-20 Summer (but that was against a rebuilding Pakistan team). Personally , I believe that the statistics don't reflect the quality of The Australian batsmen and the best combo that has to improve for the future in particular against India at home should be Joe Burns and David Warner. What are your guys thoughts on this dilemma ? Should Bancroft , Marcus Harris or Usman get a recall ?

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Funny how Warner's brash style and temperament was initially not considered appropriate for Test cricket, but now he's had over 10 different opening partners since his debut.

Perhaps Marcus Harris deserves another nod, his technique is a bit of a throwback to Justin Langer and he did pretty well in his debut series against India. I think he's been unlucky not to have been given more opportunities.

BigHussey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
West Indies
Funny how Warner's brash style and temperament was initially not considered appropriate for Test cricket, but now he's had over 10 different opening partners since his debut.

Perhaps Marcus Harris deserves another nod, his technique is a bit of a throwback to Justin Langer and he did pretty well in his debut series against India. I think he's been unlucky not to have been given more opportunities.

Yeah it was great to witness David Warner coming up from an unorthodox T20 background , Marcus Harris has a sound technique but consistency is an issue for me.

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
Yeah it was great to witness David Warner coming up from an unorthodox T20 background , Marcus Harris has a sound technique but consistency is an issue for me.
What are you your opinions on Matt Renshaw? I think he was brought in off the back of around 10 first class games (then again so was Warner) still he managed to score 184 against Pakistan which is a monumental achievement especially given his age at the time. He's had the chance to gain some more experience on the domestic circuit but looks like Burns and Aaron Finch have pipped him for CA contracts this year. Judging by which the selectors have decided Burns-Warner is the preferred option for the time being it seems.

BigHussey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
West Indies
What are you your opinions on Matt Renshaw? I think he was brought in off the back of around 10 first-class games (then again so was Warner) still he managed to score 184 against Pakistan which is a monumental achievement especially given his age at the time. He's had the chance to gain some more experience on the domestic circuit but looks like Burns and Aaron Finch have pipped him for CA contracts this year. Judging by which the selectors have decided Burns-Warner is the preferred option for the time being it seems.

Matt Renshaw, in my opinion, needs to take a sabbatical from cricket like Glenn Maxwell to clear up his mental health and reflect on life (assisted by the lockdown) as I think he's got the right technique and skill to be a successful opener but there may be personal mental demons hindering his performance. After the sabbatical, Matthew should look sign with W.A or S.A domestic cricket along with playing County cricket to build form. Honestly, he shouldn't be playing in the BBL but if he does I think he should focus on batting and stop bowling offies. I would like to see Matt wearing the baggy green again as his young and talented. Only time will tell :) .

In terms of CA contracts , the quality players whom missed a contract like Usman and Peter Handscomb is another debate. Hopefully Burns and Warner put on a show against India this summer.

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  • I'm really not a fan of Marcus Harris at all, he looks like a walking wicket on several occasions whose domestic numbers are partly due to him playing on the absolute roads that constitute pitches in Victoria. I have to admit that he has a decent attacking game in him but then again, it is of no use if he is dismissed before he settles down.
  • Not too sure but Hughes as I haven't seen him play, but Finch should definitely never be the opening spot again. The documentary that the Aussies released show clearly that the idea of Finch as an opener was haphazard and IMO they've blown away a chance to have a single captain for all three formats by not trying Finch in his natural role as a middle order bat.
  • Bancroft still appears to me like a pick of favoritism. Excellent close fielder and can defend decently but he has some real issues with his technique. I believe he has potential to improve a lot though and he should be kept in the setup for this purpose.
  • Khawaja's poor form in the Shield has no doubt contributed to his loss of a CA contract. I think he should have been tried as an opener versus India instead of Finch but he had his golden opportunity to be the star of the team with the sandpaper saga but only one (admittedly all-time great) century is poor returns from him. I don't think Langer prefers him that much either from what I saw on the documentary.
  • I agree that Renshaw is in need of a break but his current predicament is partly due to mismanagement by the board. He should have received an extended run in the team when he was bossing it in county cricket but ignoring him at that moment led to a subsequent loss in form. It looks like he will be staying put at Queensland at the moment though, a move to South Australia could have really revitalized his career. His current team's pitches are quite bowler friendly and SA's roads could have been far better for a player recovering his confidence and form. As for the BBL, I think Renshaw has realized that he isn't going to be back in the test team setup anytime soon and so has to make ends meet. A batting all-rounder role in the BBL for a team that lacks bowling options doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world as he does seem to have picked up some tricks to play more aggressively.
  • Burns is another one who has been mismanaged terribly. He should have received an extended run as the opener after proving himself and even if he wasn't too impressive last season, he works well with Warner and that partnership should not be disturbed. Speaking of Warner, while he had a horror Ashes performance his record in England prior to that was decent and his general away numbers are okay-ish in the current era given that almost no team seems to have a truly world-class opener who travels well (maybe Latham is the only one? Barring the usual Kiwi capitulation in Australia, his numbers elsewhere are respectable) and Warner's dominant record at home and in South Africa. He should pretty much be a lock for the next two years.

BigHussey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
West Indies
  • Bancroft still appears to me like a pick of favoritism. Excellent close fielder and can defend decently but he has some real issues with his technique. I believe he has potential to improve a lot though and he should be kept in the setup for this purpose.

Hahah , Yes JL has to look after his Western Australian boys. JL probably he's great potential in him. But he needs build up technique and pick up the lengths and movements of the ball against quality international bowlers on pitches over than the flat hard pitches of Australia. Ultimately , I think Cameron's dip in form during the Ashes has been significantly impacted by the Tampering incident and the hostile English crowds.

It looks like he will be staying put at Queensland at the moment though

I dont think Queensland will renew his contract for next summers domestic season.

Speaking of Warner, while he had a horror Ashes performance his record in England prior to that was decent and his general away numbers are okay-ish in the current era given that almost no team seems to have a truly world-class opener who travels well (maybe Latham is the only one? Barring the usual Kiwi capitulation in Australia, his numbers elsewhere are respectable) and Warner's dominant record at home and in South Africa. He should pretty much be a lock for the next two years.

Agreed Warner is touchable after winning the A.B medal and scoring 335* in Adelaide. But on the other hand he's getting old and this summer will be the greatest test for him against India to improve his legacy. Hopefully he has learnt from JL that here is a line between Banter and abuse , so hopefully he lets his Spartan do the talking similar to Virat.

Kohli_5.png

Users who are viewing this thread