Bloody Minded Innings in Cricket.

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Here we will discuss some of the best innings played by a player while injured. One thing should be kept in mind is that every innings has its importance and cannot be compard just based on stats,so we would choose a lot of best 10 innings which all would be collectively 10 best innings but none of which can be compared to other. i say 10 days after today we wud select those 10,till then add your fav.

here are my pick

#) Sachin tendulkar december1989 against pak. in cricinfo's words---" Hit on the nose by waqar yunis,fell like a dead,got up,wiped blood of his nose,medical attention was denied and went on to make his first 50 in test cricket." bear in mind that he was just 16 year old then and at that time there were no helmets so bouncer hit him straight into the nose and broke it. It was immense determination and courage by the young fella to score hose runs.

#) Sachin Tendulkar 1999,Chennai, Agianst Pak, scored 136 with a broken back. wasnt able to stand properly. i dont need to say anything more bout this innings as any decent cricket lover knows better bout that knock.

#) Steve waugh's Knock in the ashes with a injury.gutsy knock,i salute him for such determination. he is one of very few aussie players whom i respect a lot,(other being,Adam gilchrist,Glenn M'cgrath,Brett Lee,Shane Warne).

#) Injamam's hundred against india in 2004 with a broken back.

#)Yuvi's Hundred against England in secong odi with a back injury.

#)Pieterson's 84 against Aus with a broken rib.

i will add more as i remember,

max_dillon2007 added 6 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

i have used #) insted of numbers so that u wont get a impression that i had written those innings in any ascending or descending order. i place those not as equal but as unique individual charimatic performances by some wonderful players.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Yeh, I'd probably say Hayden's 181* in an ODi takes it for me. Another I'd like to throw into the mix is Andrew Strauss' Hundred against Australia in the 2005 Ashes after getting a nasty blow on the ear. Wasn't a particuarly threatening injury, but he scored a ton in the Ashes, and that puts it up there :D

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
i said include only serious injuries only otherwise there would be really long list. so avoid scratches and include serious ones only, or i shud include pontings hundred also in which he was hit was steve harmision on helmet and got a scratch on the cheek. and dont complain bout sachins head blow, he go one on the nose when the helmets dont have bearings,so ball actually hit hit right on the nose,okay.then he was 16 only and his nose was broken,so he would hav problems in vision to during the innings.also he denied and pain killers and medical attention.where strauss had all kinda painkillers before he resumed his innings. so in future inclde some serious injury like pieterson's broken rib innings. thats what a serious injury is.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ponting didn't make a hundred in that innings, he made 9. That was the first innings of the Ashes, Langer copped one on the arm, and then Harmy also got Punter with the one into the grill cutting his cheek. He didn't make a hundred in that innnigs.

Also, once again, it's spelt PietersEn

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Only batting is considered?

If not I'd like to include the bloody determination of Courtney Walsh in the Perth Test of 1997. Wisden Almanack puts it like this:

The hero of the hour was Walsh, who was carrying a hamstring injury and had not been sure he would bowl at all. He meant to bowl just one over of relief for Ambrose before lunch but ended up bowling 20 unchanged for five more wickets. He and Ambrose doffed their caps and bowed to the crowd before the West Indies openers thrashed out the runs needed for victory.

Walsh received an official warning from a doctor that his career could end if he bowled in the second innings. And the Perth heat was so searing that bowlers often bowled in short spells of 2 or 3 overs. And add to that the pain of a hamstring injury. Despite all this, the guy bowled 20 overs unchanged and took a fifer!!!

Absolute pinnacle of bloody mindedness.:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Anil Kumble's heroics in the West Indies with a broken jaw is also worth a mention. He took only one wicket, however that of Lara.

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
Sorry i forgot to include bowling heorics , thanks for reminding me. Kapil dev also bowled with a hamstring injury and took a 8for i dont rem against which team but i saw this on Start sports almanec.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Malcolm Marshall getting 7-for against England with a cast on his non-bowling arm.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Cricinfo - 3rd Test: West Indies v England at Bridgetown, Apr 1-3, 2004
Great innings, we had to work to do so well on that tour, wasn't all just hurricane Harmy and the rest of the quicks.

You give England back him, Tres and Simon Jones and we're the shizz. How much do we miss his attitude with our frail batting line up. I never understood why Bell was such a cert, always though Thorpe and KP should have played.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Cricinfo - 3rd Test: West Indies v England at Bridgetown, Apr 1-3, 2004
Great innings, we had to work to do so well on that tour, wasn't all just hurricane Harmy and the rest of the quicks.

You give England back him, Tres and Simon Jones and we're the shizz. How much do we miss his attitude with our frail batting line up. I never understood why Bell was such a cert, always though Thorpe and KP should have played.

who was injured in that match?

Marshalls 7 wickets with a cast on his non bowling hand, Haydens 181 with a broken toe.

Shiv Chanderpaul making a century after being knocked out by Bret Lee. Cant remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd test.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Oh right lol I thought this was like determined.

Oh well there's always room for some Graeme Thorpe love.

if you want an injured innings though I'm sure there have been a few against England where they have frustrated us no end. :D

tech.007

Club Cricketer
VVS Laxman's 281 against Australia at the Eden Gardens in 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread