Best antivirus

:eek: 100% Hmm, I will download that then if you insist.

Do post to let me know how it works. I have had AVG for years now but wouldn't mind trying something new.

Also, does anybody know of a free firewall that works with Vista? I have ZoneAlarm for my desktop that has XP but it doesn't work on Vista.

^Yeah.
I got McAffe Free from my ISP for my laptop.
If you have comcast, you can go to Comcast.Net and get it. Quite good.
The Norton thing is expiring on my desktop though, so i'll be trying out AVG or something soon...

Has anyone tried BitDefender if yes how is it. How is the usage like easy, medium or hard

BD is really easy to use, nothing hard about it really.

I too am looking for a free Vista firewall. Since my old one, Comodo firewall isn't compatible I'm left with no firewall.

AVG vs Avast!

Here is my own comparison between AVG & Avast! both Free Editions and I have also got a my personal review on both of them.

AVG / Avast! (Comparison)

Freeware - Yes / Yes
VB 100% - Yes / Yes
E-mail Scanner - Yes / Yes
Anti Spyware/Malware - No / Yes
Decent Scanning speed - Yes / Yes
Web Protection - No / Yes
Included FireWall - No / No
Standard Shield - Yes / Yes
P2P Protection - No / Yes

Review

Note: This review is based on my personal experience with both the products.

I have used both the products for a while now and I feel ready to give a review. Talking about AVG first it doesn't need much just download & install n you are ready to use it doesn't require any registration it can update automatically but displays a pop-up window while the process of the Update in on the thing which disappointed me is it doesn't include any Anti Spyware which demands for a AVG Antispyware (FE) to be installed its usage may seem difficult for a amateur but it isn't that hard. Now turning to Avast! this software has really impressed me After you download this you need to register for a 14 Month Registration key from Avast but the registration is totally free and after your 14 Months subscription is over you can renew your license for free. To the main it has a decent scanning speed and its skins are customizable this feature enables new users to operate this software quite easily to the features if you leave a Firewall it has all the features of a Internet Security suite including Web shield, Antispyware etc. If you are looking for a free Security software I recommend Avast!

My Ratings:

AVG : 6.5 / 10
Avast! : 8.2 / 10

Here is my own comparison between AVG & Avast! both Free Editions and I have also got a my personal review on both of them.

AVG / Avast! (Comparison)

Freeware - Yes / Yes
VB 100% - Yes / Yes
E-mail Scanner - Yes / Yes
Anti Spyware/Malware - No / Yes
Decent Scanning speed - Yes / Yes
Web Protection - No / Yes
Included FireWall - No / No
Standard Shield - Yes / Yes
P2P Protection - No / Yes

Review
I will say it once again, Avast! is an antivirus, and not an antispyware (as far as I know anyway), the best option to quarantine (or prevent) spywares would be to have an antispyware such as Ad-Aware.

By the way, how does Avira AntiVir fare against others? The On-demand comparative from AV-Comaratives for August 2007 shows that both AVG and Avira beat Avast! by a large margin, scoring Advanced+ while Avast! only scored in the Advanced level. Now I know that the compared products were the paid versions of the articles, but would the same apply to the free version of the antiviruses as well?

I don't bother with free antivirus softwares. The best ones currently are the paid ones. I have NOD32 and it pretty much does the job for me. I don't require an anti-spyware because it takes care of them.

I don't bother with free antivirus softwares. The best ones currently are the paid ones. I have NOD32 and it pretty much does the job for me. I don't require an anti-spyware because it takes care of them.

Of course you are right Abhinav, but for many people free softwares proves quite sufficient, there may be even some who cannot afford a security suite/antivirus.
Here's a comparison of Antivirus Softwares from TopTenReviews for the year of 2007, and according to their review, BitDefender comes in 1st, Kaspersky 2nd, and ESE Nod32 3rd in place.

I will say it once again, Avast! is an antivirus, and not an antispyware (as far as I know anyway), the best option to quarantine (or prevent) spywares would be to have an antispyware such as Ad-Aware.

By the way, how does Avira AntiVir fare against others? The On-demand comparative from AV-Comaratives for August 2007 shows that both AVG and Avira beat Avast! by a large margin, scoring Advanced+ while Avast! only scored in the Advanced level. Now I know that the compared products were the paid versions of the articles, but would the same apply to the free version of the antiviruses as well?
It does have an Anti-Spyware.

It does have an Anti-Spyware.

Nowhere in the features overview section on Avast! Home Edition section does it state that Avast! has an in-built antispyware. I myself use Avast! Home Edition as a matter of fact. However, if you can prove me wrong, I will be more than happy to admit my mistake.

BD and Kaspersky are always at the top of the lists these days. It's a shame AOL took of their spin off which was the free version of Kaspersky. That was the best free anti-virus with ease as it used the Kaspersky virus database.

Whatever you guys say Kaspersky is no 1 for me anytime. Any review puts it on 2nd or 3rd it doesn't matter for me its the best. If you see a review BD is at no 1 bcoz it has a Startup Registry scanner thats it otherwise Kaspersky rocks.

I tried out BitDefender... it was really really good in virus detection, but could not repair any of them...

on my sister's laptop, it renamed essential windows files without the user's permission, which resulted in the windows crashing. (i realised this, after i installed windows again on another partition... the various files and folders were renamed thus : *.bdren - i assume this refers to BitDefender Rename or something like that....)

What i was really impressed about is, that it could detect all those viruses, and also, blocked the files from being opened.
I am really dissapointed about it acting on its own, without even giving me the list of viruses or asking me what to do...

I have tried the Kaspersky Online scanner, and i find it prety good as well...

Users who are viewing this thread