Batting gameplay & online play

007avenger007

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok, so first off... When MattW said this was the best Cricket game to date I was a bit skeptic... Then when the update came out i went straight to the nets... There was no bowling option but cmon its a free sample... So the first 5 or 7 balls or so i was pretty confused on how the whole controls work... Was frustrated a bit but then started to get a hang of it... I gotta say so far... It's pretty epic! It's extremely fun and playing different kinds of spin was really challenging...the whole thing is to just figure out how the system works and then let your brain work out the timing... Eventually i pretty much mastered the timing on legend difficulty yet still the batting feels awesome... although one thing came across my mind... The whole thing is about timing and watching the direction of the ball... But, due to the existence of the dreaded "latency" i wonder how it will fair for online play... This is a pretty scary thought cause when playing worldwide there's gonna be a lot of ping issues cause cross countries ping is never <200ms... So basically that's 200ms lag between pressing a button and the ingame feed-back...
BigAnt has obviously thought about this issue and I feel like i desperately need some clarity on it...

Ross ?

P.S. The batting gameplay i've seen so far is just EPIC...nuff said... can't w8 for the full game...

phani001

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I Agree..... Awesome graphics this game has and the camera angles for batting are superb....After considerable amount of practice in Legend mode, I have learnt at least to defend the ball without getting an edge whatsoever.....

D

Deleted member 9102

I Agree..... Awesome graphics this game has and the camera angles for batting are superb....After considerable amount of practice in Legend mode, I have learnt at least to defend the ball without getting an edge whatsoever.....
A post so good you made it twice.

micgrech

Club Captain
Haveing so much fun in the nets now I can't wait for the release even more! I feel like the spoilt little brat in Charlie and the chocolate Factory! Think her name was Varouka Salt!

"C'mon Ross, I want DBC14 now"

"You will get it once released, my friend"

"No Ross, I don't care how, BUT I WANT IT NOW!":lol

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ok, so first off... When MattW said this was the best Cricket game to date I was a bit skeptic... Then when the update came out i went straight to the nets... There was no bowling option but cmon its a free sample... So the first 5 or 7 balls or so i was pretty confused on how the whole controls work... Was frustrated a bit but then started to get a hang of it... I gotta say so far... It's pretty epic! It's extremely fun and playing different kinds of spin was really challenging...the whole thing is to just figure out how the system works and then let your brain work out the timing... Eventually i pretty much mastered the timing on legend difficulty yet still the batting feels awesome... although one thing came across my mind... The whole thing is about timing and watching the direction of the ball... But, due to the existence of the dreaded "latency" i wonder how it will fair for online play... This is a pretty scary thought cause when playing worldwide there's gonna be a lot of ping issues cause cross countries ping is never <200ms... So basically that's 200ms lag between pressing a button and the ingame feed-back...
BigAnt has obviously thought about this issue and I feel like i desperately need some clarity on it...

Ross ?

P.S. The batting gameplay i've seen so far is just EPIC...nuff said... can't w8 for the full game...

OK. So you're a smart guy, you've hit the nail on the head with regard to multiplayer :)

We know at the point of the ball leaving the hand what the delivery will be and where it will land so we can send that to the "batting" side. At that point for the "bowling" side we slow time, during this initial slowdown the bowler sees the ball in slow motion for a few frames as it leaves his hand. It then catches up to real time almost straight away. This means we should not have laggy play.

The key is that the batsman never sees any slowdown and has the delivery at the exact pace it should be, the bowler only sees a slowdown as it leaves their hand (which does not effect gameplay).

The time going across the net has to be accommodated for and the speeds at which we bowl etc require this sort of solution.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
What if the bowler wants to apply swing or spin AFTER delivering?

I can't remember the exact controls for bowling but was under the impression that the spin controls comes in after delivering the ball.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I can't remember the exact controls for bowling but was under the impression that the spin controls comes in after delivering the ball.
No, spin is applied during your run up. It's not BLIC2005 where you can nudge the delivery across to the other side of the pitch after releasing it.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant

As MattW says.

Most balls don't have a remote control :)

sportzfan

School Cricketer
Ross, i am impressed that you guys have thought about the lag time for multiplayer mode of the game. This has always been an issue in the past with some games.

007avenger007

Club Captain
OK. So you're a smart guy, you've hit the nail on the head with regard to multiplayer :)

We know at the point of the ball leaving the hand what the delivery will be and where it will land so we can send that to the "batting" side. At that point for the "bowling" side we slow time, during this initial slowdown the bowler sees the ball in slow motion for a few frames as it leaves his hand. It then catches up to real time almost straight away. This means we should not have laggy play.

The key is that the batsman never sees any slowdown and has the delivery at the exact pace it should be, the bowler only sees a slowdown as it leaves their hand (which does not effect gameplay).

The time going across the net has to be accommodated for and the speeds at which we bowl etc require this sort of solution.

Wow! awesome that you guys already thought this through completely:D
Just one question though ... It sounds good on paper... But how did it actually work out in practice? I mean it sounds like that part is all controlled directly by the server and not an actual part of the game data... So it could be hindered by server lag or errors??? Is that so or am i just thinking too much?

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

So you bowl the ball, then you realise you are going to get smashed for 6 so out of nowhere you stop and stare at the bowl and with a force-like manner manage to make the bowl do an impossible change and swing/spin in and the batsmen gets bowled? Yip should be added because of how common it is in real life

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Wow! awesome that you guys already thought this through completely:D
Just one question though ... It sounds good on paper... But how did it actually work out in practice? I mean it sounds like that part is all controlled directly by the server and not an actual part of the game data... So it could be hindered by server lag or errors??? Is that so or am i just thinking too much?

We tried many iterations before we got it right, I think it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread