Best Allrounder of all time

Good point Sami.
And Sifter I was not arguing over the inclusion of Miller on the list, just that he could not make it to the top. Who can have him above Sobers, Khan, Botham, Kallis and even Hadlee or Dev??
Oh and Miller's stats are actually very good, that is why many people try and rate him alongside the other greats. He averaged 36 with the bat and only 22 with the ball. Almost 3000 runs with 7 centuries and 170 wickets with 7 five-fors and a ten wicket haul too.

Well I'm arguing that Miller should be in the mix for #1. He shouldered more responsibility than everyone else on that list with his dual talents. To me he was just as talented as Sobers, he just didn't last as long. Miller's top 5 or 6 at the very least.

Trouble is that everyone has Sobers blinkers on when it comes to all-rounders. He was a great player, but I can't see how he's streets ahead of the others. He was a great batsman who held up an end with the ball. Handy, but hardly a god.

I think what makes people go for Sobers is that he could bowl 3 arts reasonably well at TEST level, in addition to being able to field everywhere.

I would include Miller in my top 6. Like I said, the people who actually saw him play, they rate him very highly. And who am I to argue when all I've got is the cricinfo stats page.

My top 6:

I Khan / G Sobers / I Botham
J Kallis
K Miller
C Cairns

1-imran khan
2-gary sobers
3-jacques kallis

All the ARs are good in their own ways. In today's cricketing world(I mean from the past 5 years), I feel the top ARs are Jacques Kallis, Shane Watson, Shaun Pollock and Andrew Flintoff. Ah, Tendo and Shakib have been great too. But they go unnoticed just because they play for minnows.

And as far as rating an AR as the best of all time goes, I'd go for (in no order) Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Sir Gary Sobers, Sir Ian Botham and Keith Miller. And these can be considered as the best not only because of their batting and bowling skills; they were amazingly successful as captains, could handle pressure and face the media too(back in the days, it wasnt so easy).

Its Imran Khan.People like Garry"I bowl every style crapily"Sobers would not get even a single ball to bowl in an alltime XI because of the presence of people like Marshall,Wasim,McGrath,Hadlee,Imran etc.The reason is everyone has to bat but everyone doesn't have to bowl.

I'm going to stick up for mike procter.

talk about the greatest openers and no one minds going on about barry 4 tests richards cause of his county record but procter played for years in the same county era, scored nearly 50 hundreds, 100 50s and maintained a bowling average under 20. his bowling average from his 7 tests is 15.

Its Imran Khan.People like Garry"I bowl every style crapily"Sobers would not get even a single ball to bowl in an alltime XI because of the presence of people like Marshall,Wasim,McGrath,Hadlee,Imran etc.The reason is everyone has to bat but everyone doesn't have to bowl.

Ha do you just come on planetcricket to regurgitate this codswallop point of view of yours about Sobers??

Ha do you just come on planetcricket to regurgitate this codswallop point of view of yours about Sobers??

Steady :p...that's kinda my view too, but just not as extreme. Sobers = Steady bowler and very adaptable, but nothing more IMHO. I think his bowling generally gets overrated a bit and his batting underrated. To me, he probably makes a top 5 batsman list even if he couldnt' bowl.

he probably makes a top 5 batsman list even if he couldnt' bowl.

same, the all-rounder spot sometimes just seems a cover so it's not too hard to fit him in to all-time XIs.

best 5 west indies batsmen in order anyone?

I'd say the 5 are Headley, Lara, Richards, Sobers and the 5th one begins with a W.

and that still leaves out Kanhai

same, the all-rounder spot sometimes just seems a cover so it's not too hard to fit him in to all-time XIs.

best 5 west indies batsmen in order anyone?

I'd say the 5 are Headley, Lara, Richards, Sobers and the 5th one begins with a W.

and that still leaves out Kanhai

Wallcott?

I think Sobers was a great allrounder, similar to Kallis in that his batting was better than his bowling, but he has over 200 test wickets, which would be invaluable to any test side, especially since he can bat exceptionally well too. He retired the highest run getter in the history of test cricket and one of it's highest wicket takers too. Can't want more than that.
My top 5 WI batsmen in no particular order:
Richards
Sobers
Lara
Greenidge
Headley

A wicket Keeper-batsman is also an allrounder . Right ?

:D

But I do not see any WK in this discussion. Gilchrist ? Dhoni ?

Users who are viewing this thread