Best captain

J

jeromedascorp

Ill just have one final word on this. If the wins by a team under a captain dont count for anything, then wat really does count for good captaincy?

C

chiraz

Originally posted by adi123@Mar 29 2004, 10:56 PM
Once you cheat , you forfit your right to be considered a good captain

Cronje and Azzar are NOT good captains...how many of there achievements can be considered "real"

Match fixers get what they deserve!!!!

they ruin a game i consider to be one of the greatest ever invented

All the victories under them are real
U can question the defeats
That proves that they captained the team to more wins than defeats an weere the most successful captains for India & SA
They were good captains
SA was as good as the present AUSSIE side under cronje and BOB WOOLMER
Did anyone notice that ?
They did not lose many games, I can tell u that !
Even herschelle gibbs said that he wud dedicate his world cup performance to cronje and that he was not able to forget the support he got from cronje .

Cronje was honest enough to accept his fault
Please appreciate him for that
He has passed away now. May his soul rest in peace
please do not insult him time and again
i question any of their achievements....

they have NO rights in a cricket forum....they shame any honest players in the world!!!

just because cronje has passed away does not change my opinion of him

R

rasi

Cronje, for his captaincy, is my favourite cricketer. But, what he did was wrong, and he shouldn't have done that.

But that incident cannot deny the fact that South Africa emerged as one of the best under his captaincy.

Z

zaf1986

Originally posted by jeromedascorp@Mar 30 2004, 01:55 AM
Ill just have one final word on this. If the wins by a team under a captain dont count for anything, then wat really does count for good captaincy?
Good question :D

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A good tatical brain and playing within the laws and the spirit of the game.

In any case no captain will ever be as good as Mike Brearley. Probably the only man in history who could be picked solely for his captaincy skills.

Z

zaf1986

In any case no captain will ever be as good as Mike Brearley. Probably the only man in history who could be picked solely for his captaincy skills.

The same could be said for Imran Khan. :D

R

ricky123

Originally posted by andrew_nixon79@Mar 31 2004, 03:44 AM
A good tatical brain and playing within the laws and the spirit of the game.

:D same goes for gangully he does nothing else just captain the side ,he is in such a bad form he should have been out of the side long back, but just cuz he is the captain ,he is in the side

I

indyan

The main prob with him is lack pf confidence.
He seems to have lost all faith in his ability to play short pitched delivery.

I am sure that he has the ability.He showed it in Brisbane.

R

ricky123

B) i think he gives more time to youngters then himself ,thats y i hate him ,

cuz i am really a big fan of gangully,and he lets me down everytime

I

indyan

Ricky I remember that u made this point once before.

But remember that no one dislikes the fact that he is not getting runs more than himself.
He is still working very hard at his game.

You saw that he is still timing the ball.He just needs to get confidence and be a bit patient.

i dont know bout the best captain in the world but ganguly is definitely the best indian captain ever.

B

Bilal

I think Ganguly is a great captain for India.In all time it should be Imran khan.

T

tosh1981

ganguly is a great leader, but he isnt a very good tactician at all...

dravid in time will be the best captain... although he wont get much time...

if we had a slightly better captain, we would have won the test series in australia...
the advantage we had and threw away in the last test was down to gangulys lack of guts and conviction in making decisions and taking chances...

dravid faced a similar situation in multan and did much, much better than ganguly...

ganguly has brought in guts and confidence to the current team - i maintain that he is a great leader, but lacking tactically, somewhat...

the worst captain today has to be inzammam...
in the first odi - he had to ask the umpire how many overs certain bowlers had remaining...
the fourth odi was lost by purel by inzammam and his failure to go for the jugular...

ive heard a lot about stephen fleming being the best captain today... he really has done well - but its only been since the maturing of people like vettori, and the emergence of tuffey and bond that he has started looking good as a captain... so maybe its not all in his brain, but also that new zealand finally has some world class performers (NZ are one of my fav sides, btw - epitome of a team - and highly under-rated today)

steve waugh will have to be one of the best captains ever...
the impact he left on the game is resounding...

he has done impossible things - win impossible matches both with his captaincy and with his performances (just take a look at the 99wc highlights for both)

graeme smith is actually turning out to be a good captain...
i was sceptical at first, and its still early days, but so far the decision seems to be a good one... pollock seemed to be lacking something during his captaincy days - both as a leader and as a bowler...

my ratings of best captains today

-ponting
-fleming
-smith
-streak
-ganguly
-lara
-attapatu/hashan
-inzy

cant comment on the england captains because i havent seen enough of them...

best captains i have seen (since about 1990)

-steve waugh
-imran
-border
-ranatunga
-fleming
-ponting
-taylor
-hansie
-azhar
-lee germon (laugh at this if u will - he may not have been very effective as a player - but he was a great captain)

for sa, aus and nz - the captaincy is in safe hands for a while now...
for england the future is flintoff - the guy is a brilliant cricker - they finally have a superstar after so many years
for india - its dravid - once they find a decent wicket keeper for the ODI's - he cant be keeper, batsman and captain (later on, kaif will make a great captain)
for pakistan - its yohanna
for windies - sarwan looks the most likely choice...
i think sri lanka is badly in decline right now... they dont seem to be producing any good cricketers anymore...
ditto for zimbabwe - but lets hope taibu can deal with this immense responsibility... i really wish the kid performs - i am studying with a friend from zimbabwe who knows taibu personally and played with him regularly...

I

indyan

Originally posted by Bilal@Apr 22 2004, 02:11 PM
I think Ganguly is a great captain for India.In all time it should be Imran khan.
No.
Andrew is right.It's probably Mike Brearly.
I read a couple of articles about him.
He was an phsycologist and understood the phsycology of his players.

J

j+m

Originally posted by tosh1981@Apr 22 2004, 03:03 PM
ive heard a lot about stephen fleming being the best captain today... he really has done well - but its only been since the maturing of people like vettori, and the emergence of tuffey and bond that he has started looking good as a captain... so maybe its not all in his brain, but also that new zealand finally has some world class performers (NZ are one of my fav sides, btw - epitome of a team - and highly under-rated today)
:stephen fleming has always been highly rated as a captain even when we weren't doing so well. now our side is getting better and better- he's getting the results he deserves.

and he is now in the form of a lifetime with the bat :D

Users who are viewing this thread