Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Flatter than the Ashes 2010. :lol:lol

Brisbane's recent Ashes test was playing very well for the 1st 3 days & was quite a even battle between bat & ball. But in flattened out considerably on the final 2 days (although Cook & Trott did bat superbly).

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Brisbane's recent Ashes test was playing very well for the 1st 3 days & was quite a even battle between bat & ball. But in flattened out considerably on the final 2 days (although Cook & Trott did bat superbly).
Expected reply from you. Perhaps you forgot that at one time India were 100/3.

But then Tendulkar and Dravid are not in the class of Cook and Trott. :thumbs

6ry4nj

International Coach
Obviously its sarcastic.

But then considering you are talking to an english poster who has excuse for everything, i just told what he wanted to hear .

Lol and I'm talking to a (secretly) indian poster (ie. no info with avi) who has no answers so he resorts to this kind of thing.

India were 100 for 3? So what? You can bat badly on any wicket.

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Lol and I'm talking to a (secretly) indian poster (ie. no info with avi) who has no answers so he resorts to this kind of thing.

India were 100 for 3? So what? You can bat badly on any wicket.

Then you agree with him that Brisbane 2003 was the flattest wicket in last 15 years. :rolleyes

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It rained all through that 03 Test and they only managed about 2 or 3 days' worth of play. If you do remember what the pitch was like, then good on you. I know most of the batsmen did score quite quickly in that game, but it was generally considered that such aggression was also the best chance of forcing a result. I personally don't remember much more than that and I don't see much point in arguing with those who do.

I didn't much like last summer's Gabba wicket and I think it was probably under-prepared. However, I would agree that conditions were exacerbated by chances simply not being taken when they presented. In theory the wicket did present the characteristic cracks and footholes that usually come to the party; perhaps they needed to open up a bit more, or perhaps the bowlers did not get their lengths tight enough. I definitely think the latter was a concern of Doherty, who struggled to bowl a ball that could both hit the crack and head towards the stumps.

But surely this discussion is a massive digression when Brisbane hosts no India Tests this summer.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
about the tri series with india and sri lanka,

new zealand couldn't be part of this because of the chapell-hadlee series which has been set up between Australia and NZ, so NZ hardly enters that tri series these days.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
new zealand couldn't be part of this because of the chapell-hadlee series which has been set up between Australia and NZ, so NZ hardly enters that tri series these days.

Surely they could just follow rugby and have the CH series in the Tri Series.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Also interesting that a Twenty20 International will be played at ANZ Stadium (The Sydney Olympic Stadium) An experiment of a sign of things to come?

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It seems so easy now to blame BCCI for manipulating the playing grounds in countries where they tour. Isnt it the prerogative of the CA to decide the grounds for their respective home series? I dont think the BCCI has become that powerful to dictate where they want to play when they tour, and I dont think they will become that powerful.

And the last time we played a test at Brisbane, Ganguly scored a famous century and we did pretty well in that test.

Yes it's Australia's call. If India were touring first (before NZ arrived), then they would probably play in Brisbane and Hobart, rather than Adelaide and Perth. It's just the traditional order of the calendar. It's good because it lets the groundsmen work out a nice schedule every year because they can almost guess what days their Test will be on before it's officially announced.

It rained all through that 03 Test and they only managed about 2 or 3 days' worth of play. If you do remember what the pitch was like, then good on you. I know most of the batsmen did score quite quickly in that game, but it was generally considered that such aggression was also the best chance of forcing a result. I personally don't remember much more than that and I don't see much point in arguing with those who do.

Story time...I went to that Brisbane Test on day 4 - the Ganguly 100 day. Australia had no McGrath or Warne and were relying on Gillespie and MacGill a lot. The other 2 bowlers were Nathan Bracken (who never played Tests again after the series) and Andy Bichel - who bowled some absolute tripe. Probably why I've never been a Bichel fan... Bracken was decent with the new ball - even had a guy dropped at 2nd slip (might have been Sehwag, don't remember), but once the ball got old he was cannon fodder too. Still, Ganguly and Laxman played some really nice shots despite the fairly lame bowling and the fairly flat pitch - was lovely to watch.

Still remember that Tendulkar was LBW to Gillespie 2nd or 3rd ball on that day and I remember even the Aussie fans booing because they wanted to see him bat. Don't think the call was that great, but there was no DRS :p

Users who are viewing this thread