Batting by Numbers ? why the AI Batting in AC09 is flawed

ronaldo7777

PC Journalism Contest Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
Batting by Numbers ? why the AI Batting in AC09 is flawed

I've been attempting to play this game for a while, and it only struck me tonight as to how the offline AI batting is built on a system which foundations are flawed. This problem is batting by numbers.

For a moment let me begin by saying that I haven't really had much of a chance to test the multiplayer game online. Mainly because I cannot seem to connect to the game. However, logically speaking an extended run on this would probably allow me to enjoy the game more because the AI batting problems wouldn't exist.

The main issue with this is that the AI has one gear. This gear is based on two things, what kind of delivery is bowled (you'll notice that you can bowl two identical deliveries at different ends of the bowling meter ? the one nearest the bright green area of it will get more respect) and where the ball is pitched.

If you bowl a ball that it calls a bad ball (ie the dark green) it will smash it (regardless if its based on the bowling meter, or where the ball is pitched. If it deems the ball to be better (ie the light green) it will on the whole treat it with more respect.

The first problem with this issue is that what is considers a bad delivery is far too wide. The bowling meter issue one isn't one I particularly like, it doesn't make a lot of sense that the same delivery would get different treatment based around where you land the icon. But, this does encourage you to get the meter towards the ?money zone?.

The second is that the bowling areas for bad balls are far too wide, and in the wrong places. You bowl just a little wide, or a bit short, and you'll get the treatment. This actually (hear me out here) is a good idea. But, as is, it makes the game unplayable.

The simple reason is the AI fails at all to bat to the situation. This is what I was getting at with the one gear problem. Regardless of whether the first ball in a test match, or the last ball of a T20, it looks to play a lofted shot to every bad ball going. There's no adapatation to the situation.

And this is what causes the problems. Its why you get the AI leaving a ball in last over of a T20, and its why the AI will smash a ball for six in the first over of a test match, because it bats by numbers. If a ball is in one spot, it has to go ? regardless of whether its 20/5, or whether its 300/0. Equally, if you need a six to win the game, you can bowl a length ball (well what AC09 sees as a length ball) and you'll win the game.

It makes the bowling boring for me too. I know that I can stop the AI scoring by dropping the ball on a specific point. Its one of the many problems with this game, and it just ruins the game. Because bowling isn't exiting, its just simply dropping the ball in the correct spot (I know thats part of a good bowling test match innings) but its far too simplistic to ever be taken seriously right now.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
That's odd. I've bowled loads of 'dark green' balls (but they were in the 'right' areas as far as real life is concerned) and they left/defended a lot of them. Hard mode, of course.

jamershepp

School Cricketer
I dont always go in the light green areas id o try and mix it up alitte but doesent seem to make the ai better i just wish the ai woud bat like the way two of the aussie tailenders batted earlier in my match about 30 and 20 odd off about 70 odd balls played very sensible if some one like ponting played like this he would contribute at least 100 odd runs.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Damn Aussie tailenders!! They must have put on about 50 for the last wicket...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
just wish the top end would bat this way.

I'm pretty certain that if the P.C. guys can edit the game, they can close the gap between the topend and tailend performance. Not sure if that'll help Xbox 360 - Transmission and their patch might be your only hope.

Ashes 2005 re-run on ESPN Classic right now! 2005 forever!!!!

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Making a patch is not a quick process as it has to go through QA for quite some time. The TG boys seem to still be monitoring the forums, so I wouldn't say that we should lose hope.

Benny

School Cricketer
Game is pretty impressive, of course their are issues and bugs but thats expected.

During my recent ODI's, I bowled out both England and Sri Lanka with their run rate under 4.5 on normal. Overall their were only 3 run outs. Sometimes there appears to be a run out bug but I've only found this in 20-20s when you go for extra runs.
The LBW's is a problem. I had 7-8 plum appeals and non given, bizarre.

Brook

Club Captain
The LBW's is a problem. I had 7-8 plum appeals and non given, bizarre.

It's probably the 'inside edge', where it apparently hits the inside edge, but doesn't show it, or it could have hit outside the line.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's probably the 'inside edge', where it apparently hits the inside edge, but doesn't show it, or it could have hit outside the line.

Yes, there are 'invisible' edges which cause most LBWs to be given as edges. In other words, LBWs are broken along with edges behind.

Users who are viewing this thread